"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-02-2016, 12:56 AM   #31
Proud American

You should see of a galley in a fishing vessel!

My Gizzi has made miracles in a small galley! But small kitchens of homes may become nightmares.

I am sorry of these struggles. It may take away of the cooking experience, yes?

With love,
~Cat

Old 03-02-2016, 03:06 AM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Eventually, I'd like to live in a tiny house...This could be a reality if my wife did not have her shoe collection.
I would embarrass your wife with my shoe "collection". Three pairs. I'm SO not a female when it comes to clothes shopping!

When we moved from OH to MA we went from 2523 square feet and two kids to 1806 square feet and no kids. I'm now cleaning out decades of items that have been moved multiple times but have not been used enough to justify a return trip to OH. Even though we don't plan on moving to a tiny house, I'm sorting through stuff as if that's all the space I'll have for the stuff.

I just told Himself I would like to build One More House, this last one. If I had my druthers, it would be just a large Great Room (kitchen, eating area, family room) with little bedroom and bathroom pods around a couple of the outside walls. I miss the Great Room from our last house, but I don't need to return to large bedrooms.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:19 PM   #33
Master Chef

OK, roadfix and CG just made me go count my shoes. I counted 23 pairs, but 13 of those are flip flops and sandals , 3 sneakers, 5 espadrille slip ons, and stuck way up on the closet shelf are 2 lonely pairs of classic low heeled pumps, one light, one dark, for when I'm forced to somewhat dress up. I'm all about comfort and dislike shopping too - unless it's at a Home Depot or grocery store.

Back to kitchens....my kitchen is around 11x13 wall to wall, big enough for just me, but crowded with 2 people. I don't like the corner cabinets with unreachable black holes that make me either get the stepstool for the uppers, or get on my hands and knees and have to practically crawl in them for the lowers.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:54 PM   #34
Sous Chef

My room is 12 x 10, I think, and I've got a bed, 3 bookcases, a dresser, a heater (looks like a Franklin stove and I love it, so it stays), a 5 ft dollhouse on a 4 ft cabinet, and a 7 ft sofa, along with an end table for my computer and a plastic tree or two. I'm actually layering the furniture at this point. I have the bed behind the fridge, separated from that with the computer table and a folding screen, and between the bed and the wall I put two of the bookcases with the third one back against the bed on the other side of it.

I guess you could say in this tiny room, I've made a kitchen, a bedroom, a living room, and a dressing area. I will say one thing about small spaces - when you don't have storage in the kitchen, hanging as much as possible on the walls is incredibly helpful and going against common practice, putting "walls" up in a small room actually gives me more space to put things, as I have have made some artificial walls to push furniture against. Of course, my bedroom is only as wide as the bed and the "living room" space is only 9 x 7 and my dressing area is behind the bathroom door right in front of the dresser.

I like tiny houses and from looking at those and some trailers, I think the best place for a kitchen is at the end, where you can make it an L- or U-shape. I've seen some tiny house kitchens that have more space than my kitchen.

On this trailer, I'd have put the stove over on the other side of the sink at the end of the counter there, but that's just me.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:01 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
My room is 12 x 10, I think, and I've got a bed, 3 bookcases, a dresser, a heater (looks like a Franklin stove and I love it, so it stays), a 5 ft dollhouse on a 4 ft cabinet, and a 7 ft sofa, along with an end table for my computer and a plastic tree or two. I'm actually layering the furniture at this point. I have the bed behind the fridge, separated from that with the computer table and a folding screen, and between the bed and the wall I put two of the bookcases with the third one back against the bed on the other side of it.

I guess you could say in this tiny room, I've made a kitchen, a bedroom, a living room, and a dressing area. I will say one thing about small spaces - when you don't have storage in the kitchen, hanging as much as possible on the walls is incredibly helpful and going against common practice, putting "walls" up in a small room actually gives me more space to put things, as I have have made some artificial walls to push furniture against. Of course, my bedroom is only as wide as the bed and the "living room" space is only 9 x 7 and my dressing area is behind the bathroom door right in front of the dresser.

I like tiny houses and from looking at those and some trailers, I think the best place for a kitchen is at the end, where you can make it an L- or U-shape. I've seen some tiny house kitchens that have more space than my kitchen.
On this trailer, I'd have put the stove over on the other side of the sink at the end of the counter there, but that's just me.
What are these pictures of?
Old 03-03-2016, 11:38 PM   #36
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I just told Himself I would like to build One More House, this last one. If I had my druthers, it would be just a large Great Room (kitchen, eating area, family room) with little bedroom and bathroom pods around a couple of the outside walls. I miss the Great Room from our last house, but I don't need to return to large bedrooms.
Yeah that's how a lot of modern houses are designed. And a lot of people spend a lot of money knocking down walls to create a large kitchen, family, dining room all nice and open.

So you can watch TV and the kids playing while chopping veggies or whatever.

The rooms can be behind a common wall next to each other with a bathroom in between. That's how I'd design a house. Small bedrooms and more space for the common Great Room, because when I am in the bedroom I am in bed so the size of a bedroom is not very important.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:29 AM   #37
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
What are these pictures of?
Just small kitchens. I collect pictures of small kitchens - well, any kitchens - that I like. I build dollhouses and I'm always looking for decorating ideas that may work in a dollhouse. You're usually missing the fourth wall in a dollhouse, so that really reduces the space you have to work with.

I just thought people would enjoy seeing pics of small kitchens that look workable. If I'm not supposed to put pics up, I can take them down.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:18 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Just small kitchens. I collect pictures of small kitchens - well, any kitchens - that I like. I build dollhouses and I'm always looking for decorating ideas that may work in a dollhouse. You're usually missing the fourth wall in a dollhouse, so that really reduces the space you have to work with.

I just thought people would enjoy seeing pics of small kitchens that look workable. If I'm not supposed to put pics up, I can take them down.
No, I was just confused. You were describing your room so I thought the first picture was of your room. Then there were more pictures with no explanation, so I was confused No biggie.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:11 PM   #39
Senior Cook

That 3rd pic that Rodentraiser posted shows a stove just like my sister had in her 1908 house. It's a 1950's (?) O'Keefe Merritt. It came with the house. That house had an awesome kitchen. Really large kitchen with lots of solid wood cabinetry (original), subway tile. She had a huge stainless steel island/table in the middle. It's the only kitchen I've ever seen where 5 or 6 people could comfortably work at the same time.

They now have a smaller house with a kitchen 1/3 the size but still bigger than mine.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:47 AM   #40
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
No, I was just confused. You were describing your room so I thought the first picture was of your room. Then there were more pictures with no explanation, so I was confused No biggie.
If my room had a kitchen like that, I'd never leave this place. Most of those kitchens were larger than mine and all of them had more counter space than I do.

Tags
kitchen