I have a confession.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BeccaBugs

Assistant Cook
I love Christmas. Seriously I'm that excited about Christmas it's insane. Lol!

Anyway, every Christmas I see all these fancy cheese platters and stuff that look so damn good, and every year I buy a huge block of stilton. But.. I don't like it! LOL!
There's just something so Christmasy about a giant wedge of stilton, every year I buy it completely convinced I'm going to like it. I have about 3 chunks on some nice crackers. Then I end up giving it to a friend. LOL!

I think there's something wrong with me.

I think it's the fact that I pride myself in liking most foods, it's a bit of denial methinks. I like blue cheese salad dressing! But blue cheese on it's own just doesn't do it for me. Lol!

Maybe try making some of your blue cheese into a spread and try somethong else on the cracker with it. Maybe mix some of it with a little sour cream, then spread that on the cracker and top with some dried fruit or fruit preserves.

I disliked blue cheeses when I was younger. How old are you? For some people blue cheese is an acquired taste, as learning to like red wine can be. I didn't like it at all in my 20s, could tolerate some in my 30s. Now, in my 50s, my husband jokes with our local purveyor of cheese that his wife would rather have a wedge of blue cheese than a box of chocolates (true!). If memory serves me, though, aged stilton is a really, really strong blue. I like the American Maytag blue, which is milder and creamier. But then, I like them all these days. Great with fruit and nuts.

But then the friends you give the stilton to probably will hate us for telling you how to love it!

Maybe try making some of your blue cheese into a spread and try somethong else on the cracker with it. Maybe mix some of it with a little sour cream, then spread that on the cracker and top with some dried fruit or fruit preserves.

That is an awesome idea! I think because I'm such a purist when it comes to cheese that I never thought of making it into a spread or anything.
I bought a nice wedge of applewood smoked cheddar and about had a heart attack when my husband put it on a sandwich! LOL!

I disliked blue cheeses when I was younger. How old are you? For some people blue cheese is an acquired taste, as learning to like red wine can be. I didn't like it at all in my 20s, could tolerate some in my 30s. Now, in my 50s, my husband jokes with our local purveyor of cheese that his wife would rather have a wedge of blue cheese than a box of chocolates (true!). If memory serves me, though, aged stilton is a really, really strong blue. I like the American Maytag blue, which is milder and creamier. But then, I like them all these days. Great with fruit and nuts.

But then the friends you give the stilton to probably will hate us for telling you how to love it!

I'm 27! :)
I know your tastes change as you age, I've noticed things I LOVED eating when I was in my late teens/early 20's just aren't doing it for me anymore.
As for wine, that's another thing I can't wrap my head around. People LOVE the stuff and every time I try it I'm just like.. bleh! Maybe in 10 years I'll love the stuff. :)
I don't know if I could get Maytag Blue in the UK, but I can get Danish Blue. Have you tried that?

Thank you both! :)

Blue cheese is definitely an acquired taste. And I wouldn't start with Stilton, which is one of the strongest.

I "broke in" with dolcelatte Gorgonzola. (There's another, stronger, crumblier Gorg sometimes called "Mountain" Gorgonzola -- don't go with that!)

These days, in addition to Roquefort (which I won't allow myself to buy in US due to the triple duty imposed on it) my favorites are American blues!

#1 is Point Reyes Blue (from the Marin peninsula in CA)
and after that, several of the Rogue Creamery's (Oregon) offerings; Deep Ellum Blue from Mozzarella Co (Dallas TX); Buttermilk Blue and Blue Affinee from RothKase in Wisconsin.

Most of these are easily available either on line or in local markets such as Whole Foods, and specialty cheese shops.

And here is a really tasty appetizer spread made with gorgonzola. Actually, you can use any blue cheese you like. The cream cheese mellows it out.
GORGONZOLA WALNUT SPREAD

makes 5 cups
1 cup coarsely chopped and toasted walnuts
8 ounces gorgonzola cheese, softened
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
a few grinds of fresh pepper
a few drops of Tabasco

Toast nuts. Thoroughly mix cream cheese and gorgonzola. Then ad ½ cup of the chopped nuts. Turn into a decorative dish or small springform pan. Press remainder of the nuts into the top and chill until 30 minutes before serving time. Serve with plain crackers and slices of pears or clumps of grapes.
Recipe may be prepared up to 2 days before serving, but if planning to do this, do not put nuts on top until just before serving so they will remain crisp.
This spread will have a much smoother consistency if you make it in a food processor. (your taste)

BeccaBugs said:
I'm 27! :)
I know your tastes change as you age, I've noticed things I LOVED eating when I was in my late teens/early 20's just aren't doing it for me anymore.
As for wine, that's another thing I can't wrap my head around. People LOVE the stuff and every time I try it I'm just like.. bleh! Maybe in 10 years I'll love the stuff. :)
I don't know if I could get Maytag Blue in the UK, but I can get Danish Blue. Have you tried that?

Thank you both! :)

I've had Danish blue. I really like it. It's my go to blue cheese for crumbling onto salads.

If we were talking about smoking, everybody would be telling you to just stop. So just stop buying Stilton. There is absolutely no reason on earth for you to force yourself to like something. If the idea of stilton is Christhmassy, put photos of the cheese on the walls.

If we were talking about smoking, everybody would be telling you to just stop. So just stop buying Stilton. There is absolutely no reason on earth for you to force yourself to like something. If the idea of stilton is Christhmassy, put photos of the cheese on the walls.

:LOL::LOL::LOL: LOL:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I agree, if you don't like it, just don't buy it. It's not like you're trying to learn to like whole grains or vegetables. Healthwise, you won't be missing out on anything from not eating Stilton that you can't get from tons of other foods. Why eat something you don't like just because other people like it? If you don't but it, you can spend that money (and those calories) on another block of that smoked cheddar. :)

I just about choked, I laughed so hard at the thought of putting pictures of cheese up as Christmas decorations!

I am a pretty heavy smoker actually. Lol!

I'm gunna try the spread idea though, cuz like I said, I do like blue cheese salad dressing quite a bit. It's hard to find a decent blue cheese salad dressing in the UK though. The ones I have found are chock full of vinegar.
LOL! I know there are healthier things I could try to force upon myself. Lol I actually force eggplant on myself. Again, everytime I think I'm gunna like it. I just don't think I've found the right way of cooking it yet. :)

ChefJune! Roquefort is not that expensive over here actually. Nigella does this weird dip with it called Rock-a-mole. It's like guacamole with blue cheese and other really unhealthy things in it. LOL!

I am enough of an oddball that I'd frame a picture of stilton and hang it on the wall. <3 :)

Thanks for all the feedback guys. You're the best. :) <3

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom