"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-09-2008, 10:48 AM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by middie View Post
Sounds to me like she may be jealous of you ?
That's what it seems to me, Middie. She's jealous of me, jealous of the male cat, and jealous of the dog. DH is the only one she likes.

Grillingfool, I have thought of that, too. It would probably be the kindest thing to have her put down, unless I could find another home for her, where there are no other pets and she could be the queen bee.

Our shelter doesn't put down any animals except those that are vicious or very sick. If they can't find homes for them here, they send them to other shelters, Chicago in particular. But it would be very traumatic for her.
It's also very traumatic for me to get peed on by my pet!

Old 10-09-2008, 10:53 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

You won't find an objection from me on that one, GF.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:48 PM   #23
Master Chef

Just a thought but if she likes DH and is getting back ot you for the attention he pays to you, maybe he's the one who should handle the discipline. If you're the one putting her out of the room and confining her places etc, she may take that as further proof you're the "enemy" and not change her behavior at all.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:19 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
Just a thought but if she likes DH and is getting back ot you for the attention he pays to you, maybe he's the one who should handle the discipline. If you're the one putting her out of the room and confining her places etc, she may take that as further proof you're the "enemy" and not change her behavior at all.
You can discipline a cat? Tell me how because I've got one I'd love to whack the carp out of for similar reasons. He does not understand that towels are not the litter box. He used to go outside at my old house and his pee habit I attributed to the fact that the towels were always on the ground in our hall (no laundry room) the whole house smelled like cat pee and mold.

Then I moved him to the new house. I've kept the house clean and now he doesn't want out all the time. An acre of backyard and he'd rather sleep on the couch. Well, now he seeks out towels that have been forgotten. I had a towel hanging and he went for it. If he'd go back to being an outdoor cat, he could stay, but if this keeps up, he's going to the same place as Constance's is.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:33 PM   #25
Master Chef

I'm not that familiar with cats. We have dogs since DH is allergic to cats. I don't know if that will work or not but it just seemed logical that if DH is the fave, maybe if he's the one to put kitty out of the room or any of the other things suggested in this thread, it might make a difference to the cat. May not, I don't know.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:09 PM   #26
Executive Chef

jabbur ~ I've had both cats and dogs. You can disciple a dog, you can train a dog with relatively little effort. Cats on the other hand are totally different. It was once said, accurately I might add, that "cats were worshipped 1000 years ago in Egypt and they've NEVER forgotten." It is also said that "Humans don't own cats, cats own humans." I believe both are true.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:14 PM   #27
Master Chef

place an ad. i got 3 calls after my ad from people interested in charlotte & tig. i owned 2 adult kitties, also put they were fixed, vaccinated & siblings. (before making a decision to give my 2 to my Parents). i miss them, visit on sundays, & we plan fer them to return when a landlord accepts them.
is your litterbox immaculate? if my kitties weren't they'd piddle right outside thier box. excellent jake likes to clean... cause then thier box was tidy.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:35 PM   #28
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Callisto - The way I heard it is - "Dogs have owners, cats have staff". I still love 'em. They ARE independent.

Constance - I agree with everyone that said that it is behavioral. Rather than attempt cat psychology, if this only happens when the bed is occupied with a human. crate the cat at night.

AC
Old 10-09-2008, 09:03 PM   #29
Everymom

Sounds nuts but this works, if you can catch her in the act hiss at her like you are another cat. Seriously. Solves many ills from aggression to peeing. At worst, it can't hurt anything except maybe your pride. Your cat is "p***ed off" at you for something, quite literally. Remind her who is boss in your house and it might fix things.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:59 PM   #30
Head Chef

Oh, you can definitely train and discipline a cat. You just have to get inside their minds.
Watch them, learn their communications and use them. Like Alix said, Hissing is QUITE effective if used correctly. So are squirt bottles, cans full of marbles (throw them), and other attention getting devices. Cats learn acceptable behavior from other cats, and they can learn from humans too.

Case in point... my big cat Baxter used to have a really expensive habit of chewing electronic device recharging cords. Replacement chargers ain't cheap!

So I laid one out and hid. When he went for it, Shock and Awe rained down upon him. Hissing, squirting and cans all at once.
Didn't see him for the rest of the day and part of the night, but he's never touched another one.

You can't speak Human to a cat. Speak their language. When a cat disciplines another cat, the disciplined one KNOWS it has erred. Speak their language, in spades!