"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-25-2007, 07:00 AM   #1
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
I don't know what to do.

Last night my mom called my brother and I to her room. She told us she had a doctors appointment today... She has.... breast cancer. My dad is away on a business trip and he doesn't know. My grandparents don't know yet either. I don't want to do anything right now... but I have so much stuff to do....

Old 09-25-2007, 08:19 AM   #2
Master Chef

Your mom will need lots of support to make it through. If she hasn't told anyone else yet, you need to find out from her how she wants to let people know. She should tell your dad but maybe you can let your grandparents and other family members know for her. Ask her what you can do to help. Sometimes there will be nothing you can do but sit with her. Remember that breast cancer is not the death sentence it used to be. There are many new treatments out there and chances are good that she will beat this. Life will change over the coming months as she goes through treatment and you may have to take on more than you have in the past. Don't forget to pray. Keep a positive attitude for her and yourself. You can be strong and remember the best Bible verse is "and it came to pass" it didn't come to stay!

Old 09-25-2007, 08:31 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Gobo - I am so sorry to hear of this news. I know you must be in a state of shock, as I am sure your mom is too. What should you do? I don't know. I wish I could tell you. Be your mom's strength right now - and pull your strength from those around you, including us here. Your mom has a battle ahead of her - I know you will be there for her and we are here for you.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:53 AM   #4
Head Chef

Oh, Gobo, I'm sorry to hear of this trial that you and your family has to battle!

I'm sure that you, your brother and your mom are still reacting to the news, and not knowing what to do right away is normal. You all need a little time to REACT; ACTION will come later.

I think if you focus on your mom and what she wants and needs, you both will feel better.

Sending positive thoughts and energies your way, that everything will turn out just fine!

Lee
Old 09-25-2007, 09:32 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Gobo: I am really sorry about your mother news. Remember that now there are treatments, there is hope that she could get well again. What she needs now is to know that she is not alone in her fight, so apart to helping her during the tratments, give her a good dosis of love and affection, telling her I love you Mom! because sometimes we need to hear it.
You and your family will be in my prayers
Old 09-25-2007, 10:37 AM   #6
Head Chef

So sorry to hear your news. But now this isn't as bad as it was say 20-30 years ago. Heck they have improved the survival rate in the last 5 years.
Ask your mom how she wants to handle it. If she wants you to help by talking to some of the folks that need to know, for her. Or maybe being there as she herself tells the appropriate parties.
My heart goes out to you. Stay strong and Take care of both your mom and yourself. She needs you.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:50 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Gobo,
Sorry to hear about your mother's illness and know you're not alone. When my mom was diagnosed with cervical cancer, I too was shocked but took the time to be with her through her doctors' visits and explanations about the disease and treatments. I made sure to be with her throughout her hospital stay (even if it meant taking time away from work and my family). Let her know she's not alone in this and that you and your brother as well as all the family are there to support her. Become familiar with her type of cancer, treatment and any and all support groups out there that can help. Remember to pray and stay strong. Keep us posted.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:01 AM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboenomo View Post
Last night my mom called my brother and I to her room. She told us she had a doctors appointment today... She has.... breast cancer. My dad is away on a business trip and he doesn't know. My grandparents don't know yet either. I don't want to do anything right now... but I have so much stuff to do....
Dear goboenomo, Now is the time to take heart. Tell your mother that waiting is not an agreeable answer to the situation. Ask her if she wants to tell your father or does she want you to - likewise with the rest of the family.
If your father will be back in two or three days ok. If it's an extended trip it's not ok. My dear friend, none of us will go to our graves thinking - If I had just stayed on that trip rather than returning home everything would have worked out. Will never happen. Your father does not want to be left out.

Please gently let her know that treatment must begin now. We all want to deny and put off - the good Lord knows I am that way. Age and a few hard knocks has taught me different.

God Bless your mother and your family.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:41 AM   #9
Master Chef

I hope she will be fine. My prayers go out to you, to your mom and the family.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:57 PM   #10
Senior Cook

gobo - I agree with what the others have said, and can't offer much else except that my thoughts are with you. I wish you, your mother and your family all the strength to beat this.

healthyfoodie
healthyfoodie is offline   Reply With Quote