I need help with choosing DH's christmas.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
I'm in a real pickle trying to decide what to get him. It's only 2 things that I have to decide on.
He is a jack of all trades and uses his power tools for building. His miter saw is a regular Riobi saw. He has wanted a Ridgid 12" compound miter saw with the sliding arm and laser. But, he needs a new grill, the burner is broke on his old one and it's not real open for bigger meat as it has 2 extra shelves, so, getting a new burner won't make a lot of difference for him as far as cooking on it. Both the grill and the saw are the same price, so, that isn't a factor either. Now, WHICH ONE DO I GET HIM!???????? :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

img_360004_0_528e468708f00f25d820eebfcc8f0034.jpg

img_360004_1_17048f6b64466ca8321c2d11d71bf570.jpg

I brought the images in. I didn't do the links right.
I knew before I put it in here that most of you would say grill, LOL
I am leaning more towards the grill, as he has a saw, just not as good as the Ridgid.

I'd definitely go with the grill. 'Cause both of you can enjoy it.:rolleyes:

As for tools, I know Buck much prefers to select his himself. However, your DH may have already told you EXACTLY what kind of saw he wants. Still, I'd get the grill.

Texas,
that would be easy for me. DH would get the saw, I think he has used his grill maybe twice this summer to grill a hot dog as he irrigates. The rest of the time my s-i-l does any grilling I need for sundays...:LOL:
kadesma:)

LOL, the grill is winning.

DH has a saw, the only thing is that it's a standard 10" and when he cuts large pieces of wood, such as posts, he has to cut one side, turn it over and cut the other side for it to go through. Same with things wider than a 2x4. He does quite a few decks and things like that in the summer, but, if he had the grill, I would get more grilled dinners. LOL. Plus, he enjoys cooking outside and is wanting to build an outdoor kitchen, like on "License to Grill".
So, my dilemna is, easier workload for him or easier and better cooking.....

When is his birthday? If his birthday is before "grilling season" (I know, you can grill all year round but most do it in the warmer months), give him the saw now and the grill for his birthday. On the other hand, if he grills all year round, the grill would be a good choice. :cool:

:) Barbara

I thought of that one too, Barbara, but, it's in August!! :eek:(
Kinda messes up both gifts. I think the grill is going to be the gift this year. Maybe I can get him the saw for our Anniversary in February.

Barbara L said:
When is his birthday? If his birthday is before "grilling season" (I know, you can grill all year round but most do it in the warmer months), give him the saw now and the grill for his birthday. On the other hand, if he grills all year round, the grill would be a good choice. :cool:

I agree with Barbara. There is always Valentines Day or Fathers Day.

I saw the pictures of the grill and the saw. You could get him the grill for Christmas and save the saw for another holiday present.

I'd go with what he WANTS rather than what he needs. Does he prefer to use the saw to build, or does he prefer to use the grill? You said he has "wanted" a miter saw, and then said he "needs" a grill. I'm guessing he wants the saw!

Which will he use more? How often does he grill? How often does he use his saw?

I would go with whichever he will get more use out of.

Not sure on the sales. Ridgid doesn't go on sale often at all.
As for what he wants, that would be both. He wants so badly to build that outdoor kitchen, he can't stand it. I think I'm going to go with the grill, as he can still grill, even if it's cold. He won't use the saw until it warms up anyway.
Thanks for everyones imput, I really appreciate it!!

You're asking a bunch of foodies on a coking site whether they prefer a grill or a saw as a gift?:ROFLMAO:

I think you're "looking for" a certain answer!:angel:

TATTRAT said:
that grill is sexy, the saw, not so much:)

i'm not sure if it would have bothered me more if you said the saw was sexy. :ermm:
what you southerners won't do with your grills...

lol andy, i thought the same exact thing.

tg, get him the saw and let him build a new grill out of wood.

oh, wait, nevermind. it'd only work once. :)

buckytom said:
tg, get him the saw and let him build a new grill out of wood.

oh, wait, nevermind. it'd only work once. :)
But then he would get lots of use out of his saw, making more!

Back
Top Bottom