"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-02-2005, 04:31 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

I need first aid help

I was working on my computer box the other day, and I made a cut at the back of my hand because I pull the cables too hard and ended up slicing a small piece of fresh off.

1. I was wondering if isopropyl rubbing alcohol (70%) is safe for disinfecting cuts. I read the label, and it only mentions about stiffness and bed sores. Therefore I wasn't sure. So is it a good idea to use it on open cuts?

2. If the above works, would iodine make a better disinfectant than alcohol?

I usally just slap a bandaid onto it, and still do. But would like to practice first aid properly.

Old 06-02-2005, 04:48 PM   #2
Master Chef

i did the same sort of thing earlier this week. i tore a big chunk out of my hand and was bleeding so badly i thought i'd need stitches.
i used lots of antibacterial soap and bandaids. if the band-aid got wet, i changed it right away.
i'm healing well now.

Old 06-02-2005, 06:17 PM   #3
Executive Chef

If it bleeds pretty good it is already cleaning its self out pretty good I think the alcohol would sting like h**l I pour on hydrogen peroxide stings a little then put on some neosporin and a bandaid.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:22 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Well, we'd probably hear you yell cross country if you poured rubbing alcohol on that cut. Hydrogen peroxide will clean it.

I cut my finger the night before Easter and ended up in the hospital emergency room because I'm on Coumadin and it would NOT stop bleeding for over 2 1/2 hours. It was a bit scary.

BC
Old 06-02-2005, 07:21 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
DON'T use alcohol... it'll clean it yes but man will it ever BURN. i think brooksy would hear ya all the way from australia !! peroxide will work just as well. it still might sting depending on how deep the cut is. iodine i think would be up there with the alcohol on the burn factor.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:59 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
I pour on hydrogen peroxide stings a little then put on some neosporin and a bandaid.
This is what I do also. Get neosporin that also has the pain reliever in it. I also use a liquid bandage. It keeps the wound clean and can stand getting wet and in dirty situations.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 11:46 PM   #7
Master Chef

yes, sierra's right. use liquid bandages.
liquid bandages are great. i've been using them for years.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:28 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Thanks everyone who has given suggestions.

I perfer not, or rather, stop using bandages. Why? Because I have been changing bandages in the last 5 days, and each time I rip one off, the hair at the back of my hand goes with it. Also, I don't like seen the skin at the back of my hand been streached as I rip it out.

By Day 2 of changing bandages, the hairs are all gone. They are only 5mm, but it still hurts.

Now my hands look funny. One has hair, and the other has missing hair.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:39 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Use the liquid bandaid. They are wonderful and even when you wash your hands won't come off. It's clear and so nobody even knows you have a bandid.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:26 AM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberian
...Now my hands look funny. One has hair, and the other has missing hair.
Don't worry about how your hand looks. It's already different because it has a big cut on it. The missing hair will grow back.

Using bandaids is proven to promote faster healing and less scarring than using nothing.