"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-15-2013, 11:24 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I like this for kids:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-474623826.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	17695

Old 04-16-2013, 12:49 AM   #22
Executive Chef

This is good for all of us to remember Dawg. There are many more good people in the world than evil ones and it does help to think about all the "good" people helping.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:13 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

There were two soldiers who had just crossed the finish line when the first explosion went off. They both ran over to help the injured. Then once the EMS folks got to them, they ran all the way to Mass General Hospital to donate blood.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:25 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
Does Andy M. Live in Boston or somewhere else in Massachusetts? Is everybody accounted for on DC?
The explosions happened in the ritzy part of Boston. So you can be assured that no members of DC live in that area. Mostly high end businesses and tall condo buildings that are priced closed to $1M. It is also the insurance center in the city. Lots of hair salons for the rich and famous along with very expensive botiques. Small little cafe type restaurants where they have tables outside and their menues are in French. The Kennedys frequent the stores in that area when they are in town. Lots of art galleries. Old victorian buildings that have been branded as an historic building. There are also several five star hotels in that area. Including one of the Ritz hotels. Rooms start at $500 a night.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:31 AM   #25
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
This is good for all of us to remember Dawg. There are many more good people in the world than evil ones and it does help to think about all the "good" people helping.
So, so true. It only takes one or two people to do this sort of evil. But just watch how many people ran towards the smoke and screams of terror rather then away. Not just people whose "job" it was to assist. But all those others who where just at the wrong place at the right time and helped those who needed it. God willing, I hope I would do the same.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:38 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyap View Post
So, so true. It only takes one or two people to do this sort of evil. But just watch how many people ran towards the smoke and screams of terror rather then away. Not just people whose "job" it was to assist. But all those others who where just at the wrong place at the right time and helped those who needed it. God willing, I hope I would do the same.
A lot of the folks who were standing across the street from the explosions ran across to help the wounded and injured. They were trying to apply pressure to those with the worst wounds and injuries.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:15 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Besides the victims, families, EMS workers (firefighters, paramedics, police, and other agency workers), spectators who witnessed this, and the citizens of Boston, I am thinking of the ED docs, nurses, and other healthcare professionals at the hospitals in Boston. One of the ED docs is part of the organization with which I have been working since 2011. When I see her next week, I'm going to give her a big hug.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:49 AM   #28
Master Chef

Sad news.....

The little boy that died was a neighbor of mine. His dad had run and just finishef and the boy was rushing to greet him when it went off. His mother lost an eye and has a bad brain injury. His little sister lost her leg. Dad hit by shrapnel.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:55 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Very sad when it touches someone you know personally.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:11 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Sad news.....

The little boy that died was a neighbor of mine. His dad had run and just finishef and the boy was rushing to greet him when it went off. His mother lost an eye and has a bad brain injury. His little sister lost her leg. Dad hit by shrapnel.
Jenny, it really hits home when you personally know some of the victims. This poor family. One of the reporters said that as they were helping the worst victims, they were picking up the lost limbs along with the victims. Good Good, how gruesome. I need to call my son and find out if he worked yesterday at BMC. My heart goes out to you and your neighbors Jenny.