I finally started exercising

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I was on vacation last week and spend a lot of time in the pool. One day as I was walking back inside I could my reflection (without my shirt on) in the sliding glass doors and did not recognize the body I was looking at. I used to be very thin and in shape. Now I have a big belly and I am somewhat disgusted that I let myself get this way. I decided that I would start walking every night. My excuse has always been that I did not have time to do it, but in reality I just was not making the time. My willingness to do this has made DW want to do it too so instead of getting on the treadmill we decided to take family walks. Last night was our first. We put the kids in the double stroller and did a half hour of fast walking. Our neighborhood has a number of steep hills and then flat sections so we had some variety in how hard it was. The tough part was pushing the stroller, but it was not that bad. We both felt so much better about ourselves when we got home just knowing that we are making an effort.

We ate a healthy dinner after our walk and made another deal with each other. DW said she would give up coffee if I gave up my iced tea. My iced tea is loaded with sugar and her coffee is loaded with cream. She did not expect me to say yes to that so she was pretty shocked when I agreed to it. I am looking forward to this walk becoming a regular habit and to seeing the improvements it does for my weight and shape.

Good for you!

We have been taking family walks in the evening too. Except we keep making excuses when its super hot out....
I get frustrated with walking slowly because the kids always want to get out and walk (the oldest rides his bike), so be sure to strap 'em in tight!
:)

I could never give up coffee but I can make do with fat free half and half.

Have you tried stivia GB? I think that's the way you spell it, anyway. You also might be surprised that if you find just the right brand of tea, make it a bit weaker than normal (people always assume mine is too weak until they taste it) you might find that you can develop your tastebuds to really enjoy it with no sugar! I like a squeeze of orange in mine versus lemon.

And good for you and DW - the kids will love that too. I need to walk too :neutral:

Good for you!

We have been taking family walks in the evening too. Except we keep making excuses when its super hot out....
I get frustrated with walking slowly because the kids always want to get out and walk (the oldest rides his bike), so be sure to strap 'em in tight!

I have discovered Smart Water suzi - it's wonderful. I have issues with my electrolytes due to the fluid pills I take. The smart water REALLY perks me up after about 30 minutes. I found it in California - still search here for it.

will it make ME smarter tho????
That's alot of smartening to do for a little bottle of water!

Walking doesn't do it for me, I'm just that much hungrier :huh:
I find it easier to just avoid looking at my reflection with my shirt off :LOL:

will it make ME smarter tho????
That's alot of smartening to do for a little bottle of water!

You will feel smarter, that's for sure! :LOL: Maybe try drinking 2 or 3 bottles instead of just one? :-p After the kids play outside in the heat, and sweat until drenched, this might be a good thing to give them - I swear - I felt soooooooo much better! Well, I don't think it was the bottle of wine we had - I'm pretty sure it was the Smart Water. :ROFLMAO:

I could never give up coffee but I can make do with fat free half and half.

Have you tried stivia GB? I think that's the way you spell it, anyway. You also might be surprised that if you find just the right brand of tea, make it a bit weaker than normal (people always assume mine is too weak until they taste it) you might find that you can develop your tastebuds to really enjoy it with no sugar! I like a squeeze of orange in mine versus lemon.

And good for you and DW - the kids will love that too. I need to walk too :neutral:
Actually KE I generally prefer my tea (and coffee) without sugar. Whenever we are out and I order iced tea it is always without sugar. There is one brand though (Arizona Green Tea with Honey) that I am addicted to and it is sweet. It does not taste anything at all like tea to me, but I find it so refreshing and delicious. I am just going to switch to water which is much healthier and less expensive ;)

I find it easier to just avoid looking at my reflection with my shirt off :LOL:
Well that was my plan until our office manager started putting an exercise tip per day up on the white board. Her first time was some statistic having to do with kids of parents who exercise are that much more likely to exercise and kids of parents who do not exercise are less likely yadda yadda yadda. I decided that if I was not going to do it for myself then I at least needed to do it for my kids.

Good luck, GB. Walking is good for you. When I was working less hours and had only one daughter i used to push the stroler around the neighborhood. Now... Now i went and bought pants for my self and wanted to weare them last night, they did not fit. Time for diet and working out, i refuse to go into size 38 pants.

I wish you success "sticking with it," GB. My advice is: Don't skip a day. A day turns into two days turns into "I'll start over next week"...

GB, that's the way to go. I applaud your commitment.

Make sure you have plenty of Smart Water on hand.

I have been doing about 3.5 miles a day for a year now, at a brisk pace.
And I am 20 pounds lighter!
Just walking and watching what I eat; quantity and quality!

After a few months, I found that if I didn't get my walk, I was antsy and felt off.

My 2 hounds really like it too. We go along a creek greenway, and they get to swim
twice.

On days like yesterday, when the heat index was 104, it gets a bit sticky....

I started exercising after my vacation in May. I ride my exercise bike 30 minutes a day, plus lift some weights. I've slowly been increasing the resistance on the bike. I absolutely HATE to exercise but I feel good when I get it done and I'm starting to see a little results. I also walk the dogs two times a day at 20 minutes per walk.

Hang in there GB - slow but sure wins the race.

I lost weight years back..put some back on...took a little off, put it back on. I'm at the losing stage again...well, I'm trying anyway .....hence my Splenda thread in baking.

It's really a lifestyle change, with very little "going back" and that's my downfall - candies, cake and cookies !!!!

I'm anyway a small eater and I already exercise 6 mornings a week, and ride my exercise bike as many nights as i can....at some point I'll have to accept my body for what it is/isn't.

Ditto GB. We're doing exactly the same thing and we too looked at how big we were getting during our vacation. We gained 5 extra pounds during our vacation and I began to feel dizzy and shortness of breath. No more fatty foods for me or hubby now. We've been walking everyday except for these couple of days that are headed with a hurricane. Good luck to you all GB. You will see a difference in a few weeks.

Last edited:
a endless , on going, ordeal over my weight. i lose, i gain. i will and say again will not exercise my knees hurt to bad to walk very much. some times when one becomes older, you just have to accept yourself the way u are.

anyone ever hear.

" my face , i don't mind it. for i am behind it. it is the people in front that get the jar" same goes for exercise.

babe:LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom