I Need a Little Christmas, Right this Very Minute...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh boy!!!! Twuffles and Peppermint Patties at the same time!!!!! WoW!!

They say Chicken soup is good for what ails ya....Just wait till ya wrap ya lips around some good ole Southern Chied Fricken!!! You'll be strutin like a rooster!!!:LOL:

Uncle Bob--I love your sig line and I get a feeling that you and my dad would have gotten along just fine.

Laurie, I hope you had a good night sleep and have awakened feeling a bit better knowing that you are loved and are not alone. I am so proud of you that you recognized things weren't right and admitted it. That is always the hardest part. I have a hard time admitting that I have my limits and accepting that. It is not easy dealing with dementia. We all have our crosses to bear but sharing our troubles makes the load lighter.
Hugs, Susan

:) Laurie, you need to check out the gumption thread a lighter take on the lack of xmas spirit. I think a lot of us are feeling this way. I personally don't take it too hard when I don't have the Christmas Spirit which is just about every year so much is expected from so many people which can be quite stressful. I say don't let it get to you and do what you can but don't feel guilty or sad you can't do it all. You give so much of yourself that there are times you should just do what YOU want and or do nothing at all if thats how you feel. It's OK to get a little selfish and do nice things for yourself and nobody else. Chalk out certain days or a week even for your ME time to do nothing but relax and enjoy YOURSELF that way you can regroup, renenergize and refresh yourself. Choose to do what matters to you most and let go of some of the other stuff you do just because you feel obligated to do it. First chance you get take a day off and go somewhere and pamper yourself.
Just know you are loved here and we are ready and able to see you through the holidays.
Jackie

Thanks, JP, I actually posted in the gumption thread the day before I started this thread. I think in a way that is what alerted me to the fact I was slipping a bit. But writing here and finding out how much I am loved, having my best friend take some time out of a busy day just to come and give me a hug and a cheer-up gift, feeding the needy last night and a good night sleep have all helped me more than you know.

I am taking today, until DH gets home from work, to just do as I please and then he and I are doing a little shopping and going out for dinner. I am not saying I am all done with the Christmas Blues, but I am well on my way thanks for the most part to my loving DC family.

Laurie, I just saw this thread and I'm so glad to hear your feeling better. We are all afraid to admit things in our lives, but until we admit them they will not change. Try to keep a smile even when you don't feel like it. Lots of love sent your way. :heart::heart::heart:

That is why I see a massotherapist at least once a month and when I go down to South Florida I go to a Red Door Spa. There is nothing better than being pampered.

Hi,

Although I am new here and we have not met, I understand what you are going through. Christmas is always a tough time for me too, having been raised by my bipolar alcoholic father and despondent mother -I suffer from PTSD (just realized this recently) and many things trigger me - loud voices, our toddler hurting himself, someone not listening to me, etc etc etc - and this time of year everything is amplified.

Let's all stick together and get through this - we are not alone!

Tara

Hi, Laurie!

I'm glad you're making progress and I understand how valuable our DC family is. Without their love and support, in June, when Buck died I don't know I would've survived.

I'm having great difficulty with this Christmas season but it's because I'm celebrating it alone. Buck so loved this season and his enthusiasm was infectious. Without him, I really don't care to do anything.

I forced myself to prepare food gifts for our usual recipients and delivered them with as much cheer as I could muster. I felt as though I was just "performing." Pasted on a smile and said, "Merry Christmas" as I handed each their baskets/bags.

Hang in there and lean on DC. It's truly a safe haven.

Hi, Laurie!

I'm glad you're making progress and I understand how valuable our DC family is. Without their love and support, in June, when Buck died I don't know I would've survived.

I'm having great difficulty with this Christmas season but it's because I'm celebrating it alone. Buck so loved this season and his enthusiasm was infectious. Without him, I really don't care to do anything.

I forced myself to prepare food gifts for our usual recipients and delivered them with as much cheer as I could muster. I felt as though I was just "performing." Pasted on a smile and said, "Merry Christmas" as I handed each their baskets/bags.

Hang in there and lean on DC. It's truly a safe haven.

Now, the half full version of your story:
Despite losing Buck, you went into your kitchen and resolved to get some holiday baking done. And you succeeded. Then, you packaged everything beautifully and hand-delivered your special food gifts to your friends and family who expressed their gratitude and love towards you for all your effort. I am sure the heartfelt thanks and hugs felt good, too.

Hmmm, doesn't sound so bad when you put it this way, does it?

This version of Katie's story tells the same facts but is much more positive and powerful. Kudos to you Katie. Kudos indeed!

Hi,

Although I am new here and we have not met, I understand what you are going through. Christmas is always a tough time for me too, having been raised by my bipolar alcoholic father and despondent mother -I suffer from PTSD (just realized this recently) and many things trigger me - loud voices, our toddler hurting himself, someone not listening to me, etc etc etc - and this time of year everything is amplified.

Let's all stick together and get through this - we are not alone!

Tara
Welcome to DC, Tara.

I have suffered from depression off and on for most of my life, and holiday blues are tough.
Something that has always made me feel better is to do something nice for someone else.
The Christmas after my mother had died the day before Thanksgiving, a young family had a fire and lost everything. A drop off point was established for donated clothing, but I wrapped up toys for their three young children tagging them, "from Santa," and my dad dropped them off.

You'd be surprised how much better it made me feel.

You don't have to spend money...just call some elderly person that is all alone and wish them Merry Christmas.

Okay, now for the tear jerker part of my story. A few years ago money was really tight as I was in school and DH got laid off and had a very difficult finding another job. We agreed to get each other something that had to be under $10.00 but was well thought out as something the other person really needed or wanted. That has become our tradition ever since and we love it. Part of my depression came from the fact I couldn't get out to shop on my own, my friends work and the one time I booked the disabled bus to go shopping it was cancelled due to snow.

So tonight I had a fire going and some homemade soy hot cocoa (DH is lactose intolerant). I stashed a lot of the junk that has been cluttering our living room from the flood into our unuseable bedroom and put all of our Christmas cards, my new ornament and some lit candles on the coffee table. Then I made a big pot of chowder and waited for him to come home. He was very touched.

Well, he asked me if I wanted to wait until Christmas to open our presents or do it earlier (he works that day). I told him that this evening was his present because he was out in the cold and because I couldn't get him anything. He then asked if I minded that he bought something for me to give him because he knew I couldn't get out on my own. Mind? I hugged him and cryed for about 15 minutes.

Folks, I have found my Little Christmas - here with all of you and in the arms of my wonderful loving husband.

I think I will be more than okay now.

Susan, thank you for your positive attitude and all your help. I hope it helps you find your "gumption" as well.

I have suffered from depression off and on for most of my life, and holiday blues are tough.
Something that has always made me feel better is to do something nice for someone else.
The Christmas after my mother had died the day before Thanksgiving, a young family had a fire and lost everything. A drop off point was established for donated clothing, but I wrapped up toys for their three young children tagging them, "from Santa," and my dad dropped them off.

You don't have to spend money...just call some elderly person that is all alone and wish them Merry Christmas.

:) That is what Christmas is all about giving and sharing to others that may not have much to celebrate at least to me I do not care about what I get etc but rather give a gift or a make a nice meal for someone else who just can't have a decent Christmas. I feel that we should not wait until Christmas to have goodwill to others but in fact have goodwill all year round which is why to me Christmas is kind of odd as I think we should be giving all year and not wait for a Holiday just to be kind.
OH, and I have been on Paxil for a few years and absolutley love it, it has changed my live and I have no intentions of getting off of it. EVER.:LOL:

I totally agree with that and this is why we help with the outreach banquet every year. It is incredible how it makes you feel. I was so happy that is was yesterday because it (and sharing with all of you) really helped to turn me around. Thanks, Constance, for sharing.

Well, I am going to finish the makosh tomorrow. I like to make the filling one day and the dough the next. Mr. Fazekas shall be getting a knock on his door either tomorrow evening or Tuesday morning.

You know, for anyone who has forgotten the spirit of Christmas they just need to come here and see the joy and love we share with each other every day. Sending hugs to Katie, and to Laurie, sharing goofy stories and secret santas. I love you all so much and I'm so glad to have this online family. You truly enrich my life. Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom