"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-08-2008, 11:31 AM   #1
Master Chef

I hate to do it, but...

I am at my wits end! I am fed up and disgusted!

My 9 year old female Siamese has started urinating in my bed again, right by (and even on) my pillows while am sleeping. She doesn't do it anyplace else, so it's not a bladder problem.
I make sure her litter box is clean, and try to give her plenty of attention, but it hasn't worked, and so, unless someone comes up with a better idea, she's going to the animal shelter tomorrow.

It's either her or me!

Old 10-08-2008, 12:30 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Is there anything that can be stressing the cat? My cat at the moment is wetting the bed and I know there are several possible causes for him to do this. Have you changed washing powders recently? Are you renovating? Cats are very sensitive to change, some more so than others, and they can do things like this for a reason.

Cats don't like toileting near where they eat. Try feeding her on the bed for a while (where she is urinating) and see if that stops it.

Could you exclude her from the room?

If you are sure it is not a medical reason, how about an animal behaviourist?

Don't give up on her just yet! I know (boy do I know!!) how frustrating this can be. I have put a lot of towels on my bed just under where he sleeps - saves me having to wash the duvet all the time. It doesn't always work but it works often enough to keep on doing it. There is probably a good reason in the cat's eyes that just isn't obvious to you - yet.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:56 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I spoke with a cat rescue person about this just the other week, someone's cat I know was failing to use the litterbox all of a sudden. No changes to anything else. She sighed and said it was the biggest reason cats were turned in.... You could sense the disappointment in her tone because she knew it was a real problem that you can't live with, or at least most people.
She said the only thing that might work sometimes (that she has found) is to retrain the cat to use the litterbox. And you do that by confining it to an enclosure, like the ones Petsmart sells. Typically 2 x 3 x 2ft high with a shelf inside. They make larger ones, too. Again, it doesn't work all the time, but sometimes it does. She said once they start not using their litterbox, it is a hard habit to break.

Good luck.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:02 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

connie, we had a similar problem with one of our cats throughout her whole life.

if we went away for a day or two, she would poop and pee on one of our couches. we assumed it was seperation anxiety, but we still had her checked out by the vet to make sure it wasn't a physical problem. we made sure she had clean litter boxes, lots of food and water, run of he whole house, etc.. we even covered the couch in aluminum foil when we went away because we heard that cats don't like to walk or sit on it. not true. in fact, she kind of liked the crinkle factor, before ripping a hole in it to defecate.

after a few times of trying to clean up the messes, we ended up throwing out the couch.

i agree with bilby that it's a behavioural problem, and before giving up on the cat, try to figure out what's triggering it.

and get a new bed.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:04 PM   #5
Head Chef

My cat quit using the litter box once and I asked the vet about it and he suggested the same thing as Pacanis. I didn't have a small cage so I locked her in one of the bathrooms with the litter box and she started using it again so it might just work for you too.

I totally understand your dilema but I would hate to see you have to send her to a shelter, at her age they will more than likely put her to sleep. If "retraining" her doesn't work, maybe you could make her an outside cat?
Old 10-08-2008, 01:09 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I've ended up with a couple of cats that don't use litterboxes. I put the boxes on newspaper and they use the newspaper instead. (The newspaper is on one of those plastic carpet protectors, and that in turn sits on a slate floor. I gave up one of my two bathrooms for their toileting area.)

The ones that try to spray in the house, I shout at (they don't like the loud noise) and spray with a water bottle. They normally only do it as a way of registering a complaint and normally run to the kitty litter after that.

How about trying some citrus spray on your pillows? cats don't usually like orange or lemon smells but we generally do like them.

Think I would go to the vet though if the simple tricks don't work, just to rule out any health issues (not necessarily bladder related). The cat could be trying to get your attention.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:15 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Oh and invest in a pillow protector! (I put a towel next over my pillow at night as well!)
Old 10-08-2008, 01:44 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

lock kitty out of your bedroom. problem solved. too old to take to pound, she deserves better. would you take your child to pound if toliet training was diffcult?
Old 10-08-2008, 02:03 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Kirby had the same problem. Started in the exercise room, closed him out. He went to the office room. Closed him out. moved his food, got ridiculously religious with his box... he went in my room. Closed him out.

Kept the kids away from him.... he went in my dining room.
This is all only urine by the way, never the other.
The dining room was the last straw. He went to the shelter.

And yes, if my 6 year old went in my dining room after a year and a half of chances, he would be gone too.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:07 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

suz, you know that is not true. you would take child to dr. to rule out physical problems. when you have had the pleasure of a pet for that many years , you owe it something.

my daughter does this with cats all the time. disposal pets i call em. no one should take on a pet, if they aren't prepared to keep them for their life time. the pet , not the person.

sit with the pet while they give it a shot to put to sleep. don't think you would do it again unless pet was in pain with incurable illness.