I lost a dear friend last night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And of course Big Brother has been watching and everywhere I go here has banner ads of gas grills to remind me :rolleyes:

My Ducane was more than 200-300 and it will be sitting out tomorrow :(
I suppose if I go the charcoal route the grill will certainly last me longer. I won't be grilling near as much having to get the charcoal chimney going every time. Especially with charcoal running about 12 bucks a bag where I live. I have no idea which way to turn now after my conversation with Weber.

And thanks everyone for your condolences. I'm going through withdrawls here knowing that I can't pop down to the store, buy a bag of wings and toss them on the gasser for dinner :shock:

Decisions, decisions... and I have a timeline.

Don't be turned off by Weber's statement that some of their parts rust. I'm sure it's the same for all grill makers. The difference is that Weber's quality
ensures theirs will rust less and last longer.

With the high temps generated inside a grill, metal corrosion is inevitable. At least with Weber, parts are more readily available.

It's the whole thought of spending $700 plus and having to replace those porcelain CI grates with the more expensive grates that I'd prefer. That's a big turn off. Plus CI is a lot heavier and I lift those grates often with my tongs when I am tossing a wood chip pouch over the burner.
It's like Weber is the Harley Davidson of grills. They build them knowing you will be buying accessories and other parts to make them work the way you want. I shouldn't have to do that with that kind of money.

Sad, Pac, nothing lasts forever. Deepest sympathy. I would agree, even with the rust, Weber would probably be the way to go.

It's the whole thought of spending $700 plus and having to replace those porcelain CI grates with the more expensive grates that I'd prefer. ...

IT might be worth checking other outlets. Some models are customized for a particular vendor such as Ace Hardware, Home Depot, etc. They offer cheaper configurations to lower the price. Another source may offer that model with SS grates.

I had porcelain cast iron grates. When they started chipping, I called and Weber sent me new ones.

I'm going to try to make it into Lowes tomorrow to look at them. I did some research and one model is rated very high, best bang for the buck and so on. It's a Huntington Classic. The body is aluminum, which is supposed to be more durable than stainless (like the Webers). And it's only 300 bucks. Made in the US and Canada, too.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: PF and Dawg, shame on you! It is not good for me to be laughing so hard. And which one of you is going to come here and clean the coffee off my screen? :angel:

I'm still waiting for Andy and Pac to clean mine with their ChristianGrillMingle.com! :ROFLMAO:

I'm still waiting for Andy and Pac to clean mine with their ChristianGrillMingle.com! :ROFLMAO:

:wacko: I had suggested "Farmers Grill.com. On second thought that was a bad idea. It is mainly for farmers who are looking for a wife. I don't think Pac would qualify. It was one of my blank moments. All this laughter has me staying out of the kitchen and cleaning. :angel:

Don't be turned off by Weber's statement that some of their parts rust. I'm sure it's the same for all grill makers. The difference is that Weber's quality
ensures theirs will rust less and last longer.

With the high temps generated inside a grill, metal corrosion is inevitable. At least with Weber, parts are more readily available.
I agree with Andy. I can't speak for the long term, but my Genesis has survived one Minnesota year and still looks like new. I've never owned a grill where a few parts, including the grates, haven't picked up a little rust over time.

I'll also add that it's a solid, well-built piece of equipment.

I'm going to try to make it into Lowes tomorrow to look at them. I did some research and one model is rated very high, best bang for the buck and so on. It's a Huntington Classic. The body is aluminum, which is supposed to be more durable than stainless (like the Webers). And it's only 300 bucks. Made in the US and Canada, too.

My deep condolences at the loss of your very precious love. BUT now you can go shopping at a grill or hardware store. Neat! (Personally, I'd rather spend one hour in Lowes than 5 minutes in Macy's)

FWIW, we bought our Sunbeam grill when we moved into this house - which will be 13 years on Saturday. We had the grill in place by Labor Day, it sits outside all the time, we usually remember to cover it when it cools but if we plan on using it again within a few days we don't bother, and the grill rack is cleaned by soaking it in soapy water in the basement utility tub. Himself has replaced the burners twice. In 13 years. You probably use yours more than we use ours since we rarely cook outside here during the winter - access to the grill sucks...long story. BUT we bought it late in the season so it was on sale at Lowes for maybe? $200. That, plus the 2 burner plates, over 13 years is a pretty cheap deal. If you got even half of that it would still be a deal. IF you can hold till they drop prices again - or try and bargain with the Lowes manager - you might be able to get a really good price.

Please shoot me down if I am wrong and why.

Would it help to hold the rust at bay if at the end of the grilling season if you rubbed a light coat of cooking oil on the grill and other parts that are prone to rust? For those who grill year round, what about taking one day a month and coating the rust prone parts?

ATK has stated many times that after a good scrub with the wire brush," take a paper towel and dip it in cooking oil. Spread it on the grates. After a while it builds up a coating akin to a non-stick pan." Wouldn't this also apply to other parts of the grill?

Okay, I have been blindfolded and am ready to be shot down. I have never been a griller, nor owned one. So I have no idea of what I am saying. I just love grilled foods. :angel:

That's pretty interesting, .40. I would not have expected him to put the fire starters on top of the charcoal. Will that work with regular Kingsford or do I need their proprietary lump?
And I admit that is a lot safer than using a chimney, especially since my grill resides on my side porch, but it's still not as safe as a gasser. I compare it to turning on a burner on a stove or building a fire in the stove like they had to do a hundred some years ago.
You did peak my interest though. Too bad I already have a SJ and a WSM in good working order. I certainly don't need three charcoal appliances.

Tell me, is there enough room in there to cook a beer can chicken indirectly?
It looks like with the narrow, funneled charcoal area it would be hard to spread the charcoal out away from the bird.

That's pretty interesting, .40. I would not have expected him to put the fire starters on top of the charcoal. Will that work with regular Kingsford or do I need their proprietary lump?
And I admit that is a lot safer than using a chimney, especially since my grill resides on my side porch, but it's still not as safe as a gasser. I compare it to turning on a burner on a stove or building a fire in the stove like they had to do a hundred some years ago.
You did peak my interest though. Too bad I already have a SJ and a WSM in good working order. I certainly don't need three charcoal appliances.

Tell me, is there enough room in there to cook a beer can chicken indirectly?
It looks like with the narrow, funneled charcoal area it would be hard to spread the charcoal out away from the bird.

It requires Lump Hardwood charcoal but it doesn't have to be their brand. I use B&B Hickory almost exclusively. $7 for about 8#. Rather than build the fire on one side or the other, Joe uses a ceramic heat deflector to create the indirect environment. By adjusting the "stack" of components you can set up for any cooking need. High temp grilling, indirect grilling with or without water pan, baking, low and slow smoking. Temps are very stable and easily adjustable by feeding or starving oxygen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xhD2aVfxac

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom