"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-27-2018, 08:00 PM   #11
Head Chef
 
Just Cooking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 2,486
Sad to see good local markets going away..

The Grove Market, in Pacific Grove, was bought by a PGHS classmate in 1969 and is still going strong..

In the 50's it was A Purity store and I worked there, doing cleanup, as a freshman in high school..

Charlie, in his 80's now, still mans the excellent meat department.. Love that store and worked produce, part time there for 3 years.. Unlike Charlie, I gave up working when I hit 76...

Grove Market Pacific Grove

Ross
__________________

__________________
Disclaimer: My experiences may not be as someone else might think correct.. Life goes on..
Just Cooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:29 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 21,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
It is a Walmart country now.

My uncle and his wife had a small "mom and pop" grocery in a small town when I was a kid. My cousin lives in it today, and has a music recording studio in it.

CD

Don't be so cynical.

Here in immigrantville, legal or not, small stores with lots of local stuff survive.

Maybe there's a new hope, before the empire strikes back.
__________________

__________________
We're coming in too fast and everyone is burning bright
Hundred and eighty two seconds, baby, and heaven is a trick of the light
Cold hell, my love, Cold hell, my love
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:45 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 21,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
Don't be so cynical.

Here in immigrantville, legal or not, small stores with lots of local stuff survive.

Maybe there's a new hope, before the empire strikes back.
We have had Mom and Pop stores ever since I was a kid. And every one of them are owned by an immigrant. There are two right near where I live, and I go to them all the time. Our local supermarkets are just too far away. One is down the square and one is over in the next town. That creates all kinds of problems. Have to take a bus to get to either one, unless you have a car.

Sure, the Mom and Pop store is expensive. But they don't buy in bulk like the big supermarkets do. So they have to pay more for their stock. And they pass that cost to the consumers.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:37 PM   #14
Executive Chef
 
Caslon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ring of fire. So. Calif.
Posts: 2,953
Addie, I went to a clean establishment semi-modern butcher shop. There are very few left. What they wanted for lamb shoulder chops per pound was literally twice what the supermarkets charge per pound. I understand that. Butcher shops are a dying breed now.
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 03:19 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 21,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Addie, I went to a clean establishment semi-modern butcher shop. There are very few left. What they wanted for lamb shoulder chops per pound was literally twice what the supermarkets charge per pound. I understand that. Butcher shops are a dying breed now.
When Spike was 13 he worked in such a shop. He learned a lot about how to butcher and cut meats. As a results, today I tell him what I want for meats, and he picks them out for me.

His main job was to stock the shelves and keep the place clean. But he is no dummy. He knew there is money to be made if you knew about meats. So he would have the owner teach him when he wasn't busy. I used to do my shopping in that store. And he had to carry it home for me. THEN I HAD TO GIVE HIME A TIP!!! Just like any other customer.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:58 PM   #16
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
We have had Mom and Pop stores ever since I was a kid. And every one of them are owned by an immigrant. There are two right near where I live, and I go to them all the time. Our local supermarkets are just too far away. One is down the square and one is over in the next town. That creates all kinds of problems. Have to take a bus to get to either one, unless you have a car.

Sure, the Mom and Pop store is expensive. But they don't buy in bulk like the big supermarkets do. So they have to pay more for their stock. And they pass that cost to the consumers.
Yeah there are some ethnic smaller food markets here. Though they are at least 5 miles away. There's a really nice middle eastern family that owns one. They carry the basics like fresh meats, produce, spices as well as general groceries like rice, canned goods, cereals, etc.. They also have a deli and hot foods section where you can get a yummy falafel or a submarine sandwich.

They're very nice people. Their kids were born here. One's a physician. The other kids work in the store. One FT the other ones PT.

I would've stopped there on my way from my friend's house to my house, but it's a little out of the way.
jd_1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:21 PM   #17
Executive Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 4,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
Don't be so cynical.

Here in immigrantville, legal or not, small stores with lots of local stuff survive.

Maybe there's a new hope, before the empire strikes back.
Things are a lot different in NYC.

Last summer, I was working in NYC for a week, and stayed in the Red Hook area of Brooklyn. There were lots of these neighborhood hole-in-the-wall "groceries." They didn't have much stock, and no fresh meats or veggies, but they made some pretty amazing sandwiches.

There was also a Fairway Market on Brunt Street. Wow! I went there about three times. If I lived near one, it would probably be my main grocery store.

CD
__________________
I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell -- Richard Feynman
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:10 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 21,026
Fairway markets are wonderful. They're a lot like Wjole Foods in terms of selection and quality, but no where near the price.
__________________
We're coming in too fast and everyone is burning bright
Hundred and eighty two seconds, baby, and heaven is a trick of the light
Cold hell, my love, Cold hell, my love
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:15 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 21,433
What I love about the Mom and Pop stores is that for the most part, they are owned by immigrants. If you become friends with them, start to ask questions about where they come from, how come they decided to come to America, do they have children, ect., you can get a geography and history lesson at the same time.

The one close to me, is owned by an Iranian. His wife just had their second child. He was so excited. He had an American citizen in his family. She was pregnant when she arrived. Every time I go in there, his face lights up. I guess I am the only one who will stand there and listen to him talk about his American citizen. He even gave the baby an American name. Mary. I can't help but get caught up in his excitement.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:14 AM   #20
Executive Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
What I love about the Mom and Pop stores is that for the most part, they are owned by immigrants. If you become friends with them, start to ask questions about where they come from, how come they decided to come to America, do they have children, ect., you can get a geography and history lesson at the same time.

The one close to me, is owned by an Iranian. His wife just had their second child. He was so excited. He had an American citizen in his family. She was pregnant when she arrived. Every time I go in there, his face lights up. I guess I am the only one who will stand there and listen to him talk about his American citizen. He even gave the baby an American name. Mary. I can't help but get caught up in his excitement.
We so often take our US citizenship for granted. I have a good friend here who just took his oath a week and a half ago, and he was so excited about it. He isn't even from a depressed country either... he's from the UK, Welsh, but he is married to a local man. They have been together for more than a decade, and actually married for 4 years. He is one of the most active members of our Methodist church, and has earned the respect of most of the locals. He posted a half dozen photos on Facebook of his celebration party after the naturalization ceremony. I found it interesting that even though he could live just about anyplace in the world that he wished (he makes very good money in corporate support and sales for IBM IT technologies), he chose to live here in this obscure little farm town.

Even though I've never lived anywhere that's as ethnically diverse as NYC, I've known quite a few naturalized citizens, and they have all been good, contributing members of society. Getting to know them over the years and learning their history has given me a deeper appreciation of my own good fortune in being born a US citizen - its not something that I take lightly.
__________________

__________________
Rick
RPCookin is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.