I need to vent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I have been having the most frustrating time with SONY.

We have a Sony baby monitor. It has a rechargeable battery in it. The battery stopped taking a change after less than a year. There is no way that is right so I called the company. The first woman I spoke to was no help. I asked her how long the typical life of these batteries was. She said Sony does not have information like that. I asked her to send me a replacement battery. She said Sony was not set up to do that. WHAT???

So I ask to speak to someone higher up. She transfers me to tier two. The woman I spoke to was very nice and said the exact opposite of everything the previous woman told me. The battery should last at least three years and they would be happy to send me a replacement. Great, thank you!

Fast forward to 2 weeks later and no battery has arrived. I call back. They are not sure why I have not received it, but they will research it and someone will call me back. A few days later I still had not received a call. A call them and get the same story. Someone will call me back. Again no one ever does.

I lost track of how many back and forths I had with them, but one of the reps later on told me if looked like 9 or 10. I finally talk to someone who say the reason I do not have the battery is that they no longer make it. UMMMM why didn't anyone bother to tell me that???

I get a very nice and helpful woman on the phone who was determined to help me. She told me that they no longer are making my unit and that was the only one with that battery so they are not making that either. There are no more of those in their warehouse so they can't replace it with the same thing. What she can offer is to have me send mine back and when they get mine they will send a comparable model. Well that worked for me except that I did not want to be without the monitor for that long. Ours still worked, just not on battery power. We could still plug it in though and used it every day and night. She said someone from the warehouse would need to call me and she would have them do that, but what they could do is send out a new one and charge my credit card for it and then when they get mine back they would remove the charge. Not the perfect solution, but I was OK with that. Now all I had to do was wait for the warehouse to call.

Can you guess what happened? Sure you can...no phone call. To make a very long story short I finally get the replacement unit. Ready for the kicker? IT WAS THE EXACT SAME UNIT WITH THE SAME BATTERY THAT I ALREADY HAVE. So now I need to take the battery out and send back the same unit. I need to go out of my way to get the the post office (not an easy task by me) and pay for shipping and handling when all they needed to do (and what they originally said they would do) was open that package, take out the battery, and send it to me.

Needless to say I was furious. I called back yet again and gave them my 8 digit work order number that had been burned into my memory for weeks now. I asked to speak to a manager. Well I can help you sir said the woman who answered. I explained for the thousandth time my situation. She basically tells me that Sonys warranty does not cover shipping and handling so I am out of luck. I again ask to speak to a manager. She puts me on hold where I am treated to the same two songs they play over and over and over once again. after about 10 minutes she comes back and says her manager said there was nothing she could do either. That is not good enough. I still want to SPEAK to her. Well she is busy sir. I will wait. No I can't let you do that. I will give you her voicemail. Not a change. I have been promised callbacks by multiple people at Sony and never received one. So then she say well I am promising you that my manager will call you back. Sorry, but others have said the same thing. She says, well I have no reason to lie to you. What does that mean? The other people did??? I refuse to be put to VM and tell her that if that manager is not available then get another one and if no managers are available then get someone higher up. She puts me on hold again for another 10-15 minutes. Finally she comes back and her tone is much different this time. She is apologetic and her tone is very soft. She tells me that if she can get my email address then they will send me an email that I can print out and put on the package and that will take care of the charges. Finally. Of course I don't trust them to get it and claim they didn't receive it so i will still need to pay to have it tracked, but that will be money well spent.

I love Sony products, but this situation has really soured me against them.

My gosh! That is a reflection of my "ever since November 4th and still going currently" battle with MCI .
(52 phone calls and counting, $200 on my cell phone bill, since they kept me hostage and without a working phone line for almost a month, and everyone in the company, except 2, are outsourced. I am still receiving bills, and I know their one and only hold song quite well. I've even wrote lyrics to it.)

GB - I am so sorry for this! I'd recommend documenting any and all accounts and sending it to someone up high in the company. Or better yet, to your local news/newspaper. That'll get 'em up and running.

WOW....I hate when companies try to put you through the wringer after you bought their product... I mean what ever happened to "good" ole fashioned customer service... hope your blood pressure is back to normal, and that your baby has the monitor... :)

Gb... Vent away!!! You deserve it.

Companies should back their products 100%.

Oh WOW Jkath, 52 calls. That is INSANE!!! I sure hope that works out in the end (and real soon) for you.

The whole time when this woman was telling me she wouldn't pay the shipping I was thinking of all the Sony products I have in my house right now. The probably total $10,000. And I am thinking they won't pay $5 to keep a loyal customer happy?

Yeah Kim my blood pressure dropped as soon as she told me they would pay. Actually once I got the email from her with the shipping label that is when I got it back to normal :)

oh man, geebs - what a hassle. Sorry you (and jkath) have been jerked around so badly. I really don't understand how the concept of customer service died - nobody sent me the obituary.

Thanks Mud. The funny thing is my wife manages a customer service team and she heard some of the calls I made to them. She was yelling that if anyone on her team ever talked to a customer like that then she would have to fire them.

I know what you mean. When I had jobs that required dealing with the public, it never ever ever ever ever ever crossed my mind to trip them up, and my bosses knew it too.

What's happened? Is it the anonymity of the phone that lets "service" people get away with this crap?

GB said:
I actually plan on writing to the president and/or CEO.

Or your lawyer could. With copies to the Attorney General's office and the Better Business Bureau.

I seriously think you need to call "Help Me Hank" on Channel 7. Really.

My mom has Susan Warnicks (channel 5 news) cell phone number. I was thinking about giving her a call too.

I recently had a consumer question and asked Susan Wornick and Help Me Hank. Susan answered me within a half hour. I never heard from Hank.

GB. I'm so sorry I burdened you with my witty bitty problem. I didn't know you were having an awful time today. Verrrrrry sorrrrrrrrry.

licia you have nothing to be sorry about at all!!! Feel free to come to me anytime!!!

Makes you want to open a big ole can of whoop...um...arse on them doesn't it GB? I personally no longer buy Sony products because I have had so many of them die without warning, and you have just cemented my resolve.

Question: is this a general venting topic free to be pirated in different directions, or a topic to maintain integrity to the original post? I got some venting to do, but I don't want to improperly hijack a topic.

How I actually have that patience is beyond me . . . . .

GB and Jkath, I am so sorry to hear of your troubles!! I hate dealing with companies about returns or refunds. They will claim all sorts of things to get you to buy their products and then turn completely STUPID when it comes down to actually following through with their claims and promises! I hope you both get all straightened out real soon!!

Psst, jkath, love Curious George!!

Back
Top Bottom