I like knowing first names

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Andy M. said:
My name is obvious. But you can call me anything you like as long as ou don't call me late for dinner.
So Stephanie, what time would you like dinner :-p

I like using Goodweed of the North, or GW, or Weed, or Goodweed. It tells a bit about me better than does my real name, which I'm not afraid to give out either (Bob for any who want to know). I live in and love the North; I never grew like a "bad weed" as my father used to tell me I would; and people often mistake Goodweed as a kind of illicit substance, which couldn't be further from the truth in my case. So it's a private joke against any who would jump to conclusions. Also, I don't believe there are any bad weeds, just many that we don't know the proper usefullness of.

So there you have it. I'm quirky, odd, fun-loving, and like to walk a bit off the beaten path, but always try to walk the up-lifting path and sow smiles and gather wisdom as I travel.

Call me Bob if you need to, but know that I'm Goodweed of the North.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Well..... I'm Satin. Sattie just happened to be a name folks started using at work. I think many folks are afraid of the name Satin and I am usually referred to as Satan, Stain, Satine etc..... Not sure where my folks got the idea for it. But it sure gave me issues as I was growing up. Not so bad now, just when the occasional telemarkerter calls and asks for satan, I tell them to hold on and I will go get him for ya!!!! :ROFLMAO:

Dead thread time!

YT`s fine, even in Real life it gets used.

real name is John however, I seldom get called that unless I`m trouble (again).

TATTRAT said:
^^^ I think we should from here on out refer to him as Sir Mr. Big Dog Esquire.:LOL:

Whatever suits your fancy! :-p

TATTRAT said:
I guess they do grow em big in Minnesota!

Interestingly enough, I'm from Massachusetts! Transplanted to Minnesota in 1994 (for the most part).

sattie said:
Well..... I'm Satin. Not sure where my folks got the idea for it. But it sure gave me issues as I was growing up.

Yeah, sattie, sometimes I wonder what parents were thinking when they named their children. When my ex and I were trying to come up with a name for our first son, Shawn, part of our consideration was how his initials would play out. At that time my last name started with a "B." Obviously we couldn't use Orville as his middle name. Who wants their child to be known as a S.O.B.? Ruled that out right away.

I wanted to use the traditional Sean but, because we realized how children can be, we opted for the more modern "Shawn." I'm of Irish heritage, so his grandfather (my Daddy), John, was satisfied as was his grandfather, John, on his father's side, who was Scotch/English. We were able to name him John without spelling it "John."

Last name was problematic, too, which meant we had to be careful what first name we paired with it as well. Won't go there. Just trust me.

I think by now everyone knows who I am...and that is my beautiful little (fat) Chihuahua Dove in the picture

Katie E said:
Yeah, sattie, sometimes I wonder what parents were thinking when they named their children. When my ex and I were trying to come up with a name for our first son, Shawn, part of our consideration was how his initials would play out. At that time my last name started with a "B." Obviously we couldn't use Orville as his middle name. Who wants their child to be known as a S.O.B.? Ruled that out right away.

I wanted to use the traditional Sean but, because we realized how children can be, we opted for the more modern "Shawn." I'm of Irish heritage, so his grandfather (my Daddy), John, was satisfied as was his grandfather, John, on his father's side, who was Scotch/English. We were able to name him John without spelling it "John."

Last name was problematic, too, which meant we had to be careful what first name we paired with it as well. Won't go there. Just trust me.

Katie... I can only imagine!!! :LOL: My middle name gets worse!!! It is Rodanz... named for a funeral home in NY. All except my mom misunderstood my Grandma and got the first 2 letters mixed up. (I have never verified said funeral home) The funeral home is supposedly called Ordanz. Mom got Rodanz and called me Roda or Roda-rooter for short!!! :ROFLMAO:

You should try having some of the traditional names in my family - the mis-spellings are legion! Names include:

Ruaridh (pronounced Rooh ree) or Rory in English!
Iain (scots form of John)
Torquil
Eoghan (Ewan)
Seona (shona)
Mairead - Scots form of Margaret
Seoras - George
Daibhidh
Lusaidh
Alisdair
Maeve
Catriona (pronounced Cuh tree uh nah) not Kat tree o na with the emphasis on the 'o')
Fiona (pronounced Fyo nah) not Fee Oh Na as the English do!
and mine: pronounced Isssh bl (long first syllable, short second)
Mhairi - Mary (pronounced Vah ree)
Raibeart
Elspeth

Last edited:
i am tommy to most of my friends and family.

buck, bucky, tom, or buckytom at work. i am the only buckytom that i know online.
it continues with buckaroo, buckmeister, etc..
no shortage of nicknames.

Ishbel,

My Gaelic's shot to he11. Even when I lived in Scotland I swore it was a secret coded language used only to confuse all others. However, reading the names sure brought back memories of my neighbo(u)rs.

How's this for a name: Huibee. It was supposed to be Phoebe, but the mother was from mainland China and the nurse couldn't understand her.

Ciao, Hamish McHaggis. LOL

Yes, some of the spellings are enough to confuse anyone, and it's not just foreigners who have trouble, many Scots do, too - and it is becoming more common to hear Britneys and Kylies than Maeves and Catrionas!

Edited to add: that baby must have been given stick when she got to school, particularly as the name is very near 'Hibee' - the local name for fans of Hibernian Football Club!

Katie E said:

Katie, I've got a name for you that'll make you really wonder what the parents were thinking. A lady that I used to work with named her daughter Chrysler Blue! Can you imagine that?!?!:ohmy: I mean really, think about what that child has to go through, I feel sorry for her!

Anyway, my name is Kristin, my family calles me Kris (mom & dad fought over this when I was a baby, mom wanted everyone to call me Kristin & dad wanted to shorten it to Kris, dad won that argument even though mom calls me Kristin most of the time). I've been called Christine, Christina, & Kristy. It kind of drives me batty because my name's not that hard. On here though I prefer to be called crewsk becuse then I know exactly when I'm being "spoken" to.

buckytom said:
i am tommy to most of my friends and family.

buck, bucky, tom, or buckytom at work. i am the only buckytom that i know online.
it continues with buckaroo, buckmeister, etc..
no shortage of nicknames.

buckminsterfullerene might make a nice addition :ermm: :ROFLMAO:

YT2095 said:
buckminsterfullerene might make a nice addition :ermm: :ROFLMAO:

And he'd make wonderful inventions using carbon buckyballs (those microscopic, soccer-ball shaped thingys used to make very strong things by experimental physicists).:LOL:

Only a techie would know such obscure things.:rolleyes:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom