"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-10-2008, 01:39 AM   #31
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Before we went on vacation, our cats would use their box most of the time, but they would go other places as well. They were boarded for a few weeks while we were gone, and now they only go in their box. I'm not suggesting boarding your cat for a few weeks, but maybe what pacanis suggested would work.

Barbara

Old 10-10-2008, 09:15 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Okay, GF, I'm on my way to Raleigh with two cats ~ you train them and I'll be back the next time a hurricane hits Charlotte to pick them up. I'm outnumbered and most of the time they look at all the methods you mentioned and just laugh. They know they outnumber me. They rule, I drool.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:03 AM   #33
Head Chef

Callisto, I'm leaving town, sorry! hahahaha
Maybe I am lucky, but every cat I've had has been "trainable" in most things.
Course, they have all found me in times of need, so perhaps that has something
to do with it.

I tell ya... watch THEM enforce the rules amongst themselves, and see if that gives
you ideas. Like our old cat, a prissy Queen, allows the young boys to chase her
around in the morning, but in the evening, if they try she lets them get right in her
face, then gives them the low slow growl while maintaining eye contact.
They ALWAYS back off.
So to get the boys to stay out of areas, I sit and wait, and when they try, I give
them MY low, slow cat growl. Sometimes I even give them that hissss with the click
at the end. It works; they back off and stay out of whereever it is I want them out of.

YMMV of course...... it has been said that I am a weirdo geek nerd type guy, so.....
Old 10-10-2008, 11:19 AM   #34
Master Chef

Well, Kim blocked of Mei Yu's hiding place behind the water bed. When I went to run her out of the bedroom, she headed for her hiding place and actually bounced of the cardboard.
Then she ran out of the bedroom and I shut the door, so all is well for the present. We'll see if she decides to act up in the daytime, now.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:42 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
Well, Kim blocked of Mei Yu's hiding place behind the water bed. When I went to run her out of the bedroom, she headed for her hiding place and actually bounced of the cardboard.
Then she ran out of the bedroom and I shut the door, so all is well for the present. We'll see if she decides to act up in the daytime, now.
Our pets always keep us on edge. Just love them too much to give them up! I think this problem helped me make up my mind about getting a cat. The dogs haven't done this so far. My brother's cat jumps on his kitchen table. If that doesn't make me mad. He says she never goes outside so it is okay. How would y ou feel? Almost as bad as going on a pillow! cat urine smells really different.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:52 PM   #36
Executive Chef

My cats have the run of the house. There is no kitchen table, it's a laundry table in the new house because of space issues. They are allowed to jump on it, on the washer, the dryer, the windows, the dressers, anywhere they want to jump as long as they don't pee on it when they get there. I had the pee issue in my old house where they did go on my bed. I cleaned it really well and flipped it in the new house and so far, so good when it comes to the bed. Now if Boogity would just stop peeing on towels.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:11 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Sounds nuts but this works, if you can catch her in the act hiss at her like you are another cat. Seriously. .
lol, you should see alix at the zoo!

(i think i heard one of the monkeys say "oh brother...we've got a live one")

most cats are definitely trainable. not the the degree of a dog, but you can certainly get them to do or not do things, once you understand their stimuli. a lot of the same rules apply as with training any animal, such as positive and negative reinforcement.

dw has trained our cats not to scratch furniture by carrying them over to the sisal posts, and imitating the behaviour for them to see. if they do it again, she shreiks and shows them over and over. heck, i've learned to do a lot of things to avoid that shreik!

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 02:30 PM   #38
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
dw has trained our cats not to scratch furniture by carrying them over to the sisal posts, and imitating the behaviour for them to see. if they do it again, she shreiks and shows them over and over. heck, i've learned to do a lot of things to avoid that shreik!
You would do well with my DH! I've trained him the same way! He sometimes says he'll do anything to not have to hear me yell!
Old 10-11-2008, 09:02 PM   #39
Head Chef

Our Domino has somehow been trained to eat any living plant in the house....I gave up on them and bought silk plants....she ate them too....evidence was returned on the carpet!

She has always been immaculately litter-box trained. She was so very tiny when we brought her home I put a box upstairs in our bedroom and another downstairs in the laundry room. Never not one time did she eliminate outside her litter box even when she was very ill. (Lindatoo puffs up with pride...)

After about a year we realized she never used the box upstairs in our bedroom so we took it out. The very next day she peed on our down comforter in our bedroom right in front of DH !!!!!!! From downstairs I heard him cry "Oh Domino No! No! No!" DH is more the cat person than I am though I love all critters beyond belief. The litter box was returned immediately and has remained there. No further problems. She made her statement. We heard her. We complied. All is well.

But I agree with the idea of your husband doing the discipline and another thought (or perhaps I'm repeating) confining her at night to a small room. They really don't like to soil their dens.

Good luck - please give her another chance!