"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-28-2016, 12:09 AM   #1
Senior Cook

I hate my kitchen!

I literally only have like 5 to 7 square feet of counter space once I subtract all the space taken up by small appliances, dish rack, etc.. It gets filled up fast when I am cooking.

And the kitchen is so tiny that there's no room for an island, and we don't have room for a kitchen table either. And we don't have a dining room, so we have to eat off trays in the living room. I have to carry all the plates, drinks, silverware out to the living room.

I was spoiled when I was out in California helping my mother fix up her new house. Her kitchen is massive with tons of counter space, and there's a dining room next to it with a counter/pass through where you can sit food, walk around and then grab it and place it on the table.

I also miss the 2 bathrooms she has in her house. "My" bathroom was original to the 1904 house and had a super cool claw foot tub, so I could soak my tired bones after 10 hours of construction work. She'd always ask me if I wanted to use her bathroom (with a shower), but I'd say "no, I love this claw foot tub, mom".

Ok, rant over. :)

Old 02-28-2016, 06:29 AM   #2
Head Chef

There are some things you can do to maximise the limited space you have there.

I, too, have a small kitchen. When I need more working surfaces, I sometimes open a drawer and place a board across it. Try it!

Also do you know about foldaway wall tables (if it is just you that is dining)?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fo...way+wall+table

(I can at least fit a small table and chair in my kitchen).

If you know of someone that is a designer, e.g. via a friend, perhaps they could come round
and tell you how best to make use of the space you have - maybe a reshuffle or getting a
smaller version of what you have there.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:36 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Sometimes I put the cutting board over the sink to have more counter space..

I had an apartment once that was so small I had to go outside to change my mind...
Old 02-28-2016, 09:16 AM   #4
Wine Guy

I recently moved into a 1 bedroom apartment after having a huge kitchen for many years, so I can completely relate to your rant.

I can't offer much advice, but I can relate.

As soon as my lease is up, I'm getting back into a house as quickly as possible.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:04 AM   #5
Senior Cook

I know what you mean JD. I also have a very small kitchen. It has room for a small table but you couldn't get chairs around it. One of the things I did was get rid of the table and bought a small chest freezer (5 or 6 square feet I don't remember) and use the top of it for counter space. I also realized all I used the microwave for was popcorn so I got rid of it and just make popcorn on the stovetop. It really doesn't take much longer.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:14 PM   #6
Master Chef

I hate my kitchen too. House was built in 1978. It looks totally dated (even with modern built-in fridge) and doesn't get enough natural light too. It needs new flooring, cabinets, counter tops, and a skylight installed in the very high ceiling. Basically, it needs a complete re-model.
Old 02-28-2016, 02:21 PM   #7
Master Chef

Another small kitchen here!

The less "stuff" you have the more spacious your kitchen will become.

Apply the 80/20 rule to everything you have and keep only the 20% of items you use 80% of the time, improvise the other 20% of the time.

Take a tour around Before & After | Apartment Therapy for some ideas on living in small apartments on a budget.
Old 02-28-2016, 02:45 PM   #8
Head Chef

Lightbulb

I suppose you know how to maximise storage space for drinking mugs and spice racks?

http://liferearranged.com/wp-content...5/IMG_5772.jpg

You can buy spice racks to hang from the same position too...admittedly I had to screw 2
'L' shaped brackets onto the frame of the spice rack going into the bottom of the unit. Very basic.
Old 02-28-2016, 02:59 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
I suppose you know how to maximise storage space for drinking mugs and spice racks?

http://liferearranged.com/wp-content...5/IMG_5772.jpg

You can buy spice racks to hang from the same position too...admittedly I had to screw 2
'L' shaped brackets onto the frame of the spice rack going into the bottom of the unit. Very basic.
Great idea! No, our kitchen is not set up well at all. All the spices sit on top of the stove/oven.

I also want to install a rack in the ceiling to place pots and pans.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:43 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post

Apply the 80/20 rule to everything you have and keep only the 20% of items you use 80% of the time, improvise the other 20% of the time.
We also have too much junk in the kitchen. My wife follows the 20/80 rule, not the 80/20. ...lol...

Tags
kitchen