I erased a file on my computer and now I have no sound. Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
Deleted Computer Program

Uh-Oh. I cleaned up my hard drive & accidentally deleted a Program. Now I have no sound. I have Windows XP. What would the name of the Program/file be? Can I download it somewhere. HELP, please. TIA.

If it was just for games, I wouldn't mind... but I have a puter answering machine & won't get incoming calls. Argggh.

Last edited:
This is how much I know abot things like this if you filled the little cup...
but I would start with system restore then (ouch) reformat.

'-'

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, Z & Marge! At this point I'll try almost anything. Hope it's not restore, though. That's a little scary. Yikes. I was hoping for a quick download?

Mish, restore only goes back and adds what you took out. You choose the date of restore. Any day that you did something, it is stored there and you can go back and undo it. It WON'T take anything away, only put back what you deleted. It's very easy and nothing to worry about. I've had to do it several times.

Jim says you might have lost your driver for the sound. He doesn't think system restore will get it. If you've already tried that and it didn't work...you might try this. Good luck Mish!

Click on start.
Go to my computer.
Right click my computer.
Hit properties.
When system properties comes up...click on hardware.
Click the tab device manager.
Look down where it says sound, video and game controllers.
If there is yellow exclamation mark...if it says "update driver" click on it.
A box will come up and ask you if you want to search the internet for a driver.
Say yes and follow the wizard on out.

Deleted Program

Thank you All for your suggestions re Deleted Program, as originally stated. Restore did the trick. Thank you, TG. I have sound. Yippee. Still have the original problem of pages loading slowly and message Virtual memory low. Aaaah, computers.

Last edited:
Hey mish, go to CastleCops. They saved my computer a couple of times. They are sooooo helpful. It will be worth your time to check them out.

Back
Top Bottom