"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2017, 06:39 PM   #1
Sous Chef

I need dumpling recipes

All my dumplings and my wifes dumplings just disintegrated. What the heck is going on? Neither one of us have EVER made a good dumpling.
We want nice big fluffy dumplings and the hard round ones. Like the size of sausage links to put in saurkrout. And I want cherry and apple stuffed dumplings like grandma use to make.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:58 PM   #2
Master Chef

These go great with Sauerbraten!

Potato Dumplings (Kartoffelklöße)

Ingredients:

6 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 cup flour, sifted
1 egg, beaten
1 Tbs Salt
4 tsp butter, melted
¼ tsp pepper
1 Tbs onion, chopped
Croutons
½ cup dry breadcrumbs

Instructions:

Boil the potatoes until a paring knife inserted in a potato meets little or no resistance. Press the potato through a potato ricer and add the flour, egg, onion and seasonings to form a dough.

Roll the potato dough into balls about the size of a golf ball. Press each ball down to flatten, insert 2 or 3 croutons into the center, and roll the dough around the croutons to form a dumpling.

Bring a large amount of salted water to a boil. Slowly lower the dumplings into the boiling salted water and boil them for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the dumplings from the water with a slotted spoon and drain them on paper towels.

Combine the butter and the breadcrumbs and spread them on a plate. Roll the dumplings in the buttered breadcrumbs to coat.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:19 PM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Jon View Post
All my dumplings and my wifes dumplings just disintegrated. What the heck is going on? ....
Not enough eggs?
Old 08-02-2017, 06:18 AM   #4
Sous Chef

I don't think the recipe I have calls for eggs. Maybey I got it all wrong.

Sir loin that is an interesting recipe. I've never heard of anything like that. We will definitely be trying it.

Were just trying to make dumplings and saurkrout but got krout and mush.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:03 AM   #5
Cook

I agree with CharlieD; it sounds like the lack of eggs is the problem.

It sounds like you are looking for a dense drop dumpling instead of a rising dumpling (like what is found in many chicken and dumpling recipes). My go to recipe for drop dumplings is 1 cup flour, 1 beaten egg, salt to taste, and just enough milk to get to the right consistency (Maybe 2-3 Tablespoons. I've been making them so long I don't need to measure anymore. Sorry that isn't very helpful). Dip your spoon in boiling water (this keeps the dough from sticking too much). Drop spoonfuls in boiling water and cook until they float. These go really well with sauerkraut. You can also use a potato dumpling, but I find these are just a bit more difficult to get right if you've never made dumplings before. They would also contain eggs.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:16 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

This looks good to me. I must give it a try.
Sauerkraut and Dumplings Recipe - RecipeTips.com

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:16 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
This looks good to me. I must give it a try.
Sauerkraut and Dumplings Recipe - RecipeTips.com
It would look a lot better with a 4lb Sauerbraten sitting next to it!
Old 08-02-2017, 01:38 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Your recipe for potato dumplings looks really good SLoB.

I'm reminded of some potato dumplings I was served many years ago by a German relative however. I can eat most anything to be polite but hers made me gag. They were balls of what looked to be clear snot (no nice way to say it) smothered in gravy.
Do these potato "dumplings" sound familiar to anyone?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:05 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
These go great with Sauerbraten!

Potato Dumplings (Kartoffelklöße)

Ingredients:

6 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 cup flour, sifted
1 egg, beaten
1 Tbs Salt
4 tsp butter, melted
¼ tsp pepper
1 Tbs onion, chopped
Croutons
½ cup dry breadcrumbs

Instructions:

Boil the potatoes until a paring knife inserted in a potato meets little or no resistance. Press the potato through a potato ricer and add the flour, egg, onion and seasonings to form a dough.

Roll the potato dough into balls about the size of a golf ball. Press each ball down to flatten, insert 2 or 3 croutons into the center, and roll the dough around the croutons to form a dumpling.

Bring a large amount of salted water to a boil. Slowly lower the dumplings into the boiling salted water and boil them for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the dumplings from the water with a slotted spoon and drain them on paper towels.

Combine the butter and the breadcrumbs and spread them on a plate. Roll the dumplings in the buttered breadcrumbs to coat.
My grandmother's recipe is similar. We bake the potatoes which eliminates any water absorption that could create the need for additional flour (same for gnocchi). My stuffing uses herb bread cubes, celery, onion, butter, chicken stock (if needed) and poultry seasoning. The dumplings are about the size of a baseball and are not rolled in anything after they are removed from the water. Our family "tradition" is to make extras that get refrigerated to slice and fry in butter as part of breakfast, instead of home fries or hash browns.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:47 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsGal View Post
I agree with CharlieD; it sounds like the lack of eggs is the problem.

It sounds like you are looking for a dense drop dumpling instead of a rising dumpling (like what is found in many chicken and dumpling recipes). My go to recipe for drop dumplings is 1 cup flour, 1 beaten egg, salt to taste, and just enough milk to get to the right consistency (Maybe 2-3 Tablespoons. I've been making them so long I don't need to measure anymore. Sorry that isn't very helpful). Dip your spoon in boiling water (this keeps the dough from sticking too much). Drop spoonfuls in boiling water and cook until they float. These go really well with sauerkraut. You can also use a potato dumpling, but I find these are just a bit more difficult to get right if you've never made dumplings before. They would also contain eggs.
I want the dense ones and the big fluffy ones.

Tags
recipe, recipes