I Need Your Help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I enjoy this site because folks are tolerant of others at all levels from the professional to the novice. I would not stay long on a site where flaming was accepted or allowed. No one here has to worry if their spelling or grammer is less than academic (see, I'm never sure how to spell that word.) and no one here need be concerned that their question will make them look foolish. None of us will be the first to have any particular problem. Additonally I enjoy the fact that while this is above all a cooking site, other conversations are allowed and even encouraged. People do tend to drift in and out but I think that most of that comes from dealing with life off-line. We may drop out when life is hectic but we always come back. Even after 40 years of cooking I learn so very much here. For years I couldn't figure out why my meringue pies weep and when I asked here someone put me on to the answer. (I had even contacted the county extension office for an answer and they could not help me.) I may get 10 answers and one of them is bound to take care of my problem. Additonally we all know that the answer that we get may not do the trick but we also know that everyone here is anxious to be of help. You can't really ask for much more than that can you?

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. My username should say powertoolchef, but that's okay. I look forward to making you all laugh. I actually teach guys how to pamper their wives and girlfriends by cooking gourmet meals using power tools.

"Nothing says love like a compound miter turkey breast." says Chef Francois

As a younger but mature member (not one of these hooligans out for a full on flame war) I come back because I feel DC is a real strong community, and I trust what everyone says here. You ask one question, and the lovely people here provide 100 different answers or pieces of advice. I couldn't ask for more.

You might want to look at a couple of factors as well.

1. Proportion of teachers on the site (this facilitates an atmosphere of learning rather than grab and run)

2. Age of posters. (No one hit me! In general, the younger the posters, the more likely it is there will be flaming and nasty attitudes, we have older posters who are more likely to give you a very polite, well thought out, and SCATHING set down than swear at you)

Thats very interesting alix, that there are lots of teachers on the site!
so what would you consider the average age of members is in the community?

Thanks everyone so much for all your replies it has been really helpful and it just shows how much the community means to people.

From my experience there seems to be very little evidence of people taking advantage of the site and using it to gain commercially( which is great). How do you think this has been achieved? Obviously people make recommendations about cook books and products, but these seem to be third party items and not for self gain?!

Thanks everyone so much for all your replies it has been really helpful and it just shows how much the community means to people.

From my experience there seems to be very little evidence of people taking advantage of the site and using it to gain commercially( which is great). How do you think this has been achieved? Obviously people make recommendations about cook books and products, but these seem to be third party items and not for self gain?!

We have a very active Moderation and Administration Team that does not allow it.

I enjoy the humor, relish the recipes, and come back time and again for the encouraging words the folks here offer. I was always an acceptable cook but did not stray too far from my comfort zone. This place has given me the courage to try new things and learn new things. If I want a recipe or technique there is usually one here that fits the bill and I can trust that it will work! It's not a fussy site where you are shunned if you take short cuts (canned cream of soup anyone?)

Hey guys! We missed one for the Shunning List. :ohmy:
Good catch, Andy!;)Of the forums I've been on, and I've only been here almost a year, this is the only one where "Flaming" does not happen. We've had a few trolls show up, but they disappear quickly, thanks to our moderators. Besides sharing an interest in food, folks share an interest in one anothers' lives. If s/one who posts regularly has not posted, we worry about that person. Perhaps the community is similar to those who would host a potluck--food shared is one of the fastest ways to make new friends.

Last edited:
Happy new year every one!! I hope you all ate your fill of fine foods over the festive period.
I wanted to thank you all again for helping me with my research. I have another quick question that I would really appreciate if you could answer and ask others to answer too.

On a scale of 1- 10 how likely would you be to recommend this site to a friend.

Simple as that!!

Thanks again and please asked others to post too!!

I try to get people to try DC when I know they would enjoy the site and have great recipes I want them to share.

Back
Top Bottom