"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-06-2008, 06:16 PM   #1
Senior Cook

I hate ironing! Steamer?

Ok, so let me FIRST start out by saying that I by no means am looking at buying this for Mother's Day. I may now know much, but I do know that you do not buy appliances for Birthdays, Mother's Day, or Christmas. In fact, my wife does not seem to mind ironing. However, I do..

What I am curious of is, has anyone ever used a Garment Steamer? Is it in fact a replacement for ironing? And is it actually easier?

Here's an example of what I am looking at, although, I am not sold on a particular brand.

Amazon.com: SteamFast Fabric Steamer- SF-407: Home & Garden

The problem I am finding is that the reviews talk specifically about the product. Like how hard it is to fill the water, or any particular problems people have had. None of the reviews that I have searched out have discussed the benefit to a garment steamer versus an iron.

I guess what I really want to know is.. Can I use one of these appliances to easily make shirts, pants, and shorts, not wrinkled? I assume it can't "PRESS" things..

I'll take whatever you have: Pro's, Con's or anything else..

-Brad

Old 05-06-2008, 06:30 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
We have had a steamer for years, Brad. Bought it to use to "dress" window treatments after installation. Took it home and used it to do our ironing. It does a wonderful job of removing wrinkles quickly. However, I still use a regular iron because I prefer the smoothness that I get by the "pressing" that comes from using an iron.

Our steamer is an older model of this Jiffy Steamer. Never had any problems filling it. I don't remember how much we paid for it because we've had it so long. Bought it at a local auction.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:12 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I usually end up leaving a shirt in the dryer that is supposed to be permanent press, but it ends up getting wrinkled anyway.

To bring it back to life, I usually spray-mist it with water from a used Febreeze bottle until its mildly damp, throw it back in the dryer, let it redry, and most of the wrinkles are gone!

I did have a portable steamer, but it fell and broke, so I had to throw it away. Yeah, I hate ironing also.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:04 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

about the only time i iron is when i sew. then you really need to "press" the seam or what ever.

use the drier as my iron. lazy me.

babe
Old 05-06-2008, 08:09 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
about the only time i iron is when i sew. then you really need to "press" the seam or what ever.

babe

I'm a compulsive ironer. Always have been. Iron, iron, iron. The only time it's a challenge is during the summer when it's so hot. (No air-conditioning in the house.)Then, I iron early in the morning. It's not too bad even then because we use fewer things that need to be ironed.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:18 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post

babe
Ditto, babe.

I don't buy it if it if it's not going to come out of the dryer ready to hang up, then wear as is.

Lee
Old 05-07-2008, 04:17 AM   #7
Cook

I do the same thing with DH's work shirts and the little 'business shirts' that make up my sons uniform for school. Directly from the washer to the drier and hung up while still hot and I don't have to iron them. There isn't much I do iron..
Old 05-07-2008, 05:33 AM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by candelbc View Post
...What I am curious of is, has anyone ever used a Garment Steamer? Is it in fact a replacement for ironing? And is it actually easier?

Here's an example of what I am looking at, although, I am not sold on a particular brand.

Amazon.com: SteamFast Fabric Steamer- SF-407: Home & Garden

The problem I am finding is that the reviews talk specifically about the product. Like how hard it is to fill the water, or any particular problems people have had. None of the reviews that I have searched out have discussed the benefit to a garment steamer versus an iron.

I guess what I really want to know is.. Can I use one of these appliances to easily make shirts, pants, and shorts, not wrinkled? I assume it can't "PRESS" things..

I'll take whatever you have: Pro's, Con's or anything else..

-Brad
I have two steamers. One is a larger steamer made by Conair. This may be the one. Bought it at a higher price on QVC or HSN.
Amazon.com: Conair GS4 Compact Fabric Steamer: Kitchen & Dining

It's pretty good. Works better on lighter weight fabrics. Doesn't always get all the wrinkles out. It's easier to use than an iron in that you can go over buttons, belts loops etc. It did start to sputter, but maybe I need more practice. White jeans will be the real test.

The other is a small handheld steamer by Joy Mangano. Bought it on ebay. I have to wait till it's completely heated or it will sputter & leave wet spots. The cord could be longer, & the tank is small, so you have to refill it. On the plus side, a steamer is easier to work with on silk, velvet - fine fabrics than an iron.

If you want a good sharp crease or use it for sewing to open the seams flat, an iron is better. Give it a try once, see how you like it, & see if there is a return policy. Hope that helps.

ETA: Keep in mind the steamer takes up more space in your closet or wherever. It's still easier, imo, than ironing if you don't mind standing up the whole time.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:59 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Wow, thanks all.. I think I will have to go out and get me a middle-of-the-line model and give it a try. Sarah was just happy that she could, in theory, do her curtains without having to take them down.

The washer and dryer are in the basement, along with my Office, so it would be the most ideal to take them out when the dryer is done. But again, it is all in theory. I can't remember my name half the time!

I will let you all know how I come out when I finally do buy it. I am going to wait until after Mother's Day as to not confuse it as Sarah's Present.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:27 AM   #10
Sous Chef

My wife has a pants press, but hasn't used it in a while as going to the dry cleaners is even easier.