"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-12-2010, 02:45 PM   #1
Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 77
I need a hug

We belong to a gourmet club and this year we are doing Food Network chefs. So far everything has been great however tonight I am to bring Tra Vigne's Chocolate Tiramisu from a Michael Chirello book. I just assembled mine and feel like crying!! The zabaglione broke down, causing the chocolate mouse and top cake to slide off the bottom layer of cake. It looks awful!!! I don't know whether to still take it or stop at Fresh Market and pick up some dessert that is more presentable, and admit this recipe is above my level. How embarrassing!!

__________________

__________________
julesthegolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
Flour Child
 
mollyanne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 1,406
BIG hug from me, jules...I feel for you. But I have an idea. As long as it's edible still and only a cosmetic problem, why not serve it with some humor. You know that Food Network show called "Chopped"? Put it under a covered dish like theirs and put a sign on it that say's "Chopped". Or "Which dish has been chopped?" Sometimes we just have to laugh at ourselves. Everyone understands because we've all been there. Hold your head high and be proud that it tastes so yummy!
__________________

__________________


. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 77
Thanks! Love the idea (and your compassion). After a glass of wine I'm already feeling better. XOXO
__________________
julesthegolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:10 PM   #4
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,300
cut it up, put it in a trifle bowl...
__________________

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:45 PM   #5
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
BIG hug from me, jules...I feel for you. But I have an idea. As long as it's edible still and only a cosmetic problem, why not serve it with some humor. You know that Food Network show called "Chopped"? Put it under a covered dish like theirs and put a sign on it that say's "Chopped". Or "Which dish has been chopped?" Sometimes we just have to laugh at ourselves. Everyone understands because we've all been there. Hold your head high and be proud that it tastes so yummy!
I'm sorry it didn't turn out the way you had hoped. I love this idea though!

Barbara
__________________
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
Senior Cook
 
n2cookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 124
I agree if it is edible then the above serving ideas would be great. Sorry it did not turn out like you planned. At least you tried making it. I am too big a chicken to even try.
__________________
n2cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:23 AM   #7
Master Chef
 
Constance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Southern Illiniois
Posts: 8,175
I have plenty of hugs to go around...
Attached Images
 
__________________
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:31 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,379
The biggest disasters seem to happen at the worst times. I'm sure next time will be better. Besides, why should you be the only one who's never screwed up a dish.

I'm reminded of a comment from Julia Child. If you screw up a dish, just pretend that's the way it's supposed to be.

For next time, layer the disaster into a stemmed glass for individual servings.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #9
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
The biggest disasters seem to happen at the worst times. I'm sure next time will be better. Besides, why should you be the only one who's never screwed up a dish.

I'm reminded of a comment from Julia Child. If you screw up a dish, just pretend that's the way it's supposed to be.

For next time, layer the disaster into a stemmed glass for individual servings.
Oh great! Now every time I make a layered dessert in stemmed glasses, everyone will think I messed up! Just kidding of course--that is a good idea.

Barbara
__________________
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:10 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Oh great! Now every time I make a layered dessert in stemmed glasses, everyone will think I messed up! Just kidding of course--that is a good idea.

Barbara
LOL! I never thought of it that way! Just make sure your friends don't visit DC and read this thread.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.