I like knowing first names

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QSis

Washing Up
It's all well and good to have user names for forums, but I really like to address someone by his or her real first name when I am "talking" to them, and I like them to address me by mine.

In some other forums where I'm a member, the protocol is to post with your user name after the title, but to sign it by your real first name at the bottom of the post. I like that.

Feels odd and detached to address some of my budding online friends by their user names only.

I sure understand the wisdom of some internet anonymity and security, but come on, pdswife, ironchef, Deadly Sushi, Goodweed of the North, My Leg's Big (where has he been, BTW?), kleenex, etc. .... can't we call you by your real first names when we are replying to your posts?

Lee

Lee, it is a choice everyone makes here, and the etiquette is that unless the person signs their name or gives you permission to use their name you should use their User name.

I like to use people's names too, but absolutely understand why they aren't used here all the time.

Gee QSis, I understand your point, but I kinda like user names.

It is a chance for each person to demonstrate a persona of his/her choosing.

And perhaps the persona we choose reflects a part of us we can only express in an anonymous setting.

I don't need to know Goodweed's name, or Sushi's, or My Leg's Big (I have no idea where that came from either, but don't really care).

I just know the people here, in MHO, are great. And if we hide behind a bit of a facade, well, that is the wonder of the internet.

Again I understand your point, and anyone, I believe, is free to use their real names.

I may seem quixotic to cling to a user name, but I kinda like the anonymity.

Just auntdot's opinion.

Take care.

Superman never used his real name while in the suit and cape. :rolleyes:
I enjoy using individuals sceen name. But if anyone wants to know my name is Borat. :LOL: j/k..... its Paul

QSis said:
It's all well and good to have user names for forums, but I really like to address someone by his or her real first name when I am "talking" to them, and I like them to address me by mine.

In some other forums where I'm a member, the protocol is to post with your user name after the title, but to sign it by your real first name at the bottom of the post. I like that.

Feels odd and detached to address some of my budding online friends by their user names only.

I sure understand the wisdom of some internet anonymity and security, but come on, pdswife, ironchef, Deadly Sushi, Goodweed of the North, My Leg's Big (where has he been, BTW?), kleenex, etc. .... can't we call you by your real first names when we are replying to your posts?

Lee

I suppose if this is your preference, and if you correspond with a person long enough to know and trust them to your first name, then you should PM them and strike up a conversation.:)

You can call me Wasabi, Linda, Lynn, but please don't call me late for dinner.:LOL:

wasabi said:
You can call me Wasabi, Linda, Lynn, but please don't call me late for dinner.:LOL:

I agree, but don't call me Wasabi, Linda, or Lynn!

In my alter ego life (law enforcement for those that don't know), I am referred to by my surname. That's just how they do things in that world. Now that I think about it, I was called Larson in my youth as I had a friend who's name was Bill (mine as well). I guess Larson was easier then his last name. Shorter, that's for sure.

William is my proper name, but is usually only used in formal circumstances or when I am in trouble (mother or DW). Of the eligible nicknames for William, Bill is what stuck.

Am I concerned that you now know my proper, nick, and surnames? Nah. I live in Minnesota. William Larson and Bill Larson is a name readily available in the phone book; a dime for a baker's dozen. Besides, with my alter ego life, I'm fairly well armed and trained so if you show up on my doorstep, I'm not overly concerned. Maybe I'll have something on the stove or in the oven if you decide to stop by!

"BigDog" originated twofold: first it is a clothing brand that I really like. Second, I'm not quite as tall as a football lineman, but I am built very similarly, and in my youth was graced with the psudoname of Power House.

BigDog said...
Second, I'm not quite as tall as a football lineman, but I am built very similarly, and in my youth was graced with the psudoname of Power House.

In that case, we'll NEVER call you Wasabi, Linda or Lynn.:LOL:

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
But if anyone wants to know my name is Borat. :LOL: j/k..... its Paul

Hey, Sush (Paul), I knew I liked you. You have the same name as our only, and wonderful son-in-law. Couldn't love our Paul more. You're in good company.:)

P.S. Of course, everyone knows I'm Katie. My other names are Mom, Mommy, Grandma, Momma Kate, Hottie (as Buck says :brows:) Kate, Dr. O'Neill's daughter, and others I'm sure I'm leaving out.

Isn't "Borat" the sound one makes when they sit on a whoopee cushion?

While I agree that knowing a person's true given name would be nice ... I find it more usefull to know where they live when they ask questions.

Mine is fairly easy to figure out! :LOL: At most forums I go by Barbarian57 but here I decided to use my name. I didn't want everyone asking if I am a male or female! Barbarian is also part of my email address and you wouldn't believe how many offers I get for male enhancement products and offers from "ladies" who want to make me happy! Sheesh!

:) Barbara

Cindy is mine!!! But a few of you already know that. I first logged in as Cindy. It's not that I mind using Cindy, it just felt odd, as I've used Gossie most of my online computing life. :) To ME, I'm Gossie. :)

My name is obvious. But you can call me anything you like as long as ou don't call me late for dinner.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom