"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-28-2016, 04:57 PM   #11
Certified Cake Maniac

The only thing about our place I hate is the kitchen! It is a really tiny galley kitchen and can get pretty cluttered pretty fast.

I put dish racks away as soon as dishes are taken out of them (I don't have a lot of hand-wash dishes). I have a pantry cupboard next to the kitchen which holds all appliances (except microwave and my KA mixer) when they are not being used. The Coffee machine is on the buffet beside the kitchen, etc. We also got a sink that has a fitted board for the large side.

There is still a struggle when I am making cakes or a large meal, but with rules in place it works.

Having said that, we are planning to sell again and are holding out for a place with a large kitchen!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 04:59 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
We also have too much junk in the kitchen. My wife follows the 20/80 rule, not the 80/20. ...lol...
It's a constant battle in my little apartment!

Old 02-28-2016, 05:10 PM   #13
Head Chef

Interesting to read that so many of us struggle with lack of space in our kitchens but are keen cooks.

My brother has a large spacious kitchen - complete with island, black granite work surfaces etc. Does he cook? Occasionally - what a waste!
Old 02-28-2016, 05:39 PM   #14
Master Chef

A couple of items I have found to be helpful in my small apartment are these folding racks. I have a tall one that I use for a bar, server, extra counter space etc... and a low luggage rack that I press into service as a coffee/tea table. The top is usually my large bread board with a cloth draped over it. When they are not in use they are tucked into the closet.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:35 PM   #15
Master Chef

I can't say that I "hate" my kitchen, but I would like it to be a little bigger and open to the living room where the TV is. No room for an island, but the countertops are adequate because I don't keep a lot of stuff on them. I like that it faces east so I get morning sun from the window over the sink that overlooks the back yard, and I can keep an eye on my grandson when he's playing outside.

The dining room is off the kitchen, that's where my table is, and there's a slider to the patio so there's plenty of light. I don't plan on making any major changes anytime soon, I live alone and it works for me.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:44 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I hate my kitchen!

My kitchen, while not huge, is perfectly adequate for me. I have a mobile island, but the top of it is sort of a catch-all for all sorts of non-kitchen stuff like vegetable seeds, drill bits and wood screws, and jewelry parts.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:46 PM   #17
Master Chef

That's another thing I don't like about my kitchen. It's not an open design. The kitchen is not open to any other room (dining room, family room, etc) in the house except to a circular breakfast nook. I don't like my kitchen.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:57 PM   #18
Head Chef

My kitchen is small but I don't dislike it as such....it has plus factors like a table and chair plus small TV. I do wish I had more working surfaces but it just means more careful planning, i.e. not having out too many ingredients, putting them away directly after use etc. Adaptation is key.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:17 AM   #19
Sous Chef

I'll trade any of your kitchens for mine. My kitchen floor space is 7x3. If I stand in the middle of my kitchen, I can stir something on the oven and stir something in a bowl on the chopping block across the room at the same time.

First you walk in through the door and 7 feet away in front of you is the fridge. To the right is a 20" stove, next to that, 2' of counter space, next to that, the sink. On the left is a 17" wide hutch with 3 drawers that I use to store my dishes and silverware in. Next to that is my 2' chopping block. To get into my room, you have to squeeze past the fridge and the chopping block, but I have a dead corner there and so I've gotten a pot stand and that's where my pots and pans go. Other ones are hanging under the chopping block.

I have a small single cupboard above the stove that I don't use because it's too high for me to reach. I have another double cupboard above the sink where all the food goes. I have one of those sink racks with a paper towel holder and a shelf for the sponge behind my sink. It goes all the way across the only counter I have, but that's OK - that puts the paper towels over the counter and not over the sink. I keep a small lamp, my recipe box, salt and pepper, napkins, dish soap and hand soap on it.

Under the cabinet over my stove, I've screwed in a bar and then I ordered a bunch of S hooks. That's where all the utensils hang. As many of them as I can get up there. To the right of my stove, I made a spice rack and that hangs on the wall right next to my stove. I keep three large canisters on top of the hutch and 4 more smaller ones across the back of my chopping block, along with a blender that sits on the corner. My measuring cups are all hanging above the chopping block on the wall and as soon as I can find hooks small enough to hold them, I'll have my measuring spoons up there too.

I keep a couple large bowls and the dish drainer on the fridge. I was able to squeeze my coat rack next to the fridge so I have a place to hang my purse and keys when I come in. I use the back of my door for a bulletin board and a calendar. At one time I thought I could get one of those over-the-door racks with shelves, but this is an old building and the doors are about 6" thick, so no door rack would fit over it. My chopping block has a shelf underneath and I keep all the pans and casserole dishes and cookie sheets there that I can't fit in anywhere else.

On the wall above my sink, I took two sticky hooks and strung a rope between them, and that's where I hang the dish towel. Under my counter is an open space and that's where I keep the garbage pail. My only work areas are my 2'x2' counter and the 2'x2' chopping block, and only on the space not taken up by sink racks and canisters. My hot pads are currently hanging on the oven handle, but I think I'm going to get those up on the wall, too.

I gotta tell you guys, if you have a walk in closet in your house, it's probably bigger than my kitchen. So if anyone wants to trade, give me a ring!
Old 02-29-2016, 12:27 PM   #20
Master Chef

Small, or even tiny kitchens are fine as long as they're practical. I grew up in Japan and lived in their typical homes and apartments with tiny kitchens.

Tags
kitchen