"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-31-2014, 10:58 AM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Would I have to have the uniform and hat too?

The rules regarding gun ownership are very strict in the UK (we don't have many Red Indians round this neck of the woods). I doubt I'd get a licence for one of the guns you recommend

I was quite good at potting rabbits when I used to go out with my cousin who lived in the country. He was lucky as it was part of his job as a gardener on a large country estate to keep the rabbits off the lettuces so could get a licence and shotgun. Nothing quite like a wild rabbit casserole.
If you have the cash, a Purdey & Sons, would do the trick, if you choose to go that route,

Old 01-31-2014, 11:03 AM   #32
Executive Chef

My daughter lives in a mobile home in a wooded area. They had a cat since they moved in and he kept the rodents at bay, but he recently passed away. One night she "felt" a mouse run across their bed. Needless to say, she has adopted two kittens and she's hoping they grow up to be mousers.

I am allergic to cats. So far we have never seen any sign of mice, but if we do, we will set traps. DH sets traps for ground moles outside in the summer.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:26 PM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
...I have entered into negotiations with the RSPCA for one of their rescue cats - black and white lady called Tracy (may have to change her name) but last night I saw Gretel, a tortie girl, on their website so I may end up with 2 of them......
Congrats and good luck whether you end up with One Cat, Two Cat...or just your mouse traps. Although, as you know, cats are better companions. Just remember, no matter what name Tracy ends up with she'll probably still not come when you call her! Our first cat (Midnight) actually did come to her name. Cat 2.0 (LittleBit) wouldn't know her name if that's all we caller her - but she does come much quicker when we say "treats!".
Old 01-31-2014, 02:32 PM   #34
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Congrats and good luck whether you end up with One Cat, Two Cat...or just your mouse traps. Although, as you know, cats are better companions. Just remember, no matter what name Tracy ends up with she'll probably still not come when you call her! Our first cat (Midnight) actually did come to her name. Cat 2.0 (LittleBit) wouldn't know her name if that's all we caller her - but she does come much quicker when we say "treats!".
When we wanted our cat's to come we would just run the electric can opener.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:04 PM   #35
Head Chef

My lovely cat, Burt, is great - at bringing in live mice and leaving them for Ollie and me to catch and release!

(Not sure what type of mice they are, but they are a dark gold colour and really very pretty. The last place they want to be is in anyone's home - at least they always seem very keen to get back outside.)

However, if we can't catch them, we do resort to a very effective electronic rat catcher which has never failed. It gives them an electric shock so I guess it is as humane as you can hope for.)

Anyway, I think I would agree with the poster who recommended female cats - they are definitely more effective mousers. (On the other hand, male cats are more laid back.)

Maybe one of each is the best bet?
Old 01-31-2014, 04:22 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
If you have the cash, a Purdey & Sons, would do the trick, if you choose to go that route,
No prices on the Purdey web site. Obviously a case of "If you have to ask, you can't afford it!"
Old 01-31-2014, 08:16 PM   #37
Sous Chef

Quote:
No prices on the Purdey web site. Obviously a case of "If you have to ask, you can't afford it!"
They're smart. They sell for the price of a small motorcycle over here. And that's for their very cheap model.