I lost a dear friend last night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
oops.
I should have excluded those who lived on the edges of swamps and whose homes were on stilts ;)

I beg your pardon, but I learned to cook on a wood burning stove.
A hundred years, deed... Humph! :LOL:
I wish I still had it.

So did I Hoot. I still can tell if the oven is hot enough for the cake to go into it. :angel:

I rarely cook with the burners all the way up, so that might be something I just get used to, having to turn them up a touch higher to achieve the same results.

Man, I can't believe the price of grills these days :wacko:
The local Ace had an interesting looking grill, a Char-Griller Duo, half propane/half charcoal, but too many reviews about the gas half rotting out in a couple years. Probably why it was only $324. Nice concept though. And nice price.
And they just have the Spirit line Weber, which would cost a whopping 500 bucks for the one I would need. Then we jump all the way up another 200 bucks for a girl like Steve has, the Genesis line :ohmy: $719 at Amazon for a natural gas model. I read a couple guys saying the Genesis is built better and will last longer than the Spirit. For an extra $200 it had better.
I think I'll call Weber, explain the demise of my Ducane and simply ask what they would recommend.

I have the Char Griller gas (not the duo, just the gas side) and it's rotting out after 4 years, to the point that I can't use all of the grates because the metal holding them up has rotted out and the bottom of the grill is rotting out. It's an absolute mess. I'm limping along until after the wedding to see if there are enough available funds for a new grill. Whether or not we get a new grill soon, this one will be gone within a month or two. I kept it clean and painted any spots that needed it, so it wasn't neglected. I know someone who has the duo that is having the same issues, but his is younger.

With that said, before it rotted out, it was an amazing grill. Easy to reach 700 degrees, cast iron enamel grates created a great sear and grill marks. One burner with wood chips wrapped in foil made a great smoker and maintained 225 degrees perfectly.

I won't be buying another one for sure.

I have the Char Griller gas (not the duo, just the gas side) and it's rotting out after 4 years, to the point that I can't use all of the grates because the metal holding them up has rotted out and the bottom of the grill is rotting out. It's an absolute mess. I'm limping along until after the wedding to see if there are enough available funds for a new grill. Whether or not we get a new grill soon, this one will be gone within a month or two. I kept it clean and painted any spots that needed it, so it wasn't neglected. I know someone who has the duo that is having the same issues, but his is younger.

With that said, before it rotted out, it was an amazing grill. Easy to reach 700 degrees, cast iron enamel grates created a great sear and grill marks. One burner with wood chips wrapped in foil made a great smoker and maintained 225 degrees perfectly.

I won't be buying another one for sure.

A new grill might be something to put on your wedding registry, if you can wait that long, Bakechef! Maybe you can use a Smoky Joe or hibachi in the meantime.

A new grill might be something to put on your wedding registry, if you can wait that long, Bakechef! Maybe you can use a Smoky Joe or hibachi in the meantime.

I was told the same thing recently, so I think that I'll put one on the registry! It's only 3 weeks away!!!!! We leave 2 weeks from Monday :ohmy:

I'm still using the grill, but just one side, LOL

I was told the same thing recently, so I think that I'll put one on the registry! It's only 3 weeks away!!!!! We leave 2 weeks from Monday :ohmy:

I'm still using the grill, but just one side, LOL

Wow! Three weeks! Now I'm getting really nervous and excited for you.....

Wow, that's too bad, Bakechef. Such a short life. And at first glance they seem really well made. I almost impulse purchased the one I saw I liked it so much. I'm glad I read the reviews and your words just enforced that.

So instead I impulse purchased this one. Take a good look. This is the last time she will be this clean :chef:
new grill.jpg

I already reconfigured the gas lines in my basement and started another line to feed her. Tomorrow I should be able to get it through the block wall, under the porch crawlspace (spiders, eww :ermm:) and up through the deck.
And then it's trying to decide what to cook on her first. Maybe a hot dog :rolleyes:
Oh how quickly we forget those who have gone before...

I didn't even realize you were getting married, bakechef...where have I been. Raising a toast to you and your beloved that you may enjoy life together for a long, long time. You will be posting pictures in a members' album, I hope?

Wow, that's too bad, Bakechef. Such a short life. And at first glance they seem really well made. I almost impulse purchased the one I saw I liked it so much. I'm glad I read the reviews and your words just enforced that.

So instead I impulse purchased this one. Take a good look. This is the last time she will be this clean :chef:

I already reconfigured the gas lines in my basement and started another line to feed her. Tomorrow I should be able to get it through the block wall, under the porch crawlspace (spiders, eww :ermm:) and up through the deck.
And then it's trying to decide what to cook on her first. Maybe a hot dog :rolleyes:

She's beautiful, Pac! Congrats! Here's to a long relationship!

Ooooooo, shiny, shiny bright metal.

Looks like you got a really nice one! Congrats!

Which model is it? What's the burner config? What is the cooking grate made of?

View attachment 18400

OMG envy!!!!

That's beautiful! Congrats

C'est la vie. Joe could have been a great friend.

Technology triumphs again. I know you'll enjoy your new gasser. With the natural gas feed it will be very convenient to use for many years to come.

Congrats

I didn't even realize you were getting married, bakechef...where have I been. Raising a toast to you and your beloved that you may enjoy life together for a long, long time. You will be posting pictures in a members' album, I hope?

Thank you! I sure will!

She's beautiful, Pac! Congrats! Here's to a long relationship!
Thanks! I hope it's my last relationship. As the saying goes, I'm getting to old for this...

Ooooooo, shiny, shiny bright metal.

Looks like you got a really nice one! Congrats!

Which model is it? What's the burner config? What is the cooking grate made of?

Thanks Andy. It has three main burners running front to back with a dummy flavor bar in-between the right one and the middle one. It looks like a burner is there, but just fills the space. Kind of odd I thought. And instead of another dummy flavor bar like some have, this one has a searing burner in-between the left and middle burners, which is really just another regular burner (with a smaller knob) to give you a lot of heat on that side.
It's an S330 Genesis. It has the SS grates and aluminum box.

I wanna hear all about it, 'cause I'm looking to buy my first ever gas grill.

And I'm hoping to buy my last one! :LOL:
If this one gives out after 8-10 years I'm going to invest in a circle of rocks on the ground.

OMG envy!!!!

That's beautiful! Congrats

C'est la vie. Joe could have been a great friend.

Technology triumphs again. I know you'll enjoy your new gasser. With the natural gas feed it will be very convenient to use for many years to come.

Congrats

Thanks .40.
Of course technology triumphed. Like I said, I didn't need a charcoal smoker or grill because I already have two things that cover that.
I did look at the Acorn while I was there. The ceramic in your KJ make yours seem like the better do everything grill if I get so inclined to go that way.

Thanks again everyone.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom