I lost a dear friend last night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
I wasn't going to say anything, but someone once said to me that misery loves company...

Last night I feel I may have done something that cost me a dear friend.
I don't remember how long we have been together. I don't keep track of such things. Seven years? Five? I do know that they were hard years... mostly on her.
Sure, her body isn't what it used to be, but neither is mine. I blame my body showing signs of being soft around the middle mostly on her. The food she would turn out was utterly amazing for the most part.

I had tried to help her along, dressing her up as best I could, taking it easier this past year, but last night as I slid my hand under her... and gently wrapped it around her knob as I was putting on a new propane tank, she cracked, literally falling apart to my touch...

So, like many guys my age, I think a younger model is in order. I don't have money for a corvette ;)

My Ducane has served me well. Rest in pieces.

Such a profound loss leave a hole in a man's heart that is impossible to fill. You have my most sincere condolences.

Check out GrillHarmony.com or GrillMatch.com. Or even ChristianGrillMingle.com. to try to begin filling that deep deep hole.

Stay away from Craig'sGrillList.com Lots of weirdos.

Ok, this is just cruel, ok it's very funny too. I am a big weber fan, they make a very good companion.

:LOL: Christian Grill Mingle... :ROFLMAO:
I laugh every time I see or hear that commercial.
And I will definitely stay away from Craig's List... I watch those LMN movies :rolleyes:

And yes I have a stove. That's where I steam my broccoli ;)

Off to look at Joe...

Ahh, Kamado Joe...
I need gas .40. I've got a WSM and a Smokey Joe. I need my 3-4 burner propane guzzling gasser.

And I will definitely give Weber a close look. They have those right down here at the hardware store. I'm not the type that can do without the companionship of a grill for long.

Meet Gen. I started a relationship with her last year and she has since become my new go to girl on weeknights, when I need a quickie meal.

1303836505_WeberGenesisS-330GasGrill-PropaneLP_cmyk_6570001B.jpg

I also have my old kettle grill, but usually save her for the weekends. ;)

Last edited:
Ahh, Kamado Joe...
I need gas .40. I've got a WSM and a Smokey Joe. I need my 3-4 burner propane guzzling gasser.

And I will definitely give Weber a close look. They have those right down here at the hardware store. I'm not the type that can do without the companionship of a grill for long.

In my mind, Weber is the way to go for gas. I bought my Ducane (owned by Weber) because I didn't want to spend the big bucks for a Weber. Weber charcoal is a different story.

Gen looks high maintenance, Steve.
That's my dilemma... a high priced girl that might only be around for another seven years or so, or a more commonplace girl that I won't mind replacing when the time comes.
And really, I should go au naturale... Technically speaking all my tanks need replaced because they are dated. And natural gas is free, but they also seem to cost more, too.

Such a profound loss leave a hole in a man's heart that is impossible to fill. You have my most sincere condolences.

Check out GrillHarmony.com or GrillMatch.com. Or even ChristianGrillMingle.com. to try to begin filling that deep deep hole.

Stay away from Craig'sGrillList.com Lots of weirdos.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: You forgot GrillFarmers.com :angel:

Gen looks high maintenance, Steve.
That's my dilemma... a high priced girl that might only be around for another seven years or so, or a more commonplace girl that I won't mind replacing when the time comes.
And really, I should go au naturale... Technically speaking all my tanks need replaced because they are dated. And natural gas is free, but they also seem to cost more, too.

Natural gas doesn't deliver as many BTUs as propane so you lose some at the top end. Not sure if that's a problem though.

Natural gas doesn't deliver as many BTUs as propane so you lose some at the top end. Not sure if that's a problem though.

I rarely cook with the burners all the way up, so that might be something I just get used to, having to turn them up a touch higher to achieve the same results.

Man, I can't believe the price of grills these days :wacko:
The local Ace had an interesting looking grill, a Char-Griller Duo, half propane/half charcoal, but too many reviews about the gas half rotting out in a couple years. Probably why it was only $324. Nice concept though. And nice price.
And they just have the Spirit line Weber, which would cost a whopping 500 bucks for the one I would need. Then we jump all the way up another 200 bucks for a girl like Steve has, the Genesis line :ohmy: $719 at Amazon for a natural gas model. I read a couple guys saying the Genesis is built better and will last longer than the Spirit. For an extra $200 it had better.
I think I'll call Weber, explain the demise of my Ducane and simply ask what they would recommend.

Ahh, Kamado Joe...

Go charcoal or go home ;)

I was feeling so bad this spring. The burners on my gasser rusted out. It seemed like Jr had just given it to me for father's day. hen the neighbors rolled theirs out to the alley for trash pick up. They said it's 10 years old, and needed replacing. I got mine the same time. So I guess it gave and gave good for a really long time.

I like my weber charcoaler just fine.

I too prefer charcoal. You get that smoky flavor with it. That to me is half the goodness of grilling. More natural. :angel:

Well you gotta love an honest customer service representative.
According to Weber, both the Spirit and the Genesis models have a lot of parts on them that will rust, including the cooking grates, which will constantly need this rust cleaned off before using the grill.
How goofy is that?

Sorry for your loss, Pac. You grill so many yummy sounding dishes. I have propane (which I hardly use anymore--the closest place I can refill the tank is about a 20-minute drive and not close to anything else--with the price of gas for the car, it seems somewhat of an unnecessary trip), so I've been using my little Brinkman "all-in-one" smoker/grill. I sometimes use 1/2 wood, 1/2 charcoal, other times all wood, and others all charcoal. Depends on how organized I am about when I start it and when I want to eat. A lot less hassle then having to refill the propane tank. Have propane at the farm.

When evaluating what to purchase, how often I will use the item does get taken into consideration as well as the "average life expectancy" of the product. The ones I see curbside are usually those that are in the 200-300 price range when purchased new.

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss, Pac. You grill so many yummy sounding dishes. I have propane (which I hardly use anymore--the closest place I can refill the tank is about a 20-minute drive and not close to anything else--with the price of gas for the car, it seems somewhat of an unnecessary trip), so I've been using my little Brinkman "all-in-one" smoker/grill. I sometimes use 1/2 wood, 1/2 charcoal, other times all wood, and others all charcoal. Depends on how organized I am about when I start it and when I want to eat. A lot less hassle then having to refill the propane tank. Have propane at the farm.

When evaluating what to purchase, how often I will use the item does get taken into consideration as well as the "average life expectancy" of the product. The ones I see curbside are usually those that are in the 200-300 price range when purchased new.

My Ducane was more than 200-300 and it will be sitting out tomorrow :(
I suppose if I go the charcoal route the grill will certainly last me longer. I won't be grilling near as much having to get the charcoal chimney going every time. Especially with charcoal running about 12 bucks a bag where I live. I have no idea which way to turn now after my conversation with Weber.

And thanks everyone for your condolences. I'm going through withdrawls here knowing that I can't pop down to the store, buy a bag of wings and toss them on the gasser for dinner :shock:

Decisions, decisions... and I have a timeline.

Back
Top Bottom