"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-30-2008, 08:12 AM   #1
Master Chef

I may love the snow, but...

Ya know, I love the snow as much as the next guy, but like I said, I've already shoveled off my garage roof this year, we had snow falling all weekend, with all of yesterday and last night an outright blizzard, and it's still snowing right now. I haven't even had a chance to shovel out what the plow left in my driveway yesterday. And being home with a flu bug, well, this work stuff is getting old. This heavy snowfall is also hard on many of the forest animals, like deer, although it really helps the grouse as they use it to hide from predators. So next year, we'll have more ruffed grouse and fewer white tails. I do hope that all of this frozen precipitation helps raise the water levels of the great lakes. We could use another couple of feet in the river. It makes for much better fishing. Bass and perch gain a great deal more habitat when there's a couple more feet of water in the many little bays.

Ok, enough sour grapes for one day. I've got it off my chest. Hope all of you are doing great.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:25 AM   #2
Sous Chef

I know what you mean. Last year we obliterated the old seasonal snowfall record. This year we have already broken the monthly snowfall record for any month, and the "snowy season" is just starting! All this in Madison, WI where lot's of snow is not unusual...

Old 12-30-2008, 10:27 AM   #3
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
A record snowfall in NJ would cripple the state and not be much accumulation at all (LOL).

AC
Old 12-30-2008, 10:31 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Well, it was 60 degrees yesterday and people sat outside at our tables and drank wine.

I would like to see just one weekend of a really good snow!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:36 AM   #5
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Be careful what you ask for (LOL)

Hi KE - AC
Old 12-30-2008, 10:43 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Last year was tough for us too. It was snowing every other day at least 6 inches and it was rough managing space. This year we have had a couple of small ones and a huge one that was 24 inches and that is of coarse when I find out my snow thrower isn't working. I am real tired of it myself.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:26 PM   #7
Cook

I screwed up my snowblower by trying to fix it when it would not start during the last blizzard. Now I wait for parts and hope the snow holds off until I can have another go at repairing that beast.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:39 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent View Post
I screwed up my snowblower by trying to fix it when it would not start during the last blizzard. Now I wait for parts and hope the snow holds off until I can have another go at repairing that beast.
My son lost my shovel. I'm currently borrowing a lesser tool from my son-in-law's sister. But it's sturdy enough until I can get to a hardware store to find another one that I like.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote