"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

I just can't wrap my head around this

There were two explosions at the finish line of the Boston Marathon. Windows were blown out and a lot of people were hurt.

The worst thing that has ever happened is when women first tried to enter the race years ago. I am sure this will be on your news tonight. There are THOUSANDS of runners in this race every year. A lot of folks got hurt by flyiing glass.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
Executive Chef

how horrible that violence in this country continues in public places, unabated. addie, thank heavens that you are safe at home. i thought of you immediately upon hearing the disturbing news of explosions at the boston marathon site.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
Master Chef

wow, after reading your post I went and checked what media has to say. Of course they do not really know anything yet.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
Master Chef

25 wounded; 2 dead.

The explosions were a block away from my office ....

Also a suspicious fire at the JFK Library
Old 04-15-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Unbelievable. I'm glad you're okay, jenny. This is just crazy.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:16 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
how horrible that violence in this country continues in public places, unabated. addie, thank heavens that you are safe at home. i thought of you immediately upon hearing the disturbing news of explosions at the boston marathon site.
I used to go to this event every year and stand there at the finish line. It has been comfirmed that it was two bombs and just minutes after the explosions there was a major fire at the JFK Library in another part of the city. They don't know if the two are connected.

The runners that didn't get to the finish line have been diverted to another street so that they can finish the race. This whole episode is so sad. My two great grandchildren are at the race with their mother. I don't think they were at the finish line. Won't know until tonight. My grandson, their father has been called in for active duty and is on high alert. So he can't go to Boston to make sure they are all right. He is a firefighter. And my granddaughter's husband, a policeman is also on high alert.

Where the explosions occured in front of that building is a Walgreen's. It has a large plate glass window. There are some serious injuries from that glass. Two people are dead.

I am just so shaken up. This is a fun event. You stand on the side and pass out water to the runners and cheer them on. You make friends with the person standing beside you. And when their runner crosses the finish you cheer just as loudly as you new friend. The race officially ends six p.m. Some folks stay right to the very end to cheer even the last runner.

And this is Patriots Day in Massachusetts. The day the war started for our freedom. From "The Shot Heard Round The World" to bombing. Some freedom.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I had to run into the village and heard that on the radio. I can't believe it.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:14 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
wow, after reading your post I went and checked what media has to say. Of course they do not really know anything yet.
The Govenor and the Police Commissioner just spoke on TV. More than 40 injured, two dead, two amputations. All Federal agencies are here. FBI, ATF, Secret Service, FAA. Two more explosive devices have been found and are presently being unarmed and dismantled. Four hospitals were utilized. Mass General, Boston Medical, Brigham's and Women's and Tufts Medical Center.

There has been no official name attached to this event. But those that were right there have been calling it a terrorist attack. And right now there is a SWAT team at the Tufts Medical Center.

The Mayor of Danbury Connecticut said that the last mile of the race was dedicated to the families of Newtown. The family members were sitting in the grandstand reserved for officials and special guests. Will violence always follow these people?
Old 04-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #9
Executive Chef

This world is so full of anger and hate and senseless acts anymore. It's so danged sad.

Sympathy to all the injured, the fatalities, the families and anyone nearby as well as those of us hit hard by it just by hearing of it.

Seems nothing is safe anymore
Old 04-15-2013, 05:41 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I just can't wrap my head around this either....