I have shingles :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{jkath}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

I do hope you get better quickly!! Thinking of you and will probably giggle all day long from the image of you on bt's roof in the pouring rain - looking beautiful, even then!

If you get it at young age, can you get them again? This is something entirely new to me and have only heard mostly when you get older and your immune system is weak. No one really has clue how these things get transferred for sure. since our mother got it I am going to get vaccine considering it won't interfere with all the other t hings going on with me. So many of the problems I have are dealing with the immune system. Main reason I am here so often is preparing meals that are being fixed with fresh ingredients. When the first doctor told me had life threatening disease, he advised not to dwell on it, eat right, avoid stress, and exercise. This doctor is still around and I trust him but he is getting up there too and then what? Like everything else, pray that you get good replacement.

This is sure shock to me about young person getting them. Like I always tell you, t here are times I think I am living in another world. Just trying to keep up with what I have going on around here. Thoughts and prayers for your speedy recovery.

robo, I can't imagine being in hot water. My sister's been a nurse for an elderly care facility and she called yesterday to make sure I was only taking tepid showers (instead of my routine hot bath each night). She said the heat makes it worse. hmmm

ITK - yes, you can get it more than once. My Grandma's doctor had it multiple times by the time he treated her for it, thus the gloves, mask, etc.

awww, jkath. i figure your such a great host, those dagnabbin shingles decided to drop by & say hi. host. get well soon!!

jkath, I've also had them so I can identify. I resorted to natural medicine when the prescription didn't seem to help. Don't know if it was the right choice. There just isn't any cure.

My daughter had them when she was about 20, so although aging might make them more likely, we can get them at any age.

My mom had them and she said it was just awful. She had 2 bands around her torso, but apparently you can get it anywhere. Where is yours jkath?

As a side suggestion, if yours becomes horribly painful, perhaps you could explore acupuncture or self-hypnosis. I haven't ever had acupuncture, but I used self-hypnosis for the births of all of my children and it worked perfectly for me. Maybe I'm just very susceptible to hypnosis but I know it can work. I was taught self-hypnosis techniques as a teenager. HTH

Good info, FM.
Mine's on my lower back.
Weird thing, I learned that the name is originally derived from the latin word meaning belt or sash, since that's where it usually starts.

when my late mother was told she had aids, the bad stuff began. shingles was one of them. she suffered very much. a blood transfusion for surgery gave her aids over ten years before she had symptoms. said she could deal with it but shingles were just over whelmed her weak immune system.speedy recovery, take all the medical help you can get.babe

Owww, that's a tough place, jkath. My mom said anything touching the area was terribly painful. She lived in very loose fitting sleep shirts and babydoll-type dresses while she had it. Hers took about 3 months to clear up completely but it began to get better after 5 or 6 weeks. I'm so sorry to hear you will be having to deal with this. But I guess it means you'll be here a lot, right?:)

It's a puzzling disorder, isn't it? Scientists hoped that the chickenpox vaccine would eliminate this disorder, but apparently even people who have been vaccinated against chickenpox as children can still get shingles. They haven't gotten old enough for researchers to tell if they get it less frequently than the people who have gotten the "wild" strain.

There seems to be some protection from getting shingles if a person who has already had chickenpox is around children with active chickenpox periodically. It seems to act as a kind of booster to acquired immunity to the herpes zoster virus. However, there are fewer children who get chickenpox now (so little chance for exposure to them) and the incidence of shingles is rising.

Anyway, one thing's for sure - it's a crappy thing to get!!!

I'm sorry to hear you have shingles JKath ... I know when my mom had them not much helped (except complaining about the pain and discomfort). Feel free to vent here if you need to! Feel better soon!

I had them in my 40s. Will never forget sitting in the sun at my nephew's outdoor college graduation, in the HEAT, and absolutely miserable. It took a long time for me to get them diagnosed, cuz I didn't think it was something to show the dr. The usual path for shingles is along a nerve branch on the torso, but mine were on my thigh. Couldn't wear pants, had to wear dresses, and no pantyhose... oh the pain!

My dad had 'em too. I wonder if it runs in families?

Here's hoping they leave you quickly.

Buckytom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"robo, I can't imagine being in hot water."

obviously you will know what works for you personally. I found the water jets of the shower helped, (and the hotter the better) and I found sleeping on the area was better than not.

Whatever works, I hope you find relief from the annoyance and discomfort.

I'm sorry to hear (read) about your situation J... I hope all goes well and that you're a fast healer.

M

There seems to be some protection from getting shingles if a person who has already had chickenpox is around children with active chickenpox periodically. It seems to act as a kind of booster to acquired immunity to the herpes zoster virus.
I had no idea! That is so very interesting!

The good news is, it's only temporary :)

So sorry jkath....
I never know what to say to someone hurting when I don't know a thing about the hurt....
but I hope you will be alright?
Dang I'm no good at I hope you feel better....
But I hope you do!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom