I need dumpling recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Farmer Jon

Sous Chef
All my dumplings and my wifes dumplings just disintegrated. What the heck is going on? Neither one of us have EVER made a good dumpling.
We want nice big fluffy dumplings and the hard round ones. Like the size of sausage links to put in saurkrout. And I want cherry and apple stuffed dumplings like grandma use to make.

These go great with Sauerbraten!

Potato Dumplings (Kartoffelklöße)

Ingredients:

6 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 cup flour, sifted
1 egg, beaten
1 Tbs Salt
4 tsp butter, melted
¼ tsp pepper
1 Tbs onion, chopped
Croutons
½ cup dry breadcrumbs

Instructions:

Boil the potatoes until a paring knife inserted in a potato meets little or no resistance. Press the potato through a potato ricer and add the flour, egg, onion and seasonings to form a dough.

Roll the potato dough into balls about the size of a golf ball. Press each ball down to flatten, insert 2 or 3 croutons into the center, and roll the dough around the croutons to form a dumpling.

Bring a large amount of salted water to a boil. Slowly lower the dumplings into the boiling salted water and boil them for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the dumplings from the water with a slotted spoon and drain them on paper towels.

Combine the butter and the breadcrumbs and spread them on a plate. Roll the dumplings in the buttered breadcrumbs to coat.

Last edited:
I don't think the recipe I have calls for eggs. Maybey I got it all wrong.

Sir loin that is an interesting recipe. I've never heard of anything like that. We will definitely be trying it.

Were just trying to make dumplings and saurkrout but got krout and mush.

I agree with CharlieD; it sounds like the lack of eggs is the problem.

It sounds like you are looking for a dense drop dumpling instead of a rising dumpling (like what is found in many chicken and dumpling recipes). My go to recipe for drop dumplings is 1 cup flour, 1 beaten egg, salt to taste, and just enough milk to get to the right consistency (Maybe 2-3 Tablespoons. I've been making them so long I don't need to measure anymore. Sorry that isn't very helpful). Dip your spoon in boiling water (this keeps the dough from sticking too much). Drop spoonfuls in boiling water and cook until they float. These go really well with sauerkraut. You can also use a potato dumpling, but I find these are just a bit more difficult to get right if you've never made dumplings before. They would also contain eggs.

Your recipe for potato dumplings looks really good SLoB.

I'm reminded of some potato dumplings I was served many years ago by a German relative however. I can eat most anything to be polite but hers made me gag. They were balls of what looked to be clear snot (no nice way to say it) smothered in gravy.
Do these potato "dumplings" sound familiar to anyone?

Last edited:
These go great with Sauerbraten!

Potato Dumplings (Kartoffelklöße)

Ingredients:

6 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 cup flour, sifted
1 egg, beaten
1 Tbs Salt
4 tsp butter, melted
¼ tsp pepper
1 Tbs onion, chopped
Croutons
½ cup dry breadcrumbs

Instructions:

Boil the potatoes until a paring knife inserted in a potato meets little or no resistance. Press the potato through a potato ricer and add the flour, egg, onion and seasonings to form a dough.

Roll the potato dough into balls about the size of a golf ball. Press each ball down to flatten, insert 2 or 3 croutons into the center, and roll the dough around the croutons to form a dumpling.

Bring a large amount of salted water to a boil. Slowly lower the dumplings into the boiling salted water and boil them for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the dumplings from the water with a slotted spoon and drain them on paper towels.

Combine the butter and the breadcrumbs and spread them on a plate. Roll the dumplings in the buttered breadcrumbs to coat.

My grandmother's recipe is similar. We bake the potatoes which eliminates any water absorption that could create the need for additional flour (same for gnocchi). My stuffing uses herb bread cubes, celery, onion, butter, chicken stock (if needed) and poultry seasoning. The dumplings are about the size of a baseball and are not rolled in anything after they are removed from the water. Our family "tradition" is to make extras that get refrigerated to slice and fry in butter as part of breakfast, instead of home fries or hash browns.

Last edited:
I agree with CharlieD; it sounds like the lack of eggs is the problem.

It sounds like you are looking for a dense drop dumpling instead of a rising dumpling (like what is found in many chicken and dumpling recipes). My go to recipe for drop dumplings is 1 cup flour, 1 beaten egg, salt to taste, and just enough milk to get to the right consistency (Maybe 2-3 Tablespoons. I've been making them so long I don't need to measure anymore. Sorry that isn't very helpful). Dip your spoon in boiling water (this keeps the dough from sticking too much). Drop spoonfuls in boiling water and cook until they float. These go really well with sauerkraut. You can also use a potato dumpling, but I find these are just a bit more difficult to get right if you've never made dumplings before. They would also contain eggs.
I want the dense ones and the big fluffy ones.

I make my dumplings with Bisquick.

27696-albums1087-picture7058.jpg

This is my gramma's egg dumpling recipe and luckily my mom got it written down. Also very much the same as the spaetzle recipe found in a Joy of Cooking cookbook. She lived to be 100, although I think we celebrated her BD a few months early.

These are good in soup, never tried them with chicken and dumplings. Guaranteed not to fall apart, actually they are kind of heavy although when they first come out of the pot they are lighter texture.

2 eggs
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour ( I sift the flour, not necessary probably)
1/2 c. water
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. double-acting baking powder

Beat eggs. Combine them well with flour, water, salt, baking powder.
Drop by teaspoons full, keeping them kind of separate as the dough falls in the pot. Simmer covered for 15 minutes.

Last edited:
The sister of 1 of my friends made dumplings her entire family just loved but wouldn't tell anybody how she made them. Finally, another sister got her to give up her secret. She used Pillsbury canned refrigerated biscuits. Flattened them out a little, cut them in strips, then layed them on top of the simmering chicken and sauce to cook.

Back
Top Bottom