I hate ironing! Steamer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

candelbc

Senior Cook
Ok, so let me FIRST start out by saying that I by no means am looking at buying this for Mother's Day. I may now know much, but I do know that you do not buy appliances for Birthdays, Mother's Day, or Christmas. In fact, my wife does not seem to mind ironing. However, I do..

What I am curious of is, has anyone ever used a Garment Steamer? Is it in fact a replacement for ironing? And is it actually easier?

Here's an example of what I am looking at, although, I am not sold on a particular brand.

Amazon.com: SteamFast Fabric Steamer- SF-407: Home & Garden

The problem I am finding is that the reviews talk specifically about the product. Like how hard it is to fill the water, or any particular problems people have had. None of the reviews that I have searched out have discussed the benefit to a garment steamer versus an iron.

I guess what I really want to know is.. Can I use one of these appliances to easily make shirts, pants, and shorts, not wrinkled? I assume it can't "PRESS" things..

I'll take whatever you have: Pro's, Con's or anything else..

-Brad

We have had a steamer for years, Brad. Bought it to use to "dress" window treatments after installation. Took it home and used it to do our ironing. It does a wonderful job of removing wrinkles quickly. However, I still use a regular iron because I prefer the smoothness that I get by the "pressing" that comes from using an iron.

Our steamer is an older model of this Jiffy Steamer. Never had any problems filling it. I don't remember how much we paid for it because we've had it so long. Bought it at a local auction.

I usually end up leaving a shirt in the dryer that is supposed to be permanent press, but it ends up getting wrinkled anyway.

To bring it back to life, I usually spray-mist it with water from a used Febreeze bottle until its mildly damp, throw it back in the dryer, let it redry, and most of the wrinkles are gone!

I did have a portable steamer, but it fell and broke, so I had to throw it away. Yeah, I hate ironing also.

Last edited:
about the only time i iron is when i sew. then you really need to "press" the seam or what ever.

use the drier as my iron. lazy me.

babe:blush::blush:

I'm a compulsive ironer. Always have been. Iron, iron, iron. The only time it's a challenge is during the summer when it's so hot. (No air-conditioning in the house.)Then, I iron early in the morning. It's not too bad even then because we use fewer things that need to be ironed.

I do the same thing with DH's work shirts and the little 'business shirts' that make up my sons uniform for school. Directly from the washer to the drier and hung up while still hot and I don't have to iron them. There isn't much I do iron..

...What I am curious of is, has anyone ever used a Garment Steamer? Is it in fact a replacement for ironing? And is it actually easier?

Here's an example of what I am looking at, although, I am not sold on a particular brand.

Amazon.com: SteamFast Fabric Steamer- SF-407: Home & Garden

The problem I am finding is that the reviews talk specifically about the product. Like how hard it is to fill the water, or any particular problems people have had. None of the reviews that I have searched out have discussed the benefit to a garment steamer versus an iron.

I guess what I really want to know is.. Can I use one of these appliances to easily make shirts, pants, and shorts, not wrinkled? I assume it can't "PRESS" things..

I'll take whatever you have: Pro's, Con's or anything else..

-Brad

I have two steamers. One is a larger steamer made by Conair. This may be the one. Bought it at a higher price on QVC or HSN.
Amazon.com: Conair GS4 Compact Fabric Steamer: Kitchen & Dining

It's pretty good. Works better on lighter weight fabrics. Doesn't always get all the wrinkles out. It's easier to use than an iron in that you can go over buttons, belts loops etc. It did start to sputter, but maybe I need more practice. White jeans will be the real test.

The other is a small handheld steamer by Joy Mangano. Bought it on ebay. I have to wait till it's completely heated or it will sputter & leave wet spots. The cord could be longer, & the tank is small, so you have to refill it. On the plus side, a steamer is easier to work with on silk, velvet - fine fabrics than an iron.

If you want a good sharp crease or use it for sewing to open the seams flat, an iron is better. Give it a try once, see how you like it, & see if there is a return policy. Hope that helps.

ETA: Keep in mind the steamer takes up more space in your closet or wherever. It's still easier, imo, than ironing if you don't mind standing up the whole time.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks all.. I think I will have to go out and get me a middle-of-the-line model and give it a try. Sarah was just happy that she could, in theory, do her curtains without having to take them down.

The washer and dryer are in the basement, along with my Office, so it would be the most ideal to take them out when the dryer is done. But again, it is all in theory. I can't remember my name half the time!

I will let you all know how I come out when I finally do buy it. I am going to wait until after Mother's Day as to not confuse it as Sarah's Present.

My wife has a pants press, but hasn't used it in a while as going to the dry cleaners is even easier.

I have a floor model and a hand held.

The only time I touch an iron is if I am sewing.

Thank God for the steamer.

I use a steamer for things like golf shirts that need a bit "extra" that the dryer doesn't get or just as a "touch up". My steamer has a crease attachment that works pretty good - an iron crease is crisper IMHO.

I have a floor model and a hand held.

The only time I touch an iron is if I am sewing.

Thank God for the steamer.

Interesting. Do you use your steamer for things like pants? Like a pair of black dress pants?

I think I am going to bite, and go find one locally so I don't have to worry about shipping. I know I have seen a few at Target.

I sure do!

I especially like steamers for my silk dress clothes. They come great.

Wanted to add - between the big steamer & the handheld (joy mangano), I usually use the smaller handheld. After the novelty of the big one with the large water tank wore off (for drapes etc), I found it easier to grab & go for the smaller one. Didn't want to drag it out of the closet on a reg basis. It's also great for travelling. If you're in a hotel room, just fill it with tap water & freshen up your clothes.

My insignificant other took my very expensive Rowenta iron with her when she split, so I asked my son to buy me a steamer for Christmas because I had a close personal friend who swore by hers. Well, all it ever did for me was set the darn wrinkles! I asked her about it, and she said "you have to take your time, darlin'. It's a Zen thing." I replied, "sorry, but I just can't seem to become one with the steam!"

Now that I have moved into a house, I left the 20 year old old Kenmore washer and dryer behind in the condo and bought top of the line LG washer and dryer with the steam feature, so I don't even have to try to steam the clothes myself. I just toss them into the dryer, put it on the STEAM setting, and in 20 minutes it's done, and looks just like I spent the 20 minutes ironing. It works great on t-shirts and Polo shirts too, which are next to impossible to iron.

you want a good steamer??? Move to Houston in August----that's why women have "dewy-kissed" complexions here.....sorry am in a light-hearted mood---leaving for the airport for the states in about 30 minutes-----yeah!!

Back
Top Bottom