I Need Your Help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pichet

Assistant Cook
I was undecided about where to start this discussion so settled for here in the end. If anyone thinks it could be better location please let me know!:LOL:

I am doing a masters right now in Dublin City University and part of it is focusing on online behavior. Seeing as I was already a member of this community and you are such a friendly bunch I thought I would focus my attention here! :angel:

I have contacted a few of you directly already and thank you so much for your feedback.

Any advice or information that anybody could give me would be really appreciated.

My main focus is that by their very nature cooking forums have a lot of people that may only visit the site a few times and not necessarily contribute very much. They come get their recipe and don't come back.

However this community seems to have built up lots of very committed members with a genuine concern for each others well being.

I wanted to find out why members are tied to the site and what brings them back. Why do you love the site and what makes it stand out over other sites.

Again any feedback is really really appreciated even if that's telling me that you feel my questions are inappropriate which I will completely understand if you feel that way.

Thanks again

Pichet :chef:

What brings me back is the friendliness. No back biting or snide remarks. And definitely the moments of laughter. :chef:

I have definitely founded it to be very friendly alright Addie. I think it is genuinely touching that members are concerned for other members when they havent been around for a little while

DC is family. I can't think of anything else. I'd rather spend my free time here, than anywhere else.

You might want to look at a couple of factors as well.

1. Proportion of teachers on the site (this facilitates an atmosphere of learning rather than grab and run)

2. Age of posters. (No one hit me! In general, the younger the posters, the more likely it is there will be flaming and nasty attitudes, we have older posters who are more likely to give you a very polite, well thought out, and SCATHING set down than swear at you)

You can look daily at the bottom of the main page, and see how many users and how many guests visit the site and get a proportion of users/guests (guests may only be visiting) while users come back time and time again. You can also look at the user's profiles and see how often they come to post (by their posts) and how long they've been members. That will give you an idea of the people here.

I come back because I like hearing about new recipes to inspire me daily. The recipes here are often tried and true (TNT) (by reliable members) compared to searching google or blogs and sometimes finding recipes that have not been tried out. If you use the search function at the top, you can find information on recipes or ingredients and their discussions for a couple of years.And I like the people here.

The family atmosphere here keeps me coming back. It's the perfect guest, you get to finish your sentences, express your ideas, and trade cooking hints.

You don't have to clean your house for their company, or dress up, and when you're done, you don't have to say goodbye, it's time to leave, you just go about your business, and check in with everybody later.

The family atmosphere here keeps me coming back. It's the perfect guest, you get to finish your sentences, express your ideas, and trade cooking hints.

You don't have to clean your house for their company, or dress up, and when you're done, you don't have to say goodbye, it's time to leave, you just go about your business, and check in with everybody later.

I can't improve on that one, except to add that I like that it's wide-ranging and good-natured.

I keep coming back because there is a plethera of information here. Expertise on almost anything you need to know. You can ask one simple question and learn so much from all the response you get.

Plus...there are some truly sweet, good hearted people here. Great personalities that just jump right out at ya...lol.

We 'older' folks know from years of experience what to pass on down. I learned to cook on a wood burning stove. I can still stick my hand in the oven and tell you if it is hot enough to put the cake in. But I know that, that information is not going to serve today's' younger cooks. But telling them to make sure the oven has reached the right temperature before placing the cake in is important. Placing the cake in before the oven is ready can be just one of the causes of cake failure.

It is this sort of information that we pass on that brings the younger new cooks back time and time again. Eventually, they become one of the older folks and pass on all they have learned. We have all suffered disasters in the kitchen at least once. And when we post it, we all can have a good laugh. Not at the cook, but with. Because we have "been there, done that." :chef:

Alix's #2 is spot on. Plus we old folks have more recipes and techniques to share. And we know better jokes.
Fried Green Tomatoes , "I'm older and have more insurance!" Sorry but that popped into my mind when I read this.

"I'm older and know more jokes!"

i see d.c. as my extended family. i have been a part of the forum for a very long time. reading and posting here is part of my daily routine. i learn something everyday. i can always count on everyone, to help me with a cooking question.

I started on the TV food network site, they closed down, and someone directed me here to DC. I really like it because, before computers, more than once I've helped non-cookers (is there such a word?) in grocery stores quite often, and once a store employee came up to me after I explained why hydoponic lettuce might be worthwhile for some people and told me the store (I think it was Albertson's in Port Orange, FL) should hire me. Over the years, I've guided total strangers to purchases and it made me feel good. So when I can help someone here, it gives me the warm fuzzies.

But I also find that I can get a lot of advice on just about every subject and purchases. Many of your dearest and nearest have vested interest in what you purchase or do or cook. Here people seem more free to offer advice, and if you take it or leave it, no one loses face.

I love this site. Stumbled upon it in search of a few ideas, and the responses were wonderful! Everyone is so friendly and helpful. I have learned so much here. I have asked some stupid questions, have made some embarrassing gaffes, and continue to thoroughly enjoy the DC family! Love the crazy sense of humor here!

I love this site. Stumbled upon it in search of a few ideas, and the responses were wonderful! Everyone is so friendly and helpful. I have learned so much here. I have asked some stupid questions, have made some embarrassing gaffes, and continue to thoroughly enjoy the DC family! Love the crazy sense of humor here!

No question is stupid unless not asked. :chef:

I'm brand new here. This is exactly what I'm looking for. This is very encouraging. I'm looking forward to contributing and being part of this community.

powertoolchef said:
I'm brand new here. This is exactly what I'm looking for. This is very encouraging. I'm looking forward to contributing and being part of this community.

Welcome to DC, Powertool!

Love the crazy sense of humor here!

I am still cracking up over the one about the restaurant called Flame and going out of business because of a fire. I always try to find one laugh a day. And you folks have not let me down yet. :LOL:

Oh, one more thing. Welcome Powertool.

Back
Top Bottom