"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,142
I Have A New Musical Hobby

DA loves guitars and guitar music! I did not know of this! She and I do love to sing songs to the radio, to CDs, and also to piano, but I did not know of the guitar.

I fussed with her for she did not tell me of this. I could have been learning to play the guitar all this time also for her! She will be 95 the next month. We do not have very much time for this!

I put her in the car and we drove to a music store. A nice salesman was very patient with us. DA wanted to hear the tones of the guitars and so he played and played so very many. It was finally decided. DA thinks electric guitars are exciting! I never thought of this! I know she likes the old American and British rock music, but not as this!

I now have a nice Ibanez Performance acoustic guitar. This is used but DA liked the sound of it. It surely does have a beautiful tone of it. I also have a Fender Stratocaster, also used. It is pink! I had to get a chord book and learning books for both of these. The Stratocaster is electric, with the solid body of it. I found a nice Crate Stereo Chorus amplifier for it. It is also used.

Now I must learn these! I have learned four chords and two rhythm strums on the Ibanez, but not so much for the Stratocaster.

I can play these by listening, I think, if I know of the chords. "Nights In White Satin" by the Moody Blues has only 6 chords of it: Em, D, C, G, A. and F. I think I may be able to play this in maybe three days if I work hard. These are basic chords of it.

I plugged the Straocaster to the amplifier and it squealed! The volume selector was up too high on the Stratocaster. It scared Azia and the cats ran away!

I have so very much to learn. I would rather that DA has said of this sooner!

Your friend,
~Cat

PS. My fingers are hurting!

__________________

__________________
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,098
That's wonderful, Cat! What a lovely gift for DA!

Hope your fingers don't stay sore. Ouch!
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,034
Don't be surprised if you develop some pads of thick skin at the tip of your fingers. It is very common for guitar players. First your fingers will be a bit sore. But they will toughen up.

Sounds to me like DA loves you very much. You are so fortunate to have her in your life. Would she like to adopt me? I think your parents can live with a peaceful mind knowing you are loved and well looked after with DA.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:38 PM   #4
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,142
Thank you, Dawgluver! They do hurt!

I think DA would like to adopt you, Addie. I would! Oh she does love me and I love her. I just did not know of this. On the journey home, I said to her, "Aunty, I love you very much, but for Heavens sake would you please tell me anything else you would like for me to do? Now would be a good time."

She said she had no more surprises. Then she said, "Oh, yes. You need to get your own kitchen things for your lair. And you should decorate it to your tastes. I can help you."

We named the basement my lair. I have a family room, a kitchen, a bedroom, and a bathroom there. There is the beautiful furniture I do not want to change, except maybe the coverings of some. I have been using DA's things.

Rrrrrrrrrr! One thing at a time! Life is too fast!

Your friend,
~Cat
__________________
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
Thank you, Dawgluver! They do hurt!

I think DA would like to adopt you, Addie. I would! Oh she does love me and I love her. I just did not know of this. On the journey home, I said to her, "Aunty, I love you very much, but for Heavens sake would you please tell me anything else you would like for me to do? Now would be a good time."

She said she had no more surprises. Then she said, "Oh, yes. You need to get your own kitchen things for your lair. And you should decorate it to your tastes. I can help you."

We named the basement my lair. I have a family room, a kitchen, a bedroom, and a bathroom there. There is the beautiful furniture I do not want to change, except maybe the coverings of some. I have been using DA's things.

Rrrrrrrrrr! One thing at a time! Life is too fast!

Your friend,
~Cat
Cat you are such a delightful addition to this forum. I love having you here. You never fail to brighten my day. Thank you for becoming such a happy part of my life. And today I really needed someone like you.

This past week we lost my favorite resident here. We have more than 50 residents in this building and this man was the kindest person you could ever want to know. He was a WWII veteran and fought at Iwo Jima. I always made sure our flag flying out on the front long was always in pristine condition in honor of him. He was on the go all the time right up until his death. I am going to miss him sitting out on the patio with me while I sew. I went to school with his sister. His father used to deliver ice and oil to my mother, and then his brother. So his family has been long a part of my life. He always had his door wide open and his TV as loud as he could get it. He was going blind and deaf. I would often run down to his apartment on my scooter (these halls are really long) just to say hello.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #6
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,005
I think it is nice that you and DA get to spend so much time together and that DA has some new things happening each day, it will keep her young at heart!

Good luck with the guitar, it sound like a much nicer hobby than playing fart ringtones on your Smartphone!
__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:44 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post

Good luck with the guitar, it sound like a much nicer hobby than playing fart ringtones on your Smartphone!
Guess that would depend on the guitar
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #8
Executive Chef
 
Hoot's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The edge of the Great Dismal Swamp
Posts: 3,308
I have been playing guitar and banjo since I was 11 years old. It has been an endless source of enjoyment. Practice is the key and you will do well.
__________________
I used to be a racist, but I don't have much interest in it since Dale Earnhardt got killed.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Cat you are such a delightful addition to this forum. I love having you here. You never fail to brighten my day. Thank you for becoming such a happy part of my life. And today I really needed someone like you.

This past week we lost my favorite resident here. We have more than 50 residents in this building and this man was the kindest person you could ever want to know. He was a WWII veteran and fought at Iwo Jima. I always made sure our flag flying out on the front long was always in pristine condition in honor of him. He was on the go all the time right up until his death. I am going to miss him sitting out on the patio with me while I sew. I went to school with his sister. His father used to deliver ice and oil to my mother, and then his brother. So his family has been long a part of my life. He always had his door wide open and his TV as loud as he could get it. He was going blind and deaf. I would often run down to his apartment on my scooter (these halls are really long) just to say hello.
Oh I am so very sorry, Addie. This is a very large part of your life. I thank you for taking care of our flag for him. I am very certain that he was very grateful to have you in his life as I am to see you on this website.

I am sorry of his passing. I shall pray for you and his family. I am so sorry, my friend. I wish I were there for you.

Is it possible to take to his family a message of me? If it is not, I shall understand. If it is so, please would you tell his family I am grateful of his sacrifices for my new country? Tell them I am an immigrant, and so very grateful to him and to all those who did serve my new country to make it become this land of our dreams. And, if this is so, please tell them I am sorry for his passing and I shall be praying in this difficult time for the family and you. Please tell them my name if you desire.

It is uneasy to speak of these losses, and I am sorry. God bless you, Addie, and God bless his family.

Your friend,
~Cat
__________________
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,034
Yes Cat. I will be attending his wake and will pass on your message to them. His family is very proud of his service to his country and they will be happy to know that our newest citizen is thanking him also. And I thank you also.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.