I need a hug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We belong to a gourmet club and this year we are doing Food Network chefs. So far everything has been great however tonight I am to bring Tra Vigne's Chocolate Tiramisu from a Michael Chirello book. I just assembled mine and feel like crying!! The zabaglione broke down, causing the chocolate mouse and top cake to slide off the bottom layer of cake. It looks awful!!! I don't know whether to still take it or stop at Fresh Market and pick up some dessert that is more presentable, and admit this recipe is above my level. How embarrassing!!:(

BIG hug from me, jules...I feel for you. But I have an idea. As long as it's edible still and only a cosmetic problem, why not serve it with some humor. You know that Food Network show called "Chopped"? Put it under a covered dish like theirs and put a sign on it that say's "Chopped". Or "Which dish has been chopped?" Sometimes we just have to laugh at ourselves. Everyone understands because we've all been there. Hold your head high and be proud that it tastes so yummy!

BIG hug from me, jules...I feel for you. But I have an idea. As long as it's edible still and only a cosmetic problem, why not serve it with some humor. You know that Food Network show called "Chopped"? Put it under a covered dish like theirs and put a sign on it that say's "Chopped". Or "Which dish has been chopped?" Sometimes we just have to laugh at ourselves. Everyone understands because we've all been there. Hold your head high and be proud that it tastes so yummy!
I'm sorry it didn't turn out the way you had hoped. I love this idea though!

:)Barbara

I agree if it is edible then the above serving ideas would be great. Sorry it did not turn out like you planned. At least you tried making it. I am too big a chicken to even try.

I have plenty of hugs to go around...

Attachments

• hug.gif
    hug.gif
    17.3 KB · Views: 80
The biggest disasters seem to happen at the worst times. I'm sure next time will be better. Besides, why should you be the only one who's never screwed up a dish.

I'm reminded of a comment from Julia Child. If you screw up a dish, just pretend that's the way it's supposed to be.

For next time, layer the disaster into a stemmed glass for individual servings.

The biggest disasters seem to happen at the worst times. I'm sure next time will be better. Besides, why should you be the only one who's never screwed up a dish.

I'm reminded of a comment from Julia Child. If you screw up a dish, just pretend that's the way it's supposed to be.

For next time, layer the disaster into a stemmed glass for individual servings.
Oh great! Now every time I make a layered dessert in stemmed glasses, everyone will think I messed up! :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL: Just kidding of course--that is a good idea.

Oh great! Now every time I make a layered dessert in stemmed glasses, everyone will think I messed up! :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL: Just kidding of course--that is a good idea.

LOL! I never thought of it that way! Just make sure your friends don't visit DC and read this thread.

LOL! I never thought of it that way! Just make sure your friends don't visit DC and read this thread.
That's ok, I'm the type that tells everyone how I messed up anyway! Like when I was first married many zillions of years ago and I didn't have time to get all the dishes done before my mom and a friend came to visit. I put the dishes in the oven so everything would look nice, and then I ended up showing them! Sheesh!

Thank you all!! After crying for 20 minutes and thinking about every other failure of my life, and wondering why my husband was on the golf course, I read the posts and was able to compose myself :) I was able to get the top cake layers on top of the bottoms, held together by the mouse. There was hardly any zabaglione, but it tasted great without it. I sprinkled cocoa powder over and around each one (they were the size of biscuits), fanned a strawberry on top, and put a little sprig of mint at the side, just like the picture. It turned out fine. WHEW!! Thank you all for your caring!

I was able to get the top cake layers on top of the bottoms, held together by the mouse.
...it's amazing how one "s" can change the whole picture :LOL:. Don'tcha just hate those pesky typos...i do it constantly ;)

...thanks for the update...I love happy endings. And I love your sense of humor, jules.

I just love the picture in my mind of the mouse holding the layers together! Wouldn't your club love that!

Back
Top Bottom