I like one, but not the other

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sattie

Washing Up
Me and my 13 year old niece were having this conversation the other day about stuff we like and don't like and I thought it was interesting. We would talk about tomatos, she hates them. I love them!! But she loves ketchup, and I can't stand it!

She will eat a ton of ketchup before ever laying hand on a tomato... I would eat all the tomatos in the world and never touch a bottle of ketchup!!!

Anyone else have certain foods that they hate, but like products made with them or vice versa???

Like tomatos and ketchup

or peanuts and peanutbutter??

I love apples, but hate apple juice.

I love macaroni and I love cheese, but I hate mac and cheese.

I love pineapple and I love pizza, but I do not like fruit on my pizza.

I love nuts, but I do not like them IN things (like cookies, brownies, pies).

I will not touch plain yoghurt but will eat it if served with honey and nuts or if added to dishes.

Similarly for tomatoes. I cannot stand the raw taste of it but will go for seared tomatoes, ketchup, tomato paste, sauces or anything that is cooked with it.

I hate eggplant but like eggplant parmesan.

I hate dates but like date nut bread.

I hate figs but like fig newtons

..and for some half answers,

I hate cauliflower

I hate beets

I don't consider gorgonzola edible when it is raw, and by itself. However I love the flavour when it is melted in sauces, quiches etc.

I really like chocolates as they are (mainly milk based, there are very few bitter chocolates that I like though), but I don't care too much for chocolate cakes, ice creams etc. (I eat it, but they wouldn't be my first choices)

I like chocolate and I like nuts - do NOT mix these together in ANY way!

Same goes for peanut butter - do NOT mix this with chocolate!

I don't like Amaretto but I LOVE an Italian Margarita (just sub Amaretto for the triple sec, sugar on rim instead of salt).

I did not even think about that... things you like, but not mixed into anything. I use to be that way about onions. I liked onion flavor, would eat it raw, but could not stand the texture of onions in my food. That has since changed.

I love cherry flavor... but will not eat a real cherry!!!

I wouldn't eat a raw tomato to save my life but I like tomato sauce, spag sauce, blended salsa, ketchup, tomato soup, soup made with tomato juice or V8, dehydrated tomatos (even reconstituded) and roasted tomatos made with evo/garlic processed in the blender.

In addition to not eating a raw tomato....I cannot bear to have seeds or that clear juice anywhere near me. It makes my hands break out in hives.

I am not a huge fan of peanuts, but I like peanut butter.

I love fruit, but never drink juice.

I only like plain yogurt when it's savory, ie cucumber yogurt sauce.

I love cherries right off the tree, but come near me with anything cherry flavored and I gag.. A nice rare steak yum, take same steak and make into hamburger, blech!!:sick: home grown carrots fine, store bought YUK...

kadesma;)

boufa06 said:
I will not touch plain yoghurt but will eat it if served with honey and nuts or if added to dishes.

Similarly for tomatoes. I cannot stand the raw taste of it but will go for seared tomatoes, ketchup, tomato paste, sauces or anything that is cooked with it.

I am the same way, I think it has to do with how acidic they are raw, and how cooking them calms the acidity down.

skilletlicker said:
I hate the taste of buttermilk, but love almost anything cooked with it.

HA!!!! I wont touch milk if you claimed it would save my life... gives me the heebie-geebies.... but I will drink buttermilk to a near overdose!!

Some of mine have already been listed. :cool: I hate figs but like Fig Newtons. I hate buttermilk but I love things made with it. I hate peanuts but I love peanut butter.

Most of mine aren't so much love/hate relationships, but things that I prefer over others. For instance, I like my hot meatloaf without ketchup but my cold meatloaf sandwiches with ketchup, whereas my mom liked her hot meatloaf with ketchup and her cold meatloaf sandwiches without it. I'm not a big fan of fresh apples (I can eat them but I never get in the mood for them), but I love apple juice, apple sauce, and apple pie. I don't care much for fresh pears but loved canned pears. I like frozen spinach but for some reason I prefer canned spinach. I don't like coffee (love the smell!) but I like coffee flavored candies.

:) Barbara

I like peaches, but don't like peach flavoured schnapps.

I like strawberry jam better than fresh strawberries.

I like figs but don't like those fig newtons.

I like maple syrup on pancakes but don't like maple flavoured anything.

I like roasted zucchini, but not steamed or sauteed.

I like fresh fruit, but don't care for fruit in ice cream - I think it's because I don't like the 'frozen' feel.

Yes Daisy, me too!

I love fruits but just can't tolerate any artifical flavorings.

CJ and Daisy is right, when you know and enjoy the flavour of the real, fresh fruits, artificial fruit flavours leave much to be desired. I agree, I find cherry and banana flavours particularly nasty!!:yuk:

There are a couple of others as well...

I love green fresh asparagus, but those mushy white ones out of the tin give me shivers!!

The generic, overpowering taste of monosodium glutamate annoys me no end in most foods (they are often used generously in many prepackaged food and chinese foods), howevr I do like some of the flavoured crisps/potato chips (cheese & onion, sour cream & onion, smokey bacon), which are often seasoned with msg.

Anything 'green apple' flavoured. I love apples, and love martinis, but the very taste of a green apple martini will send me flying for the door.

Back
Top Bottom