"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-26-2006, 05:41 PM   #31
Head Chef

Hi I am Jill and I am happy to meet you.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 06:52 PM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E
Yeah, sattie, sometimes I wonder what parents were thinking when they named their children. When my ex and I were trying to come up with a name for our first son, Shawn, part of our consideration was how his initials would play out. At that time my last name started with a "B." Obviously we couldn't use Orville as his middle name. Who wants their child to be known as a S.O.B.? Ruled that out right away.

I wanted to use the traditional Sean but, because we realized how children can be, we opted for the more modern "Shawn." I'm of Irish heritage, so his grandfather (my Daddy), John, was satisfied as was his grandfather, John, on his father's side, who was Scotch/English. We were able to name him John without spelling it "John."

Last name was problematic, too, which meant we had to be careful what first name we paired with it as well. Won't go there. Just trust me.
Katie... I can only imagine!!! My middle name gets worse!!! It is Rodanz... named for a funeral home in NY. All except my mom misunderstood my Grandma and got the first 2 letters mixed up. (I have never verified said funeral home) The funeral home is supposedly called Ordanz. Mom got Rodanz and called me Roda or Roda-rooter for short!!!

Old 11-27-2006, 05:02 AM   #33
Executive Chef

You should try having some of the traditional names in my family - the mis-spellings are legion! Names include:

Ruaridh (pronounced Rooh ree) or Rory in English!
Iain (scots form of John)
Torquil
Eoghan (Ewan)
Seona (shona)
Mairead - Scots form of Margaret
Seoras - George
Daibhidh
Lusaidh
Alisdair
Maeve
Catriona (pronounced Cuh tree uh nah) not Kat tree o na with the emphasis on the 'o')
Fiona (pronounced Fyo nah) not Fee Oh Na as the English do!
and mine: pronounced Isssh bl (long first syllable, short second)
Mhairi - Mary (pronounced Vah ree)
Raibeart
Elspeth
Old 11-27-2006, 05:18 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

i am tommy to most of my friends and family.

buck, bucky, tom, or buckytom at work. i am the only buckytom that i know online.
it continues with buckaroo, buckmeister, etc..
no shortage of nicknames.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:37 AM   #35
Senior Cook

Ishbel,

My Gaelic's shot to he11. Even when I lived in Scotland I swore it was a secret coded language used only to confuse all others. However, reading the names sure brought back memories of my neighbo(u)rs.

How's this for a name: Huibee. It was supposed to be Phoebe, but the mother was from mainland China and the nurse couldn't understand her.

Ciao, Hamish McHaggis. LOL
Old 11-27-2006, 05:42 AM   #36
Executive Chef

Yes, some of the spellings are enough to confuse anyone, and it's not just foreigners who have trouble, many Scots do, too - and it is becoming more common to hear Britneys and Kylies than Maeves and Catrionas!

Edited to add: that baby must have been given stick when she got to school, particularly as the name is very near 'Hibee' - the local name for fans of Hibernian Football Club!
Old 11-27-2006, 08:41 AM   #37
Executive Chef

"My Gaelic's shot to he11."

LOL My father gave up trying to teach me Gaelic!

My real name is Loprraine without the "P"
Old 11-27-2006, 09:02 AM   #38
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E
Yeah, sattie, sometimes I wonder what parents were thinking when they named their children. When my ex and I were trying to come up with a name for our first son, Shawn, part of our consideration was how his initials would play out. At that time my last name started with a "B." Obviously we couldn't use Orville as his middle name. Who wants their child to be known as a S.O.B.? Ruled that out right away.

I wanted to use the traditional Sean but, because we realized how children can be, we opted for the more modern "Shawn." I'm of Irish heritage, so his grandfather (my Daddy), John, was satisfied as was his grandfather, John, on his father's side, who was Scotch/English. We were able to name him John without spelling it "John."

Last name was problematic, too, which meant we had to be careful what first name we paired with it as well. Won't go there. Just trust me.

Katie, I've got a name for you that'll make you really wonder what the parents were thinking. A lady that I used to work with named her daughter Chrysler Blue! Can you imagine that?!?! I mean really, think about what that child has to go through, I feel sorry for her!

Anyway, my name is Kristin, my family calles me Kris (mom & dad fought over this when I was a baby, mom wanted everyone to call me Kristin & dad wanted to shorten it to Kris, dad won that argument even though mom calls me Kristin most of the time). I've been called Christine, Christina, & Kristy. It kind of drives me batty because my name's not that hard. On here though I prefer to be called crewsk becuse then I know exactly when I'm being "spoken" to.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:14 AM   #39
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
i am tommy to most of my friends and family.

buck, bucky, tom, or buckytom at work. i am the only buckytom that i know online.
it continues with buckaroo, buckmeister, etc..
no shortage of nicknames.
buckminsterfullerene might make a nice addition

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 09:28 AM   #40
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095
buckminsterfullerene might make a nice addition
And he'd make wonderful inventions using carbon buckyballs (those microscopic, soccer-ball shaped thingys used to make very strong things by experimental physicists).

Only a techie would know such obscure things.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote