I have shingles :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DH had shingles when he was 22. It went up the right side of his throat, and side of his face, near his ear. He was in pain for a while. He still has dead nerves on that side.
I hope you get well real soon, J!!!

I'm sorry you are going through this, jkath.

I've heard that they can be nasty, so I hope you can find ways to be more comfortable with traditional and/or non -traditional medicines as you are healing.

Wish I could make you something to eat (or drink) to take your mind off it!

What do you have a hankering for?

Lee

OW!!! Are you on an antiviral? I hope so, and lots of pain drugs.

Ken had it when the girls were little and he curled up into a little fetal ball because it hurt so bad til we got him the good drugs.

He also gave the girls chickenpox...sigh. THAT was fun. A 3 year old and an 18 month old with pox all over their poor little bodies and a husband rolling in pain. Nasty.

Jkath, chicken soup too. For the comfort factor alone. And you can't go near anyone immune compromised for some time (I'm sure you know that though)

I hate hearing that you are going through this jkath. My aunt and a friend both got shingles. I didn't realize someone with shingles could give someone chickenpox, but I did know that if you are prone to shingles you can get it by being around someone with chickenpox.

Once my friend and I were at a school function (our kids went to school together, and I babysat her kids)--I think it was the talent show. Suddenly the woman in front of us starts talking, loud enough for us to hear, to the woman next to her, saying that even though her kid (in her lap and running around) had chickenpox, she brought him with her anyway. I was so mad! Now I would have said something, but then I was a little more shy. My friend didn't say anything either. We just prayed she wouldn't get a bout of shingles, and fortunately she didn't.

Take good care of yourself!

:)Barbara

i have seen my mom go thru this and do not pretend to know what it is like. i just wanted to wish you well and hope you have a speedy recovery.

Hugs to you Jkath - I hope you are feeling better soon!!! I've never had chicken pox, thing I am immuned to it - had the vaccine anyways - if I were there I would give you a big hug!

OH ((JKath))) I know how they hurt!!! I had a bout with shingles several years ago and it is VERY painful!!! Hopefully it will pass soon for you!! Love and energy, Vicki

Ugh Jkath my friend got those awhile back.... he was hurting I was so surprised I did not think people got those anymore. Hope you are feeling better soon

:) So sorry to hear this Jkath. Now I know what shingles are I had no idea they were so painful. My question is why so many people get chicken pox when they were kids. Is it because they were not vaccinated when they were young? All I know that going back and forth overseas as a kid in the 50s and early 60s I would get every vaccination known to man. Which is why I developed a phobia to needles as you can see in the phobia threads.

The chickenpox vaccine hasn't been around all that long. I believe my pediatrician first started using it when I'd already had my second child, who was born in '95.
But, there are a lot of people who won't have their kids vaccinated, such as those who won't give their kids the MMR vac, as it has been linked to autism.

Off topic note, I just heard on the news tonight they have definitively proven no link to autism with any childhood vaccine. Finally!

Looks like you are keeping busy jkath, are you feeling ok?

Shingles

The only way that you will not get the Shingles is if you have never had chicken pox. The chicken pox virus lays dormant until something sets it off (ergo) Shengles. However there is a vaccine for Shingles. Expensive really but well worth the money considering the fact that Shingles can be sooooo painful for such a long time.

Ouch! I'm sorry!! Glad to hear the meds are working!

I got the chicken pox at 23...worst experience of my Life!!

The only way that you will not get the Shingles is if you have never had chicken pox.

Technically true, BUT you can get them concurrently. My husband never had chickenpox as a child but got shingles. Clearly he got chickenpox at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom