"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-25-2007, 06:21 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Dear gobo. I imagine you feel as though you've been hit by a bat from behind. You're probably in shock and scared. I understand and I can understand how your mother feels. A number of years ago I discovered a lump in one of my breasts while showering on a Friday morning. I called the doctor immediately but, of course couldn't get in to see him until Monday.

I didn't know what to do. At first, I thought I'd keep it to myself until I went to see the doctor, but that meant I had to keep it from Buck for the entire weekend. Actually, I told him by the afternoon and I was glad because I was more scared than I'd ever been in my life. I don't think I could've made it through the weekend if I'd kept my news to myself.

Having said all this, if your father will be home in a couple of days, encourage your mother to tell him as soon as he gets home. If he's supposed to be away for an extended period of time, encourage him to come home or tell your mother to urge him to come home even if she has to give him the serious news over the phone. They both will need each other's love and support through this. My guess is they have been together about 20 years and will be experiencing your mother's illness together.

Do what you can to love and support both your parents and your brother. You may have to gather strength you don't think you have and smile when you feel like crying. Hang on.

The good news is that medicine has made fantastic advances in breast cancer treatment and it doesn't have to be the death sentence it once was. Think positively and learn everything you can about your mother's treatment so you can help your family.

You have a lot on your plate right now...job challenges and school. Try to do your best to keep a balance and lean on us here at DC when you need a shoulder or a hug. We love you and are praying for you and your family.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:44 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:09 PM   #13
DC's Angel

Strength to you.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:18 PM   #14
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
We are all here for you Gobo, with support and prayers for your Mom and family.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:54 PM   #15
Head Chef

Gobo, I don't know what to say. Please know that, as others have said, there have been major medical advances in this field. Get the information, help your mother to process it. Know that thoughts and prayers from your friends, including me, are with you and your mother. I know it's not an easy thing, but I have been through similar situations with people I love, and I know that the outcome can be positive. Wait and see what happens and expect the best, not the worst. You need to have a positive outlook--for your sake as well as for your Mom's. Pessimism is harmful on every level. You need to be strong, regardless of how hard it may be. Hang in there.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:59 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Gobo I'm sorry. Sending you and your mom possitive thoughts right now.
Stay strong for her. I know it's easier said than done but you can do it.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:22 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Goboe - hugs to you my friend. Your Mom is in shock. You and your brother are in shock. You say you have "so much stuff to do". You can do them goboe. Life does not have to stop and surely your Mom doesn't want you to put your life on hold. You just have to let your Mom know how much you love her and support her. Your Mom needs to talk to your Dad and your Dad needs to talk to the doctor. Then he can talk to you and your brother. You and your brother cannot shoulder this by yourselves goboe. Your grandparents are another thing. Let your Mom and/or Dad speak with them. You need your Dad's support right now. If you need us all you have to do is let us know - either here or via PM.

One thing about Discuss Cooking goboe - we are family and we hate it when one of us hurts. You hurt and it makes me hurt terribly.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:41 PM   #18
Executive Chef

My thoughts and prayers are with your mom,you and the rest of your family.Hang in there kid you need to first find out how serious it is and go from there.As others have said medicine has came a long way in this.Another really important thing to remember is to stay positive it can be one of the best healers along with treatment.Just remember you have alot of people here sending prayers,support and positive energy to you and your mom.Stay strong I know you will.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:31 PM   #19
Head Chef

My friend My late wife died of ovarian cancer
Old 09-25-2007, 11:37 PM   #20
Head Chef

Smile

My friend My late wife died of ovarian cancer many years ago before all of the new treatments have come out. If it is real serious get her to the cancer clinic in I think Cincinatti check for sure they have cutting edge technology
and it is rated the best..In the mean time be strong for your mom and brother, love her and do every thing to make her comfortable.. You DO NOT HAVE A DEATH SENTNANCE. Thin positive thoughts, belive that G d will be there for you mom. You have my support and prayers. feel free to PM any time Dave