I can't stop crying with happiness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
Today I went to have the plaster cast made for my leg. But that is not the good news.

I was instructed to return in two weeks with A PAIR OF MATCHING SHOES. Two shoes! By the end of March 31st, I will be walking with both legs holding me up. I have been waiting for this news since July 29th. I will be able to stand at the stove and cook for myself once again. I will be able to go up and down stairs under my own power.

One of the very first things I did last July when I came home from the hospital was to toss my matching shoe that I no longer needed. Now I have to buy two NEW shoes.

Now if I could just stop crying with so much happiness in my life and enjoy the good news. Time to go shoe shopping. Flats will do just fine.

I'm sure this will be life changing. Having both legs I guess we take it for granted. Hope it all goes well for you.

Russ

Thank you so much all of you. Over the years I have had some serious setbacks. But nothing compared to what I have been through since July. Once I find that I can get around easier, it is my intention to put myself out there and try to encourage other amputees.

Hope never dies!

It makes my heart sing that you are so happy Addie!! {{HUGS}}

Thank you so much to all of you. Kanehoe, give me time and I will be in high heels before the year ends. You can take me shopping then also. Watch out folks. Two women out shopping for shoes! Thank you for the laugh!

I am going to need two pairs of shoes. One for everyday wear and a pair of flats to match my gown for the wedding. I am going to feel so rich.

Pirate asked me if I was going to be wearing slacks or long skirts all the time. Of course not. I want the world to see what you can accomplish if you work hard enough. In fact, come summertime, I may even be wearing shorts. Let everyone stare and ask questions. I will gladly share it all with anyone who will listen. All it takes is a few words of encouragement. Who knows who I will be able to reach.

Here in Boston, we have the Spaulding Hospital for patients who need to learn to walk again. It is where the man and woman who lost both their legs during the Marathon Bombing learned to walk. They are now married to each other. He is a very close friend of Pirates. Pirate had him talk to me and he tried to talk me out of taking this route. Said it would be very painful. Maybe so, but I decided to not listen to him. His experience has been entirely different from mine. I also detected a note of anger in his voice. So I listened to him, said my Thank You for your time, and decided to go my own route.

I guess what they have been saying about me is true. I am a gutsy old lady.

The sad part of all this story, is that when I mentioned this possibility to Winthrop, they said and did everything they could to discourage me. When I transferred to Lewis Mall, it was the very first thing my assigned nurse mentioned to me after she welcomed me to Lewis Mall. I asked to think about it for a couple of days, and I said "Yes!" Immediately, overnight, they had all the right people in place to work with me. They even had the wheelchair company come in and measure me for a chair that fit me. Katy, my nurse, had all the right folks available to see me overnight. They all came to me. I didn't have to go to them. Today was the first time I had to leave Lewis Mall. I NEVER expected it all to happen so fast. No time wasted. Today and once a week, I go to PT to exercise my muscle in my half leg. I started out with a three minute workout, and now am up to six minutes.

So if any of you are ever faced with a life changing event, just come back and read this post. Miracles do happen to the best and worst of us all.

Want a moment of laughter?

Last week I was in a strange bathroom. The toilet paper holder was way out of my reach. I stretched as far as I could and proceeded to fall off the toilet. Fortunately, I had my hands outstretched and broke my fall. Since then, I now have a roll of toilet paper sitting on the hand brake. It goes everywhere with me.

Today, the technician asked me if he should be worried about a toilet paper shortage. Should he buy stock in toilet paper? This banter went on for about five minutes. I told him what happened. He also took me into the bathroom to check for the distance of the holder. Sure enough, too far away to reach with comfort and safety. So he put in work order to have it moved closer to the bowl.

So folks, buy up all the toilet paper you can get your hands on. You just never know.

Oh Addie, I'll sit with you for a while and cry tears of joy, but then we GOTTA GO!!! Shoe shopping that is!
So so so happy for you Addie :flowers:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DXQRPGX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thought you might like to see what I decided on. Later on when I learn to walk with more ease, I can get a bit more heel. Thanks for the shopping trip. I really enjoyed it. I decided on the tan one to match my everyday purse.

Last edited:
From the bottom of my heart, a BIG Thank You to all. Sometimes all it takes is just one kind word and it gives that person the will to try even harder.

I know deep down I am going to make this adventure a total success. And that is due to all the support from this community.

Glad to hear your good news, Addie. Those flats are pretty cute - I wouldn't mind having a pair in black.

Addie, if I lived close to you, I'd be taking you out to the bars so you could drink and dance. There won't be any stopping you now. You GO!

Back
Top Bottom