I need curtains

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikki

Sous Chef
Does anyone know where to find odd length curtains? I found ones I like and the color is good, but 84 in are too long and 63 in are too short. If I could sew I could hem the 84 in, but I cant sew to save my life.
I just thought someone on here might know where to get different length curtains.

Mikki, if you can't find the right length, you might consider using something like Steam-a-Seam or some other type of permanent fusible product that doesn't require sewing. Just cut to the correct length plus an inch or two to allow for the hem. To get a really clean hem, you could fold over 1" and fuse down. Then fold over again and fuse down. That way the raw edges will be neatly tucked away and help prevent fraying.

FWIW.

Most dry cleaners have people who do alterations (I used to do that), and there may be other people near you who sew who could do that for you. You could even ask at work, church, etc. Someone there might sew.

:)Barbara

send 'em to me I'll do it! I'm tired of making little pajamas. (but they are sooo cute!!)

If I can't find someone local to do them I'll take you up on your offer suzi. I guess I should have had my Gram teach me to sew too. She use to make everything.

mikki, I just used the fabric fusing on a set of curtains last week, and it looks great (and I can't sew to save my life!)

Hi Mikki! I sew and I happen to be in the same county as you! If you would like me to sew them that wouldn't be a problem. I will be in Lakewood on Monday so I could find a way to get them from you. Let me know!

We got lucky, our neighbor is an ex-seamstress and for a few bucks here and there she takes care of our sewing needs. We have an antique Singer and with her tutelage could probably re-learn how to sew (DW and I both learned long long ago) again, but since her husband is in Iraq and they need the money we are happy to pay her for now.

We have an antique Singer and with her tutelage could probably re-learn how to sew (DW and I both learned long long ago)
I love that you learned to sew. I just gave my 27 year old son a sewing machine after he spent the weekend here learning to mend and patch with a machine. He loved it and happily took the machine home with grand ideas about sewing a custom leather replacement seat cover for his vintage motorcycle. Maybe one weekend when ya'll have a little time, you and the DW could pick it up again? :LOL::LOL::LOL: (I'm laughing because I know you have little ones so the chances of you having extra time are laughable!)

Does anyone know where to find odd length curtains? I found ones I like and the color is good, but 84 in are too long and 63 in are too short. If I could sew I could hem the 84 in, but I cant sew to save my life.
I just thought someone on here might know where to get different length curtains.

If you really like them, I would invest the time or money to have them altered. Check the care/fabric label first so they don't shrink when cleaned after they are altered, i.e. prewash if washable.

Check & compare major stores on line. I googled curtain lengths, & this is only one site that came up.

curtain lengths - compare prices, research products, save money at Become.com

If you have an Anna's nearby, their prices are very reasonable.

Don't laugh (okay you can laugh if you want to ;)), but depending on your decor, I've found some interesting window treatments below. Some can be cut down. i.e. these string curtains (etc.). There are some interesting styles. Have fun.

String Curtains, Fringe Curtains, String Curtain Panel, Fringe Curtain Panel

(Saw an entire wall's length of these on HGTV, & the "look" was pretty cool - allowing the light in -- if you don't need total privacy.) I've ordered from them before, & have been very pleased.

Last edited:
I'm a cheap person,Walmart specials, I hate spending a bundle for something that hangs there. Thanks all, I'm going to take bean208 up on her offer to hem them for me, as she is local.

Oh man and I thought I was gonna get to see the UPS man again! He hasn't been here in awhile, I miss him.

Glad you found someone! :)

window toppers

If you really like them, I would invest the time or money to have them altered. Check the care/fabric label first so they don't shrink when cleaned after they are altered, i.e. prewash if washable.

Check & compare major stores on line. I googled curtain lengths, & this is only one site that came up.

curtain lengths - compare prices, research products, save money at Become.com

If you have an Anna's nearby, their prices are very reasonable.

Don't laugh (okay you can laugh if you want to ;)), but depending on your decor, I've found some interesting window treatments below. Some can be cut down. i.e. these string curtains (etc.). There are some interesting styles. Have fun.

String Curtains, Fringe Curtains, String Curtain Panel, Fringe Curtain Panel

(Saw an entire wall's length of these on HGTV, & the "look" was pretty cool - allowing the light in -- if you don't need total privacy.) I've ordered from them before, & have been very pleased.

windowtoppers.com is a site that i purchased a lot of drapes from. they offer custom lengths. have waverly fabric things. maybe they have what u need.

babe

In many years of living in odd houses, military quarters, etc, I've found J.C. Penneys to have the greatest variety of sizes for a reasonable price.

Back
Top Bottom