I got a paid offer...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
to make a cake for a bridal party. Can you believe it?!??! Some people saw the fondant cake I made about a month ago and liked it so much, they offered to pay for another cake. That makes me feel like quite the :chef: . :LOL:

I declined to take $$, it's too much pressure, and I don't know if it would meet their expectations, so since it's a friend of the family, I just told them to go buy the ingredients. I bought a one of those zigzag pastry cutters that I will use to make little scallops in my fondant ribbon.

Congratulations! That is awesome!!!

Also, ----> If you don't already have them, go on your computer and make some business cards. Since this is a non-paying cake, I'd ask if you could put your cards out on a pretty holder. Also, figure out how much you'd charge for another similar cake, as I'm sure at least one of the guests will ask.

Thanks everyone! I'm really excited! I will definitely post pictures of the finished product.

I hesitate to charge for anything I bake because 1. I'm definitely not any sort of pastry chef and 2. I would have NO CLUE how much to charge. Should I just calculate how much my ingredients cost & tack on another couple bucks?? In the grocery business it's usually 25-35% profit, is that the same for cake baking? I also worry with the added stress of $$ it might take the enjoyment aspect of it away.

Is there anyone out there (not professionals) who has baked or cooked anything for profit, as a side gig?

I did a few times - some it was contract but for a few "friends" I charged $10.00 an hour for my time. They come out pretty good considering I move fast!

You will grow weary doing things for nothing - that to me would take the fun out of it. But this is good experience - wedding cakes are a whole different category in profit margin I think - I'm guessing. And you don't have to be a pastry chef to earn money baking. Don't sell yourself short.

I read somewhere once (here, maybe?) that you should take 25% of the cost of your supplies and your hourly rate to cover the costs of overhead and intangibles (wear and tear on supplies, electric, gas, water, etc). Since I do my baking on a small scale I don't charge myself much for my hourly rate. Only about $6-7/hr. The equation works out so that I'm making a small amount of money--and definitely covering my costs. Since we're not depending on this as a source of steady income I can live with that.

hey, that's awesome, htc! you're baking skills must be pretty impressive!:)
i'm not sure what you're supposed to charge. i would charge, though. i think elf made a good point in saying not to sell yourself short. it's really nice of you to consider doing the cake for free, but i think you deserve pay for your hard work.

htc,

how wonderful..I remember the picture you posted of your cake. It was so pretty..I'd have you do one for me without question..I'm with the others, charge for your lovely creations..
kadesma

Hey, here is a picture of the final product, not much different from my last cake using fondant, other than using the little pastry wheel cutter I picked up to make the little scalloped looking edge. :)

Here is a shot of the cake:

Here is my little creation made from the left over cake that I cut from the tops and extra frosting:

Here is my son's creation, made w/o any influence from me or help, I was busy with my cake. I'm pretty impressed, if I do say so myself, he did a good job and has a lot of detail on it. :) I especially like the fact that she has her tongue sticking out.

A Job Well Done, My Friend. Congrats and like Elf says It is alright to charge a little bit. I learned that on Working on Clocks, Computers and Jewelry. Anyway Nice Job !:chef:

Congratualtions!
A friend of mine has a small business doing cakes for weddings etc i will ask her how much she charges although it will be in australian dollars.

Thanks for posting the pic! What a pretty cake!! Certainly charge for your work - I'd be happy to pay!

Back
Top Bottom