"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-20-2011, 11:42 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

We 'older' folks know from years of experience what to pass on down. I learned to cook on a wood burning stove. I can still stick my hand in the oven and tell you if it is hot enough to put the cake in. But I know that, that information is not going to serve today's' younger cooks. But telling them to make sure the oven has reached the right temperature before placing the cake in is important. Placing the cake in before the oven is ready can be just one of the causes of cake failure.

It is this sort of information that we pass on that brings the younger new cooks back time and time again. Eventually, they become one of the older folks and pass on all they have learned. We have all suffered disasters in the kitchen at least once. And when we post it, we all can have a good laugh. Not at the cook, but with. Because we have "been there, done that."

Old 12-20-2011, 02:52 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
Alix's #2 is spot on. Plus we old folks have more recipes and techniques to share. And we know better jokes.
Fried Green Tomatoes , "I'm older and have more insurance!" Sorry but that popped into my mind when I read this.

"I'm older and know more jokes!"

Old 12-20-2011, 03:45 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

i see d.c. as my extended family. i have been a part of the forum for a very long time. reading and posting here is part of my daily routine. i learn something everyday. i can always count on everyone, to help me with a cooking question.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:52 PM   #14
Master Chef

I like the cool folks and the word association game here. I could be a bit nasty but that's just my nature, whether in person or on the net. :))
Old 12-20-2011, 04:21 PM   #15
Master Chef

I started on the TV food network site, they closed down, and someone directed me here to DC. I really like it because, before computers, more than once I've helped non-cookers (is there such a word?) in grocery stores quite often, and once a store employee came up to me after I explained why hydoponic lettuce might be worthwhile for some people and told me the store (I think it was Albertson's in Port Orange, FL) should hire me. Over the years, I've guided total strangers to purchases and it made me feel good. So when I can help someone here, it gives me the warm fuzzies.

But I also find that I can get a lot of advice on just about every subject and purchases. Many of your dearest and nearest have vested interest in what you purchase or do or cook. Here people seem more free to offer advice, and if you take it or leave it, no one loses face.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:29 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I love this site. Stumbled upon it in search of a few ideas, and the responses were wonderful! Everyone is so friendly and helpful. I have learned so much here. I have asked some stupid questions, have made some embarrassing gaffes, and continue to thoroughly enjoy the DC family! Love the crazy sense of humor here!
Old 12-20-2011, 08:32 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I love this site. Stumbled upon it in search of a few ideas, and the responses were wonderful! Everyone is so friendly and helpful. I have learned so much here. I have asked some stupid questions, have made some embarrassing gaffes, and continue to thoroughly enjoy the DC family! Love the crazy sense of humor here!
No question is stupid unless not asked.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:11 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

I'm brand new here. This is exactly what I'm looking for. This is very encouraging. I'm looking forward to contributing and being part of this community.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:15 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertoolchef
I'm brand new here. This is exactly what I'm looking for. This is very encouraging. I'm looking forward to contributing and being part of this community.
Welcome to DC, Powertool!
Old 12-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Love the crazy sense of humor here!
I am still cracking up over the one about the restaurant called Flame and going out of business because of a fire. I always try to find one laugh a day. And you folks have not let me down yet.

Oh, one more thing. Welcome Powertool.