"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-13-2005, 10:14 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
oooh copperheads nasty nasty snakes. a relative of mine in west virginia cleaning up her yard and picked up an old coffee can that had a copperhead coiled up inside. a fang punctured the skin on one of her fingers and she almost died not once but TWICE ! i think if both fangs got her she would not be around today. my mother almost got bit by one too when she was a little girl... maybe 5 or 6, but her grandfather killed it before it bit my mom's leg.
though i have to admit it's kind of amusing to drive through a state and see the roadkill is chickens and copperheads !

Old 11-14-2005, 12:08 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

i always tell people that i'm hiking with that in snake country, always make heavy footsteps in grasses or dense brush (they will sense you coming and take off), and always step onto a log then away from it, not directly over as you may startle a snake that will cause it to strike at your heel.
they're nasty but necessary little monsters...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:42 AM   #13
Executive Chef

I have to agree with Robin. Snakes do benefit the environment. Granted, I live in a small city, so I'm not really expecting to see any snakes, except maybe a garter snake.

As long as I know a snake is non-venomous, I'll leave it alone. However, if I ever catch a venomous snake in my yard, it's dead, as I have small children. Out in the woods, I tend to leave all snakes alone.

Back when I was in New Mexico working for the Boy Scouts, my parents had adopted a stray puppy, a Border Collie - Chow mix. One day, it was in one corner of the yard, barking like crazy, and wouldn't move. My sister's boyfriend went out to check it out, and immediately came back in asking for a shovel. He said there was a nest of baby copperheads on the north side of the house. He disposed of them all with the shovel.

A few years ago, my MIL was mowing her yard (the next street over) and hit a snake with the mower. She is deathly afraid of snakes. Once she realized what she had hit, she became petrified. A few minutes later, she was able to push the mower over to the window to call PeppA out, but she could not release the mower under her own power.

Something else to remember, is that there are probably more venomous snakes than most people realize. Many snakes are what are known as "rear-fanged", meaning that their fanges are in the rear of their mouth, and they have to gnaw on you to invenomate you. If I remember right, there is a variety of garter snake like this!
Old 11-14-2005, 10:26 AM   #14
Master Chef

We live in the country and have LOTS of snakes, but they are mostly rat snakes and chicken snakes. Since we also have lots of field mice (bigger and hungrier than house mice), they are welcome here. I used to find them in my greenhouse, and in the back of the shop among the bags of potting mix, both places where the mice liked to burrow and nest. Snakes still like to hang out under my deck, or lay across the hot tub cover.
We do have rattlesnakes and copperheads down in the Shawnee Forest, but the only poisonous snake we have in this immediate area is the Water Moccasin, also called the "Cottonmouth". He likes ponds and swampy places in the river bottoms.
I've done lots of treking in the woods, and found that if you make plenty of noise tramping through the underbrush, the snakes will get out of your way. I have had a few close calls with Copperheads though...they don't seem as shy as other snakes.
I guess my worse encounter with a snake was when one crawled in one my wren houses, ate all the baby birds, and was too engorged to get out the little entrance for several days, until he digested his meal. That made me mad...I love my birds, wrens in particular.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:52 PM   #15
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I have a snake story that might bring a tear to your eye---but I have to go take my class to the computer lab! I'll tell my story when I am off of work.

Barbara
Old 11-14-2005, 04:51 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl
Anyone else have a snake story?
Sort of. I was kind of half asleep in a dream state....when I spotted what I thought was a snake.
I jump out of bed all panicked....and breathlessly ask Alix, "Did you see that fuzzy snake?!"
It was the cat's tail sticking out from under the bed. Oops.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:55 PM   #17
Everymom

I notice you don't mention my helpless laughter for some time after. Poor kitty thought you were going to jump out of bed and smack her with a shoe or something.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:02 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Sort of. I was kind of half asleep in a dream state....when I spotted what I thought was a snake.
I jump out of bed all panicked....and breathlessly ask Alix, "Did you see that fuzzy snake?!"
It was the cat's tail sticking out from under the bed. Oops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
I notice you don't mention my helpless laughter for some time after. Poor kitty thought you were going to jump out of bed and smack her with a shoe or something.
OMG...
That is hilarious. Alix I can just imagine it, big macho man, jumping up and attacking the poor cat. I think the cat may have gotten the better end of that one if he had. LOL
Old 11-14-2005, 05:17 PM   #19
Everymom

No kidding! She looks like a big old lump 'o fur, but do not be mistaken, she is actually a Cuisinart with fur!
Old 11-14-2005, 06:42 PM   #20
Executive Chef

I have a horror story about this blue and black snake that tried to eat my puppy.

And then it tried to eat the fishes on my puter.