"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2018, 11:07 AM   #21
Executive Chef

First world problem. We have freezers (chopped peppers) and a downstairs pantry where we stock canned food, food from the garden (potatoes, onions), extra spices, flours, sugars, coffee, oil.
Most of what we buy, we try (try) to buy on sale at larger markets farther away.

It's my job, like the small town grocer, to make sure none of the goods are going bad, like potatoes that want to grow, or canned food losing it's seal. It's my job as the freezer owner to watch the inventory, to make sure the equipment stays running. I take risks and I have upkeep, just like a small town grocer but this is just for one household.

I have two dry erase boards on the refrigerator. One lists the things I want from the downstairs pantry, a shopping list, and there is no traffic to deal with. One lists the things I want from the grocery store. There is another paper list of things I want but can wait until it goes on sale at the larger grocery stores.

I realize not everyone would go through the trouble or have the space to do that, but we like being prepared in case of job loss or natural causes. I was brought up by people born during the depression and those people were raised by people raising families during the depression, so it seems pretty natural to me. I'm pretty sure I should have been born during the 1880's.

blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:10 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
We so often take our US citizenship for granted. I have a good friend here who just took his oath a week and a half ago, and he was so excited about it. He isn't even from a depressed country either... he's from the UK, Welsh, but he is married to a local man. They have been together for more than a decade, and actually married for 4 years. He is one of the most active members of our Methodist church, and has earned the respect of most of the locals. He posted a half dozen photos on Facebook of his celebration party after the naturalization ceremony. I found it interesting that even though he could live just about anyplace in the world that he wished (he makes very good money in corporate support and sales for IBM IT technologies), he chose to live here in this obscure little farm town.

Even though I've never lived anywhere that's as ethnically diverse as NYC, I've known quite a few naturalized citizens, and they have all been good, contributing members of society. Getting to know them over the years and learning their history has given me a deeper appreciation of my own good fortune in being born a US citizen - its not something that I take lightly.
When my first husband died, (he was born and raised in England) he had received his American citizenship along with that small American flag. We placed the flag in his hands along with his citizenship papers. Two of his most cherished items. He would tell anyone who would listen that he was an American citizen.

Old 01-29-2018, 02:39 PM   #23
Cook

Where in Ohio are you? I'm in a suburb of Cleveland. You don't go anywhere without passing a Save-A-Lot store. Then there's Aldi's, Marc's and even a couple of Drug Stores that have produce and a deli counter. There's also three small Farmers Markets and one Mom & Pop store called Gabors in my area.

I didn't do it, and you can't prove it!
anonymous
milford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:09 PM   #24
Head Chef

There was a small Mom and Pop store two blocks from me when I lived in California. I shopped there once and got hamburger, only to find it had an expired tag on it from the year before! I tossed that and never shopped there again.

But I know what you guys are talking about. The 7-11 I worked in had a dairy with milk, cheese, and meat packages. We also sold eggs and some frozen food. Recently I went down to the local 7-11 here to get some cheese and they didn't even sell milk.

On the bright side, though, I remember when I was five and we lived with my grandmother. She always shopped in a little store up the block on the corner called Cecil's. She was in there constantly.

When I was back in Minnesota in 2012, I went to find the old house and found Cecil's still on the corner. The sons are still running it and it's a delicatessen now, but their mom is still alive. I asked them to tell her Marie's granddaughter says hi.

That store has been there since 1949.

Cecils Deli Main Page

------------------------
I cook because my pots and pans are the closest thing to a chemistry experiment that I have. So far I haven't blown up the kitchen!
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:36 PM   #25
Master Chef

Sadly mom and pop stores are all but gone. There are some Asian and some Mexican stores, smaller ones, but they are located in certain areas not very convenient to shop. Corporations are killing good oled America.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:40 PM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post

When I was back in Minnesota in 2012, I went to find the old house and found Cecil's still on the corner. The sons are still running it and it's a delicatessen now, but their mom is still alive. I asked them to tell her Marie's granddaughter says hi.

That store has been there since 1949.

Cecils Deli Main Page
Sad, But it is the lousiest Deli ever. I ate there once, some 22 years ago, the reason I remember because my wife was in the hospital with our son, and I would not step my foot there again. People must be either really nostalgic to eat there, or desperate, as I was. Shame. Their cousins in Chicago have a restaurant, they should drive up and take a lesson on how to run it and what to cook.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:49 PM   #27
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by milford View Post
Where in Ohio are you? I'm in a suburb of Cleveland. You don't go anywhere without passing a Save-A-Lot store. Then there's Aldi's, Marc's and even a couple of Drug Stores that have produce and a deli counter. There's also three small Farmers Markets and one Mom & Pop store called Gabors in my area.
I'm in the Youngstown/Warren area so about an hour and a half SE from you. Yeah, Cleveland and its 'burbs have a ton of places to buy real food. I wish we had a Trader Joe's like you guys have. :)
jd_1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:03 PM   #28
Sous Chef

I found this on YouTube -- footage of a late 1950's era Safeway supermarket somewhere in the SF Bay Area I assume. There's a shot of the Golden Gate Bridge at the end.

A lot of comments are "wow, they're not dressed in pajamas like today's shoppers, and the women are wearing dresses." :) I rarely see people shopping in PJ's around here.

Really, it looks like a modern grocery store. Notice the hot foods clerk cooking all those rotisserie chickens. I wasn't born until 1972 but I think I remember the tiny kid size shopping carts. The local Safeway we shopped at must've had them. My mom usually shopped at Lucky's, though.
jd_1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:22 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_1138 View Post
A lot of comments are "wow, they're not dressed in pajamas like today's shoppers, and the women are wearing dresses." :) I rarely see people shopping in PJ's around here.
Have you been to a Walmart, lately?

Where I live, I never see a lot of things, unless I go to the one Walmart in town.

I remember the year that store opened. We had 3 homicides in our burb that year, and two of them were in the Walmart parking lot.

CD
“It was curious to think that the sky was the same for everybody, in Eurasia or Eastasia as well as here -- people ignorant of one another’s existence, held apart by walls of hatred and lies, and yet almost exactly the same.” -- George Orwell, 1984
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:30 PM   #30
Master Chef

I miss them, too. We only have maybe two mom and pop food stores here - one of them is an Asian store which I love. The other is about 10 miles out of town so I don't get there often and to be honest, their produce is not all that great.

This thread reminds me of back in the day when my brother and I were around 8. We would beg my mother to let us walk to the corner store by ourselves, so every now and then my mom would give us a dollar to go to the store for bread and eggs....and we'd bring home the change. We didn't know until years later that she pretty much craned her neck out the kitchen window watching us to make sure we got there and home OK.