"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-07-2008, 05:08 PM   #1
Head Chef

I just lost my job!

I showed up for work on friday and i have been asking for some time off the last couple of weeks to go to a certifacation class to get my Ethical hacking cert. well after the third or fourth time asking him for time off he told me to come into his office to talk and he said i have to lay you off!!

So now i owe 1600$ for school and all my other bills. holly crap LOLOLOL i got laid off.

The crappy thing is i have to get my data off my Hardrives at work monday and i have 80GB of files and text files for school and future work. Win xp at home wont allow me to view the drive because disk managment says its a dynamic disk and its foriegn. if i try to switch it to basic it says it will delete all data.

So i am man down.

at least i have time off now. I was going to quite in january or febuary but no one knew it..

Old 12-07-2008, 05:12 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Good luck with what ever you decide to do next!!

Old 12-07-2008, 05:17 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
You've got time off - use it wisely, grasshoppa'

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:21 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Sometimes things like that can be a blessing in disguise.....
I hope it is for you...
Hey! YOu don't have to work Christmas Eve!
There ya go!
:)
Old 12-07-2008, 05:24 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
Sometimes things like that can be a blessing in disguise.....
I hope it is for you...
Hey! YOu don't have to work Christmas Eve!
There ya go!
:)
i am kind of glad cuz now i can go to school full time. I started to hate that job because they started a petition to get rid of me. luckily it was only 3 people out of 60 who wanted to get rid of me. the other 57 love me.

Any way. as soon as i am done with this class december 19th. i should be able to hack there network and get what i need!!

EDIT
IM TOTALLY Joking about the hacking part. Im not that dumb... yet
Old 12-07-2008, 05:26 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
LT - I don't believe I would have said that...our edit feature is your friend!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:41 PM   #7
Head Chef

Any data on an employer's drives is the property of the employer, regardless of what it is or how it got there. Too many people put personal data on their employer's computers, and then wonder why they are denied retrieval access following termination of their employment. The employer needs to protect their systems from disgruntled employees who have quit or otherwise been released. Don't be surprised if you can't gain access come Monday morning. Also, what you propose to do after the 19th is NOT ethical. Tread lightly, as what you propose is also ILLEGAL.

Good luck with your future endeavors.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:48 PM   #8
Master Chef

I'm sorry it happened the way it did, but, you have your time off now. Use it to find a better job.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:02 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
Any data on an employer's drives is the property of the employer, regardless of what it is or how it got there. Too many people put personal data on their employer's computers, and then wonder why they are denied retrieval access following termination of their employment. The employer needs to protect their systems from disgruntled employees who have quit or otherwise been released. Don't be surprised if you can't gain access come Monday morning. Also, what you propose to do after the 19th is NOT ethical. Tread lightly, as what you propose is also ILLEGAL.

Good luck with your future endeavors.
LOL i know. i have signed papers about that very purpose. I owned the drives in the PC. I spent my own money for them. I was the senior tech engineer there for the IT department. Well besides my supervisor being over me. I just finished building there new infrastructure as well. My firewall kicks butt that i built them. Smoothwall for the win!!

My boss said that i will be able to pull data off of the drives. we were pretty casual with that rule at our work place. It was all of my R and D project notes for them that i need for future reference. Waterproof Access Points, firewalls, NAS systems and antennas. All that good stuff is on these drives. Oh and if any one wants the information and project tutorials let me know. I will have a sftp server up that has all my books and projects on it.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:03 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
LT - I don't believe I would have said that...our edit feature is your friend!
what do you mean?