"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-06-2006, 05:50 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

raven, i can do you one better.

my first job just after some college was repairing old teletype equipment: model 40 printers, model 19 transmitters and the like. it was an experience, working at 300 baud, or worse yet, 20/60mA loops.

our routed a/v and control for our network ran on old northern electric stepping relays, like the phone company circa 1960.

an analog meter, contact restorer, and a burnishing tool were my weapons of choice back then. coffee stirrers kept the network on the air more than once.

sorry to hijack your thread jkath, but i don't often get to talk to old time weenies- er, i mean sysops, lol.

waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 07:00 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Yeah Sorry Jakth. Maybe we can get the mod to split the topic for us.

Now I don't remember the 20/60 loops but I have run 300 baud before (ARGH!) and I remember "Daisy Chain" LAN's too (another Arrgh!).

LOL! Love the coffee stirrers. A tech's gotta use what a tech's gotta use (I can't even begin to tell you all the odd "tools" I've found laying around the house). And once armed with VOM and a can of Tuner Cleaner there aint nothing you can't conqure! LOL!

I had a fellow sysop who was having problems with his system locking up on him while he was at work, so I took an old telephone answering machine, hooked a small relay into the tape servro and soldered on a length of wire and a 2 pin connection to the relay and plugged it into the reset socket on his motherboard

Since his BBS answered on the third ring and the anwering machine answered on the 4th anytime the BBS locked up you could just let it ring until you heard a "BEEP" and you knew it had just hit the re-set button

It worked so well I made 2 more, one for myself and one for another sysop.

~ Raven ~

A great nation is not built in a lifetime, but in the lifetimes of many. - Support our troops.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 07:14 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven
!

I had a fellow sysop who was having problems with his system locking up on him while he was at work, so I took an old telephone answering machine, hooked a small relay into the tape servro and soldered on a length of wire and a 2 pin connection to the relay and plugged it into the reset socket on his motherboard

Since his BBS answered on the third ring and the anwering machine answered on the 4th anytime the BBS locked up you could just let it ring until you heard a "BEEP" and you knew it had just hit the re-set button

It worked so well I made 2 more, one for myself and one for another sysop.

~ Raven ~

wow, that was probably the very first gpi interface!!! you shoulda patented it while you had the chance.
waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:57 AM   #14
Contest Winner

Wink

Jkath, It all boils down to a little of both Ideas, Your pictures should be saved as Jpeg and not Bitmap, Bitmap is much to large and takes to long on Dial-up which we are stuck on here. Just as soon as they have affordable DSL we will have it here. Their back in the Stoneage still here.
Buckytom and Raven , I started learning tube theory, when Solid-State was a new thing , In our High School Computer Club it took 35 to 40 minutes to load a Cassette Tape so you could play simple pong for 10 minutes till it was time for the next class , and Vic 20's were a wonder and still are for that matter . I worked with the then very popular 27 meg CB's when Land- Line was a popular buzz word !!!!! Along with "Do you got your ears on, Breaker one- nine, and I had a "Handle" . So MS DOS was High Tec in my Hey Day. Did I Mention When I Hit the Disco Floor "EVERYBODY WAS AMAZED" Leisure Suit and All . Did I SAY THAT ??????? ANYWAY ........
Have a "MAIDRITE DAY "
Old 02-06-2006, 01:16 PM   #15
Sous Chef

LOL! Maidrite you sound like your about our age! LOL!

I'm going to move this over to a new thread, I'm sorry Jkath we've just totally hijacked your thread.

I started another one called DOS Day Afternoon hee hee
~ Raven ~

A great nation is not built in a lifetime, but in the lifetimes of many. - Support our troops.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:05 PM   #16
Hospitality Queen

urmaniac got the prize! It worked! Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!

karma coming your way!
Old 02-08-2006, 05:51 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Great that you solved the problem!! You know it is something really easy to overlook until you run into some particular problems like this...

Now best of luck for cashing it all in!!
Old 02-08-2006, 07:05 AM   #18
Sous Chef

LOL! I didn't even think of image size.

My brain went straight to troubleshooting LOL!

~ Raven ~