I am so nervous and upset

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Addie,

Call the surgeons office and find out what antianxiety protocols they follow. If they don't give you IV Valium, which causes you not to give a ****, then ask about a Xanax or Valium script.

Bakerchef told my story about dentists. I take Xanax for cleanings!

I am NOT an advocate for needless medication but I so TOTALLY understand your upset.

I will not discuss my knees............ But that's happening soon.

I get more freaked out for my cleanings than I do for fillings, makes no sense, I know, but it's true.

Addie, I completely understand and empathize. They do indeed give you sedation during the procedure so that you will be aware, but not freaked at all. You can ask for something beforehand to deal with the anxiety you are feeling right now too. I think they call what they do conscious sedation. You'll be very relaxed, hear what is going on, see lights but that is about it. Afterward you will be able to toss those glasses in the trash!

addie , i know how you feel. mine or at least the one in my left eye, is also ripe. i don't like things aiming for my eyes. ask for meds. i certainly will. however i do look forward to seeing better once they are removed.

Addie, I completely understand and empathize. They do indeed give you sedation during the procedure so that you will be aware, but not freaked at all. You can ask for something beforehand to deal with the anxiety you are feeling right now too. I think they call what they do conscious sedation. You'll be very relaxed, hear what is going on, see lights but that is about it. Afterward you will be able to toss those glasses in the trash!

Thank you. I will miss my glasses. I have had them since I was five y.o. Maybe I will get just plain glasses like they have for demos only. :)

I was told at my last exam that I have the beginnings of cataracts. Mom and Dad both had their surgeries last year. Dad elected to keep his glasses, Mom decided on getting rid of them. They are both happy. I hope I can stick it out until I retire.

addie , i know how you feel. mine or at least the one in my left eye, is also ripe. i don't like things aiming for my eyes. ask for meds. i certainly will. however i do look forward to seeing better once they are removed.

Thank you. Having something coming at my eyes freaks me out completely. When I go for an eye exam, I have to be the one who brings the eye exam machine to my face. That is the main reasonI never went for contacts. :)

I was told at my last exam that I have the beginnings of cataracts. Mom and Dad both had their surgeries last year. Dad elected to keep his glasses, Mom decided on getting rid of them. They are both happy. I hope I can stick it out until I retire.

I didn't know I would have a choice about the glasses. I am nearsighted in my right eye and my left eye is lazy. So I don't know how that will be resolved. It is obvious. I have to start making a list of questions before I agree to any surgery.

This is not good. In the past four hours, I have had to take three hits with the nitro spray just from getting upset. I need to calm myself down. Some deep breaths and self hypnosis are called for right now. :chef:

I didn't know I would have a choice about the glasses. I am nearsighted in my right eye and my left eye is lazy. So I don't know how that will be resolved. It is obvious. I have to start making a list of questions before I agree to any surgery.

This is not good. In the past four hours, I have had to take three hits with the nitro spray just from getting upset. I need to calm myself down. Some deep breaths and self hypnosis are called for right now. :chef:

The surgeon should ask you if you want to keep the eyesight you have now or if you want them to correct it. It can go either way. I wish I could be there to help you out of your anxiety. {{{{{Addie}}}}} xoxoxoxoxo

The surgeon should ask you if you want to keep the eyesight you have now or if you want them to correct it. It can go either way. I wish I could be there to help you out of your anxiety. {{{{{Addie}}}}} xoxoxoxoxo

Thank you PF and everyone else. I have oxygen in the other room. I went in and put it on, started to take some very deep breaths, forced myself to think of pleasant things. Like when my kids were small and did cute things. I then reverted to my personal mantra. Years ago when I had to consult a psychiatrist, he taught me how to do a quick self-hypnosis to get me through some rough moments due to a very severe case of claustrophobia. It comes in handy at times like this. Angina is gone. And I am much calmer.

I am definitely going to make that list of questions. I don't want them coming at me as they are putting me on the table. That is no time to make decisions while you are :wacko: from being premedicated. I just might be agreeing to having my head amputated. I must be feeeling better. I am getting my sense of humor back. :chef:

Dr. House: You know how they say, "you can't live without love"? Well, oxygen is even more important.

Dr. House: You know how they say, "you can't live without love"? Well, oxygen is even more important.

Anytime I have had to call 911, it just seems like forever till they get here with the oxygen. Usually it is only about three minutes. The firehouse is just around the corner.

They have a state law here that everytime there is a heart related 911 call, the fire deparment has to respond. And with good reason. They always have oxygen, the equipment to break down a door if necessary and in the case of an elderly building, the same key that postmen have to get inside that fits all the mail boxes. and they are usually the closest. A great law that has saved many lives. And also every firefighter is trained in CPR. And usually one of them is a trained EMT. Everytime I hear just one fire engine, I know it is a medical call. A little prayer goes up to heaven that everything is all right for the patient. :)

I have to laugh. At some point when I was a child, my little sister needed glasses. It was a muscle problem about the seating of her eyeball in the sockets. The doctor promised her that she'd not have to wear unsightly glasses but for a couple of years. Did he have to say that in front of me? Seriously. My turn was next and he laughed and said forget it, Claire, you will wear glasses every day of your life, forever! I already knew that, but at something like 10 years old, I sure as heck didn't need him making it sound like a life sentence! Which it is. Luckily, now they don't weigh a ton. both parents have had the surgery, but both still need to wear glasses.

I have known for about five years now that I had cataracts developing. I know they have to ripen. Well at the beginning of this month, I went to have an eye exam, and the opthamologist decided it was time to get them taken care of. I can't stand to even have the eyes lens machine come near my eyes for an eye exam. And to have eye surgery has me shaken up. I am not afraid of surgery. When I had the open heart surgery, the doctor said the main reason I came through so well was my attitude before I even went into the OR. I was completely relaxed. All my vitals were right on normal, even through surgery.

But this is different. I have to be awake for the eye surgery. I have had day surgery on my hand, and no problem. I was a little ticked off that they put up a screen and I couldn't watch. I was sitting up the whole time and heard every word. No problem. I don't know which is worse. Having the surgery while I am awake, or saying no and allowing myself to go blind. I have an eye appointment with the eye surgeon on March 5th. The closer the day comes, the more upset I become. If they would put me to sleep, I would be calmer than when I had the heart surgery. But they tell me I have to be awake so I can talk to them.

I am also concerned because I have had three heart attacks already. I am afraid that being as upset and nervous as I am that I will have another one before and/or during. I can't seem to get this under control. :wacko:
I'd share these concerns with the team. I have "dentalphobia." I brought a list of "rules" when I finally went to the dentist. The techs and dentist have been very good about respecting the list and, have helped me get past the anxiety I suffered from about going to the dentist. This procedure you are to undergo is routine to them, it isn't for you. If they are good at what they do, they will listen to your concerns and work with you, IMO. (I have a "rubber chicken that lays an egg when squeezed" that lives in my file at the dentist's office. That is what I squeeze when they are working on my teeth--if the egg pops out, they stop!). Oh--one of the "rules" is no talking to me or each other (office gossip) while they are working on my mouth. Another is "no lectures about flossing."

Last edited:
I was having dental fears too, but recently I had so much pain that I broke down and went to the dentist, 2 extractions and 2 root canals down and just caps and cleaning are left. My trick is to close my eyes when I see things like needles and big tools coming at my face. My dentist is also a part time comedian and practical joker, so it makes it more entertaining to be his patient, {his staff saran wrapped his car after a particularly mean joke} so I don't mind going at all. However if it was my eyes that were being worked on I would have to be knocked out.

The dentist gave me a script for a wonderful drug. Take 1 an hour before and one in the office...they had to wake me up and pour me in the chair. I was out for the whole procedure, got home and slept through the first 24 hours, no problem. If he hadn't done that for me, I would have gone to Bozeman that day instead of to get my teeth out.

Hang n there

Hang n there. When they (VA) did my left eye the only thing is I could I do is hear talking. Later when they did my right eye it was a little rougher. BUT it was worth it.

CWS4322 said:
I'd share these concerns with the team. I have "dentalphobia." I brought a list of "rules" when I finally went to the dentist. The techs and dentist have been very good about respecting the list and, have helped me get past the anxiety I suffered from about going to the dentist. This procedure you are to undergo is routine to them, it isn't for you. If they are good at what they do, they will listen to your concerns and work with you, IMO. (I have a "rubber chicken that lays an egg when squeezed" that lives in my file at the dentist's office. That is what I squeeze when they are working on my teeth--if the egg pops out, they stop!). Oh--one of the "rules" is no talking to me or each other (office gossip) while they are working on my mouth. Another is "no lectures about flossing."

The thing that I love the most about my dentist, is that she doesn't lecture me, even when my mouth was all messed up, she was gentle, soft spoken, and understanding. She knew that money was tight, and helped guide me through the process as I could afford it.

I have known for about five years now that I had cataracts developing. I know they have to ripen. Well at the beginning of this month, I went to have an eye exam, and the opthamologist decided it was time to get them taken care of. I can't stand to even have the eyes lens machine come near my eyes for an eye exam. And to have eye surgery has me shaken up. I am not afraid of surgery. When I had the open heart surgery, the doctor said the main reason I came through so well was my attitude before I even went into the OR. I was completely relaxed. All my vitals were right on normal, even through surgery.

:wacko:

Sorry you are so upset. I've got the same deal, only my appt is on March 6. Try talking to your doctor, and tell him you are very stressed over this, and see if he can't give you some anxiety meds. I'm not stressed about it, but another bad mammo will do me in.

I am counseling a friend now through her first bouts with chemo for breast cancer. I'm about determined to lose my hair when she does, her husband will be losing his, too! There is a good side to breast cancer...it's very treatable, the easiest cancer to beat!

I am counseling a friend now through her first bouts with chemo for breast cancer. I'm about determined to lose my hair when she does, her husband will be losing his, too! There is a good side to breast cancer...it's very treatable, the easiest cancer to beat!

A friend of mine had breast cancer. When her hair grew back after the chemo, she had curly hair. She called it the chemo perm. :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom