"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2007, 04:22 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
Good thing I have absolutely no Velvetta in the house right now!!!! You guys tempt me too much.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:34 AM   #12
Head Chef

Great. Now that I have read this thread on the morning of my trip to the market I think a Velvetta purchase will be in my cart.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:33 AM   #13
Master Chef

Wow! I better not start talking about things like shrimp or something. The stores will be having a run on it and the prices will go up.

I'm glad to see I'm in such good company.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:39 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't think I've ever had Velveeta cheese. I've heard of it and seen it of course in the grocery store, but I've always used American cheese for my grilled cheese sandwiches. You guys have peaked my interest. I may have to pick some up next time I'm in town.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:23 AM   #15
Executive Chef

I will admit, because it's a healing thing to loving Velveeta. What is it exactly though? We know it isn't cheese, so what is it other than probably the main ingredient in Stouffer mac and cheese?
Old 12-01-2007, 10:10 AM   #16
Master Chef

From the Kraft site:

VELVEETA - CHEESE - REGULAR

Ingredients: MILK, WATER, MILKFAT, WHEY, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, ALGINATE, SODIUM CITRATE, APOCAROTENAL (COLOR), ANNATTO (COLOR), ENZYMES, CHEESE CULTURE.
Size: 16 OZ

NOw this is a bit misleading as it doesn't say cheese anywhere. But it has to have at least 51% cheese in it. The milk is turned into cheese by adding the cheese culture.

Actually, if you look at this properly, the milk is made into cheese which is then combined with the whey (a by-product of the cheese making process), and other ingredients. Velveeta is an amalgamation of different cheeses, salt, milk, water, and the other ingredients, blended together to form a smooth mleting, and very creamy cheese product. Just for grins, I made some home-made cheese product by combining medium cheddar, swiss, or was it mozarella, and cottage cheese with milk and salt. The result was very close in both flavor and texture to velveeta. The ingredient list used to say what cheeses were used and I simply used the same. There are now weird chemicals in it. The milk protien is probably sodium caseinate, used in powdered coffee creamers and a host of ready-made diet shakes (Slim-Fast type drinks, or Carnation Instant Breadfast). Anatto coloring is a natural coloring derived from annato, a spice.

Sooooo, the only real downside to Velveeta is the fat content, as with all cheeses (except the cheeses where the fat was reduced or elliminated). American cheese is basically the same cheese, but with less salt and flavor (a different mixture of cheeses maybe).

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:20 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover View Post
I will admit, because it's a healing thing to loving Velveeta. What is it exactly though? We know it isn't cheese, so what is it other than probably the main ingredient in Stouffer mac and cheese?
Velveeta. The Spam of the cheese world.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:36 AM   #18
Executive Chef

I love Velveeta grilled sandwiches.After reading all the post I cant get it out of my head and I happen to have some in the fridge.Its all you guy's fault
Old 12-02-2007, 10:03 AM   #19
Master Chef

*oerks* velveta...
my teacher at my education told me what it is made of... now I very rarely eat it.. but it fits perfect for Toast Hawaii...
on a sandwich I prefer real cheese....
and I'm hungry now....

LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote