I finally started exercising

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We are still going strong. We have been shooting for 7 days a week, but usually get 6 in which is what we realistically expected. This past week we missed 2 days (thurs and fri) due to illness, weather, and some other things. We planned on walking longer today and tomorrow, but today on our walk we were both hurting and decided we would just do our normal 30 minutes. I am guessing we will do the same tomorrow.

I have notices my belly getting smaller. Not a huge amount, but enough that I can see a difference. That helps to motivate me to keep doing this. Plus I feel really good about myself that I am doing something good for myself and my family. That is the biggest motivator.

Great to hear GB. DH and I have been walking/jogging 45-50 minutes each time. We hope to increase it to an hour tomorrow. We also noticed that our energy is high and our clothes is fitting better.

my grandmother started walking 3 miles a day a few years ago to get in shape.

we have no idea where she could be today. :cool:

good going gb. i know what you mean about not recognizing your image in a window or mirror.

keep at it, and you'll be a happy, healthy old grandpa for your family someday. a ripped, lean and mean old grandpa. :)

my grandmother started walking 3 miles a day a few years ago to get in shape.

we have no idea where she could be today. :cool:

good going gb. i know what you mean about not recognizing your image in a window or mirror.

keep at it, and you'll be a happy, healthy old grandpa for your family someday. a ripped, lean and mean old grandpa. :)

buckytom, you better look for grandma. She might be wondering where you are? I bet you had a real sharp grandma. Bet she knew how to cook too. I think rockers for old people are thing of past. Now they are on treadmills. Guy where I go is 93 swimming everyday and does 20 chinups. May not get to be on cover of GQ magazine but how does he get ready everyday and remember where the pool is? He walks without any limps too. Makes me sure feel old compared to him. If I start doing chin up now maybe by 93 I can do 20. Another goal to strive for.

Exercising sure gives you different outlook. One thing is does for me is allow me to not take so many depression medicine. Have cut down on the wine too.

I wish you all the determination of these kids in the Olympics. Did you see what Phelps stomach look like? Wow! and more wow. When you get there GB promise to send picture. Just move all that is required.

I wouldn't stress too much about missing a night. Fitness is a disciplined lifestyle rather than a goal with a singular point of achievement. Yes, you need to say 'no' to yourself sometimes, and you can't let your lifestyle or the good habits you are developing seem like a tedious necessity restricting your life. If you don't walk every day, you're still walking a heckova lot more than you used to. That's gotta be good, right?

Same advice in regard to diet (the companion of exercise). Just be aware of your portion size and your approximate caloric intake each day. Eat what you want, but just be aware of the caloric density and account for it in your daily 'budget'. And you can strive to eat more fresh, whole, nutrient-rich foods... if you are able to improve your diet, you'll improve your health and your weight.

I have been exercising for the past 3yrs. Aerobic exercise 3days a week and weight lifting 3 days.

The biggest benefit I see is an overall feeling of being fit, I started eating rolled oats and continued with flax seed and I have lowered my chlorestral 27 pts in the past year.

Everyone doesn't have the time for a great exercise program but anything you do will make you feel better.

later

Hey GB... I found this interesting. I'm not sure what you do with your walks, but when I go running I do lots of interval running. My third mile I use the light posts that are around the track, they are spaced every 10 feet or so. I run 10 of the light posts as hard as I can and then walk for 6. I do this the entire mile. The same can be applied to walking.

I will have to watch that when I get home. I am guessing it talks about alternating fast and slower walking maybe?

What we do is walk at a moderately fast pace. Fast enough that we sweat and have to concentrate on breathing. There are 4 hills that we go up, 3 of them are substantial. We do go a little slower on those of course. We also take turns pushing the stroller which is an additional 55-60 pounds with the kids in it.

Yes, it talks about varying the pace of your walk. That you could benefit more (so it says) if you walked as fast as you can for 30 seconds, then slow it down for a bit (can't remember if it said to match the time interval for fast and slow paces). I'm going to try it when I walk to my cardio classes.

I did read something discouraging the other day about a study that said that 30 minutes of exercise is not enough to make a real difference and that it needs to be an hour to make any significant change. I forgot who did the study, but it was a reputable university I believe. I chose not to tell my wife about that one, especially since I do not really believe it. I can see a change already and it has only been 3 weeks.

I did read something discouraging the other day about a study that said that 30 minutes of exercise is not enough to make a real difference and that it needs to be an hour to make any significant change. I forgot who did the study, but it was a reputable university I believe. I chose not to tell my wife about that one, especially since I do not really believe it. I can see a change already and it has only been 3 weeks.

the instructor at the class I go to just mentioned last evening consistency is the main thing. Also only 30 minutes is what Dr Oz on Oprah mentioned. Your body will wake up to something happening. I just feel more 'toned' and not flabby as I have remained the same weight for more than 3 years.

Once again, keep moving GB, don't give up.

No giving up here! Even if my body did not change, I love that I feel good about myself for doing something (even if it is the minimum) to try to improve myself physically. The bonus is that I am seeing a change in my body. My stomach is getting smaller which is exactly what I wanted. It is not a major change yet, but I knew it would not be. My pants size is still the same, but when I see my reflection I look a little more like the GB I used to see.

I very rarely have 30 minute workouts. My cardio workouts including my walk to and from class are around 2 hours. Then my running is usually around and hour and 1/2. I guess the only time I may be around 30 minutes is when using my gym at home. I think 30 minutes is better than NO minutes. Every bit counts in my book! Keep up the good work GB.

No giving up here! Even if my body did not change, I love that I feel good about myself for doing something (even if it is the minimum) to try to improve myself physically. The bonus is that I am seeing a change in my body. My stomach is getting smaller which is exactly what I wanted. It is not a major change yet, but I knew it would not be. My pants size is still the same, but when I see my reflection I look a little more like the GB I used to see.
Same here GB. DH and I are beginning to see some results...finally. We've been walking 45 minute to 1 hour walks 5-6 times weekly for 5 weeks now. There's no significant weight loss on the scale (3 to 4 pounds) but our clothes are fitting better and we're beginning to tone up a bit. No more flabbies in our 40s! LOL Keep it up GB!

You too Dina. Great work!

For me the key is to not expect miracles. I want to lose weight and get in better shape, but even if I do not then at least I know that I am still getting healthier anyway.

kids of parents who exercise are that much more likely to exercise and kids of parents who do not exercise are less likely yadda yadda yadda.

GB, may I introduce you to... your father?

Yeah.

However, I don't think you need to blame your shape change on genetics as much as on your great cooking! But I certainly applaud you for taking the first step and especially for setting the example for the munchkins.

After all... you may be having to get into some fancy duds sometime next spring. (March? Florida?)

, I love that I feel good about myself for doing something

Me too. After I read your first post, I started thinking about what I could do. Lazy sloth that I am, organized fitness classes etc just don't work. But, we have recently relocated our offices. I am no longer on the main floor, I am on the 14th floor. Sooooo, I take the stiars rather than the elevator to get to the main floor. My goal is to eventually get good enough to walk UP them. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom