"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-25-2006, 05:11 PM   #21
Master Chef

I've somehow lost a few pounds as well. But my weight has remained almost constant for the last 10 years. I was very slim unti I got married. Even then, for the first little while, I was able to keep it down. But every time my wife got pregnant (4 times), I got bigger. I call it sympathy growth. After 4 kids and learning how to cook whatever I might possibly desire, I topped out at about 60 lbs beyond my ideal weight. And no matter how hard I've exercised, or for how long, it just won't go away! Now add to that the cullinary expertise available on DC to fill in the knowledge gaps that I have, and the future of weight loss looks bleak indeed.

But I at least make healthy meals, as far as my knowledge will allow. And I have remained very active. But that weight is soooo stuborn. I sometimes wish I wasn't so passionate about food. But then I remember how much I like to create new recipes, and impress family members, and savor the flavors and the passion returns. Heavy sigh.

I know and feel what each and every one of you feels.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 05:22 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Know what, Weed (and everybody else)?

Yes, we'd like to not weigh so much that it damages our health. This is truie for some of us but not all of us.

However, when we don't look like the women and men in the fashion magazines, should we really give a rat's patootie (not that such a standard is everyone's goal, but still)?

Don't we all have people in our lives who love, cherish, or admire us for our other qualities? Of course, it's hard not to notice a nicely turned out specimen of the opposite sex (and I am an EXPERT on this one), but said specimens can open their mouths or do something that ruins everything that the visual presentation alone won't reveal.

I say we don't worry so much about what size our jeans are and worry more about the size of our hearts. Much more attractive in the long run, IMO, and more worth it.

Didn't intend to get on a soapbox here, but in case I did apologies all around.

Old 09-25-2006, 05:35 PM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef

Well said, bug. I must have a LOT going for me because no one is going to love me for my looks.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:26 PM   #24
Senior Cook

Hah! Hah I say. It's because y'all don't know how to cook a carrot cake that contains golden raisins, cranberries, walnuts, apple sauce, pineapple, etc., with Butter and Cream Cheese frosting the right way; or cheesecake either. I can make the tastiest carrot cake with frosting or Chocolate Swirl cheesecake and it doesn't contain 1 calorie. My problem though are the mashed potatoes and gravy! I can't make those without about 1,000 calories per bite! If y'all are really good, I'll teach you how to make the carrot cake and cheesecake with no calories!
Old 09-25-2006, 06:39 PM   #25
Sous Chef

Site Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Andy R Send a message via AIM to Andy R Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Yahoo to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R
Well don't forget we have a sister site www.DiscussFitness.com that also has some very nice, positive and great members. I think we should even think about tagging our healthy recipes and then have a feed of them running over there.

Now to go read the italian crossaint thread (man that sounds good right now)....
Old 09-25-2006, 06:54 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R
Well don't forget we have a sister site www.DiscussFitness.com that also has some very nice, positive and great members. I think we should even think about tagging our healthy recipes and then have a feed of them running over there.
That's a great idea Andy R!!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:56 PM   #27
Hospitality Queen

Awesome idea, Andy!
(but if they found out that we also worship pork fat and butter, would we be in trouble?)
Old 09-25-2006, 07:57 PM   #28
DC Grandma

Girls...We are not fat...we are fluffy.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:58 PM   #29
Senior Cook

I couldn't run to the letterbox......
Old 09-25-2006, 11:26 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R
Kool Andy, I just signed up on that board, too So I shall see you around over there as well!! Are there anyone else who are also a member over there?
And I think the Diet and Nutrition section can use some input from us